Modem security options

I have Xfinity 600 mbps down 20 mbps up and Netgear AC1900 modem router.
Does anybody know if my security settings are correct for best speeds?
modem

1 Like

looks ok there, are you having issues?

2 Likes

My speeds were 400 down and 15 up on a 500 mbps plan. Xfinity upgraded me to 600 mbps down and 20 up. Now I can only get 280 down and 22 up on a good day.

sounds about like xfinity

2 Likes

@MCat

Id change your up to 600 to higher, your modem will just max out at the highest

3 Likes

Hey @MCat First thing I’d do is hook up an ethernet cable to something & check speeds hardwired (that’s the “up to” standard ISPs use) just to make sure your ISP is providing the speeds your paying for. I would check in peak & off peak hrs also. This way you can eliminate (or blame) your ISP for providing agreed upon speeds…& go from there. :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

I have the same router with the same settings (only difference is, I have a 20/40 co-existence option on 2.4GHz wireless checked). It worked fine for me with Google Fiber (1Gbps). I was routinely getting 600-700mbps (wired). Definitely something wrong if you’re only getting 280Mbps with the new speed vs 400 with the old!

2 Likes

@MCat

Process of elimination.

Disconnect everything, hook up the isp supplied modem hardwire it to a computer run a test. If you get your speeds, its something els.

6 Likes

That is max. My modem / router will only go to 600 mbps.

I check my speeds on a laptop that is hard wired. Even tried in the middle of the night. Still no joy.

I have Xfinity coming out Saturday. Will let everyone know what if anything they find.
Thanks for all the tips.

1 Like

The netgear ac1900 is the only modem/router I have.

Copy all that MCat…if you want to get a little heads up on your Comcast tech that’s gonna check things out…open a web browser & type in 192.168.100.1 in the address bar…that should bring up your Netgear modem (altho, I’m not sure if the gateways are accessed together or separately these days, I have separate equipment) but you can check your incoming/outgoing signal levels thru your modem…link below is what parameters they should be…I prefer the downstream (Rx) levels to be -5 to +5 dbm…but the SNR & the Upstream (Tx) levels they show are sound parameters for 256 QAM. For all I know your problem could be a bad cable or fitting…but that’s the techs job to figure out…this will give you an idea of the basics your tech will be looking at…hopefully, along with a thorough check of your home network, but they are only responsible for so much. If you do pull up your modem & see any numbers that are way off…please report back. GL2U :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

my up stream led is amber
52 dBmV maximum for A-TDMA, TDMA & SC-QAM (DOCSIS 3.0)

OK @MCat Well done…looks like your upstream (Tx) is running a bit hot…you’re at the top end of acceptable levels…your SNR looks great…downstream is within parameters but if the tech can get your Rx closer to 0-ish db…that would be optimal…& it would also drop your Tx down. He should be aware right away when he checks everything with his meter & troubleshoot/act accordingly…if he/she’s good at their job. :crossed_fingers: Don’t think this is your speed problem but it could be a factor…most of the time when you have a hot Tx number it causes your modem to drop connection intermittently. Not being familiar with your wiring/setup it’s hard to speculate exactly what the problem is…plus, I’m not as sharp as I used to be back in my workin’ days. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

thanks
I will let you know what happens Saturday with the tech.

2 Likes

Do I go + or - on attenuator to get -4.7 dBmV to zero.
I curently have a 10 DB Attenuator Pad installed.

Where is the attenuator in the cable setup…& why do you have one…is your signal from the tap that strong? Do you have other equipment other than internet?

at the modem
I was high when tech did install.
He said it would come down in warmer weather.
I did not get a warm fuzzy felling from him so I put one in.
He was one of those in and out fast fast and get more compensation for more installs per day.

Just internet and VoiP phone.

Pull it & check your #s again…you need some more signal, which will cool off your Tx also. I’m not crazy about any splitters or attenuators etc that aren’t coming from your ISP…they are tested & proven there but are a ??? when bought online or at a Radio Shack et al. Very curious to see what this does when removed.