Needing a new streaming device, advice please?

I agree elginherd, The Mecool line might fit the ticket. What about an Onn or chromecast with google?

2 Likes

Any mecool with 4gb ram, for gaming if needed, android tv os if certs matter.

Miki, the ‘gaming’ requirement makes the ONN or Chromecast less than Ideal…and truthfully the Max, also. 4 GB of RAM is more important than all sorts of ROM. The MeCool that I recently bought would seem to fit her needs.

I’m not directing this at you Miki, but at all of us:
In another life, I used to sell musical instruments & equipment. First thing about sales is to ‘qualify’ the customer. That’s why I’m seeking her answers regarding comfort, budget & if she’s wanting to use verified apps. Most of the regulars on this board are willing to hook extra stuff up, trouble-shoot, work around setting up OS’s not designed to work with TV, etc, etc. What might not seem like a lot of trouble or expertise to us is often confusing to people on limited incomes whose only interest is to watch TV with as little effort as possible.

1 Like

Not really the case. Stock android usually will have just as much, if not more apps available on App Stores or the internet than Android TV. I’ve had both, including Nvidia Shield and have found more options for downloading and sideloading apps with both generic and quality brand name streaming boxes with stock android. About the only thing stock android won’t do is provide more than standard definition streams on Netflix, Amazon Prime, and other premium streaming services, which you can remedy by installing them directly from the App Store on your smart tv.

2 Likes

Any other s905x4 boxes out there that people have used? Be good to get some feedback on different brands.

What about ugoos x4q pro?

Yes more apps, but not more verified apps.
Right now my main daily driver is a stock Android 11 box and I really like it. And there’s no doubt that the money/performance ratio is more favorable with stock boxes, but our OP isn’t a techie by any means. So a certified Android box would be what I’d sell her if I was a salesman, around $70, +10 bucks.

TP makes that point very well.

1 Like

Is the Ugoos certified?

I have several ugoos boxes and have nothing bad to say. Stock android all the way and powerful. I wish they kept the x4 on amazon then more Americans would try it. I have 2 x4’s in use right now.

1 Like

You’re a techie TX. Our OP appears to want something that is as easy or easier than a FS to get up and going plus she wants to use Hulu.
She needs a certified box.

1 Like

Excuse me but since when have you became the HR dept at Troypoint. Personally I can see what she typed and do not need interpretation or instructions on how to offer advice.

2 Likes

The OP didn’t say anything about gaming. They said “cheap” and that was what I suggested.

1 Like

Well, there is another solution to make things a bit simpler. That is to buy a smart tv with the android TV o/s like Sony, Hisense, etc. and download the needed apps directly onto the tv rather than onto a separate streaming device. I did that with my son’s Sony TV and no problems with any downloads.

2 Likes

@Nicolereagan55, I went with a mecool km2 awhile back, followed the instructions from troypoint - MECOOL KM2 Review – Android TV Box with Netflix Certified 4K - including the 256g usb, and have been TOTALLY satisfied ever since…had firesticks for 4 yrs prior. Simple to set up & worry free since… Good luck in your search…

5 Likes

She did mention “retro gaming”…I don’t know how much RAM would be at least adequate.

I just re-read her OP.
She wants simple, cheap and needs an OS that is optimized for verified stuff.
Seems to me that means something that doesn’t need extra wires or other stuff.

Would one something that has 2 GB of RAM do for that?

Nicole’s post would pretty much fit what my wife’s would ask for😁

What about firetv cube 3rd gen? Seems a fast device but only 2gb ram.

2 gb ram is just fine for streaming, more is better, but ok

1 Like

RE: S905x4…

I hv 2 X96x4 stock android boxes (uncertf) that hv the Amlogic s905x4 & they rock… (4g - 64g) loads fast, menues are quick, use any launcher, tons of settngs for evrythng
(google/chrome, netflix, kodi, playstore, pre-installd)

& just got an H96 Max with 8g ram (rk3566) so it is now the queen bee

hth…

2 Likes

& heres a quick comparison & specs tool for processors

Enter 2 processors & it compares 4 basic categories/graphs)

• ex: amlogic S905 vs rockchip RK3566
    (duz all kinds of processors)

GL…

2 Likes

I’m a bit fuzzy on what a “certified” device is, unless uncertified means that it only has permissions to stream premium services, (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.) in 480p. Please clarify. Thanks. If all your friend uses are “certified” apps, these can usually be loaded directly from the App Store on their smart tv rather than having to buy a separate android streaming box. Once set up however, you can simplify any stock android box anyway you like and use a variety of simple Home Screen launchers to easily access your apps.