Modem security options

Tx came down

Copyā€¦Iā€™d rather see a +6 Rx than an almost 53 Txā€¦just for fun, do a speed test now & see whatchaā€™ get.

293 Mbps
came up a bit about 30 Mbps
Should I try a 6db attenuator?

I wouldnā€™tā€¦Iā€™d leave it aloneā€¦6 db isnā€™t gonna hurt you at allā€¦but 45 db on the upstream is way better than almost 53! Nopeā€¦Iā€™d let it beā€¦itā€™s just fine. Iā€™m scratching my head on your speed coming downā€¦not sure if itā€™s on your end or the cable plantā€¦maybe something at the tapā€¦hopefully, your tech takes the time to figure it out & not worry about getting to their next job.

thanks for the help
10:15 pm here
have to get some sleep, work tomorrow
will log on again Tuesday night

1 Like

By removing the 10 DB Attenuator and restarting modem the upstream amber led is now off.
Hopefully the tech can address my low speeds Saturday.
Will post results Saturday evening.

1 Like

Roger that MCatā€¦kindaā€™ impressed that your gateway has warning lights for signal parametersā€¦pretty cool feature. If I had one Iā€™d be fiddling around with my signal to see exactly where they were setā€¦altho, itā€™s probably right there in the manualā€¦ha ha.

1 Like

Ok here is my up date.
The original tech replaced all the connections on my coax.
Claims I was getting 1300 Mbps on his test equipment.
Iā€™m paying for 600 Mbps and getting 300 Mbps on a network connected laptop speed test on a good day.
Tech said he is putting in a work order to replace the coax from the pole to my house because it is old.
Nobody came.
I scheduled an appointment for yesterday, no show again.
Was on the phone with Xfinity for over an hour tonight.
After all their testing they said to contact my modem/router manufacture Netgear.
Ask to have my modem/router configuration checked.
Netgear basically said to pay $138 for the one year service package because Iā€™m past the 90 free coverage.
Unbelievable
I was paying for 300 Mbps and getting 300 Mbps. Got a free upgrade to 500 Mbps and was getting 400 Mbps. Got another free upgrade to 600 Mbps and now getting 300 Mbps.

Sounds like your tech was an hourly in-house Comcast guy & didnā€™t want to run a new house drop for youā€¦let the contractors hang itā€¦ha ha. Thatā€™s okā€¦now, if heā€™s getting 1.3gigs coming into your house (over an old house drop) & youā€™re only getting 300megs out of your gatewayā€¦then, assuming he & his meter are correctā€¦itā€™s sounding like your gateway is maybe the problemā€¦or possibly a setting of some kind in your gatewayā€¦? I assume you checked hardwired speeds thru all 4 ethernet ports & they all only max out @ 300Mbpsā€¦& wifi also same. I would like to have seen your tech hook up one of their gateways & checked your speeds thru itā€¦as that wouldā€™ve definitely shown your gateway as the culpritā€¦or not. You can always go to the local Comcast shop/office or have one sent to you to see if your equipment is the problem. I donā€™t know MCatā€¦Iā€™d rather see you figure out for sure what the snafu is before you go spending big $$$ on another gateway.

3 Likes

@pangaeatech

Good point, ether its the isp modem or gateway, or the old lines. If he tested the incoming connection and everything was in the right order, line noise flaps and what not then it would have to be the modemā€¦ the tech should have tested the isp maintained equipmentā€¦

Id fight this. Aslong as you removed all your own routers and stuff and did a hard check on a wired connection on a 10/1000 connection.

@MCat

2 Likes

Iā€™m not buying anything theyā€™re telling you. If they claim to be getting 1300mbps at the house on their equipment, have them substitute yours to confirm. Then you can trace where (if anywhere) the problem is. Iā€™m still convinced its their setup and nothing to do with the line or your equipment. Unfortunately, these ā€œtechsā€ usually arenā€™t the sharpest tools in the box!

2 Likes

MCatā€¦a couple of more thingsā€¦I wouldnā€™t be overly concerned about the replacement of your house drop cable at the momentā€¦yes, itā€™s probably old & needs replacement (generally 7 yr life span for aerial drops) but if the tech got anywhere near the speed he told you, & didnā€™t mention any other signal related problemsā€¦I would say your house drop cable is definitely not a concern for now. To give you & everyone some contextā€¦the ISP (Comcast) is responsible for everything (the quality signal & connection you contracted for) from their service tap at the utility pole to the house box where the drop cable comes in & connects to a ā€œproperly groundedā€ ground block. All internal wiring is your responsibility (unless they installed it) as is any equipment that is not owned by Comcast. If they have to repair anything inside the home thatā€™s not theirs, then itā€™s considered a service call & will cost you their going rates. Now, with that being saidā€¦could/should your tech have disconnected your gateway & hooked up one of theirsā€¦then taken a signal test AFTER it to show the signal strength you contracted for (I wouldā€™ve) but each technician is different. Thatā€™s why (before you buy new equipment) I would suggest you rent a Comcast gateway for a monthā€¦or just get one & try it out for a day to confirm the problem is your personal equipmentā€¦you can always take it back the next day & say nevermind, Iā€™ve decided to use my own equipmentā€¦they may prorate your rental to just a day or two. Hope all this makes sense :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

He did do some checks just before my owned modem/router.

I checked all four ethernet ports on my modem / router to a windows 7 lap top,
299, 320 293 344 Mbps
wifi 43 Mbps

IPhone 12 pro Max
wifi 178 Mbps

1 Like

is this a comcast router? Is it possible this is a 300mb capped router. Its what it sounds like.

Netgear C7000v2 good to 600 Mbps
Modem / Router
I own it.
Out off 90 day warranty.
Thatā€™s why No one wants to touch it.
Xfinity says it not out modem
Netgear wants you to get $139 service plan.
Going to try and get Xfinity box to test with somehow.

Pick one up at local Comcast store or they will mail one to youā€¦not sure if they charge to ship their equipment these daysā€¦but always askā€¦they are sneaky with hidden costs. Monthly rentals are probably around $14/moā€¦hopefully, not higher but depends on region. If gateway works & you get your 600Mbps youā€™ll have your answer & can go on from thereā€¦I know going thru this is a pain in the buttocksā€¦so good luck :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

xfinity in my area has their new super-duper gig router free with 1 year contract and unlimited data. Not a bad deal but I have all my own equipment and the trick here is that you forget after a year and the charges kick in :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes