Needing a new streaming device, advice please?

You have it.
Certified means that you can get the premium services directly from the Playstore without side loading and get HD picture quality.

The main Troy point has a list of “stock” Android ie uncertified, and Android TV OS devices.

The Google Certification also requires standards of quality in the software and updates. This certification assures software quality, but also comes with certain restrictions on what the software can do and download as well as feedback from users.
Stock Android comes without restrictions so the buyer should do research on the device as malware and updates are not assured. Thus the terms restricted and unrestricted devices are appropriate.
Stock Android devices are usually less expensive with more free memory and downloads are only limited by the users imagination and desires. An unrestricted streaming device paired with a Smart TV, Roku TV or other device with access to the thousands of legal and verified apps is potentially very powerful and useful.

1 Like

There are plenty of system & cache cleaners you can use with stock android that identify and isolate any apps with potential malware, such as DefSquid, SD Maid, Malwarebytes, etc. None of my open source apps have had any problems in this regard. As others at Troypoint have mentioned however, it is absolutely critical to use a VPN at all times when using your streaming device. I have never had any issues using “uncertified” stock android devices and actually prefer them to certified devices for all the reasons you so clearly mentioned. Thanks much for sharing the information.

2 Likes

Well not sure why you want to leave firesticks, you don’t HAVE to jailbreak them. Otherwise if you don’t have a smart tv, get a Roku stick. . getting cheaper, close to firestick cost, but you can’t jail break them, but most apps seem to load. Have them on 3 TVs (along with jailbroke firesticks ;o), and easy to navigate. Our newest TV is a Roku Smart TV so now now to navigate.

2 Likes

I’ve used Firsticks and a cheap Dynalink for years. Got a Mecool KM1 Deluxe a month or so ago and love it. Powerful with 4gb Ram,and 32 gb internal storage (more than a Shield Pro) – you probable never have to use the usb drive for storage. It was $60 with discounts. Funny though, I looked at the Mecool website yesterday and couldn’t find it (the “Deluxe”). I think “Elginherd” got one a couple weeks ago and is happy with it.(?) It is also Google certified so has those advantages and disadvantages.

Of course we all have “ownership - bias”, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But it seems like a powerful box for the price, and think I won’t have to upgrade for a longish while.

1 Like

I did Carlbs…and I do really like the KM 1. More important, my wife can use it without any issues.

I looked it up again and they did have any with a USA wall wart. That wouldn’t deter me too much, but I wouldn’t recommend any work arounds to a lot of people I know, no matter how simple.

1 Like

I think you are saying that you didn’t see these anymore at wall wart. And I didn’t see any at the Mecool website. Work arounds?

Yeah, the work around for a European or English plug would be to buy an adapter or buy a 120v to 5v, 1A output transformer with the proper output plug. It’s more shopping and a few more dollars.

Wall warts = transformers that plug directly into a wall outlet.

1 Like

Ah, I see what you are saying. The Euro models with the Euro plugs are still available. Wall wart…I thought it was some sort of slang for Walmart lol.

1 Like

Amazon has these now: I may try to sneak one in pass the Wife if I dare…but then again she’s pretty good at spotting the Delivery Trucks nowadays…

Ugoos UT8 PRO TV Box Android 11 DDR4 8GB RAM 64GB ROM RK3568 WiFi 6 1000M LAN BT5.0 USB 3.0 Set Top Box 4K 60fps HDR Box

2 Likes

Great choice. Good luck with the lady of the house. :confounded::confounded::confounded:!!!

2 Likes

I have the ut-8 and its very powerful rk box. Had it since they came out and never an issue and actually a few updates that went well. Never had a problem with any ugoos box. Root switch(not really needed) and built in samba server thats better than anything you can find in the app stores. Beast mode :skull_and_crossbones: :skull: :skull_and_crossbones:

3 Likes

Ditto. Nvidia Shield notwithstanding, I think Ugoos has the best combination of performance and freedom to download any apps of any streaming device.

1 Like

Both are very good boxes I have both and like each has its own should I say better qualities. But both are top notch in my book :+1:

1 Like

Seems like the pros for the Shield are they have audio codecs that are important if you have an entertainment system and don’t just plan on using the tv speakers. Apparently Buzz does not. Pros for the Buzz box seem to be the storage and wifi 6. What else am I missing?

1 Like

The shield will get updates for a while, not sure about buzz tv. Shield has all ya certified streaming apps if ya need that.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

I have a nvidia shield. It is great but expensive.
I also have a couple of the tivo stream 4k.
My tivo will do almost all the nvidia shield does but for $39.99.
It is on sale for $29.99 often. The only difference is the way
you side load apps.

1 Like