Live tv freezing after 2 mins

Dear all. I have a very strange issue for which I have tried all the obvious solutions.
My fire stick will stop playing LIVE tv after 2 mins. This happens on apps and Kodi.
I can stream films etc using apps and Kodi without issues. It just happens with LIVE tv.
Has anyone else had the same issue, or any solutions.
I have done a hard reset, reinstalled all apps, use a wired connection and a vpn.

Regards Mark.

1 Like

What are you using to watch the live tv? An app or a Kodi addon? Is it something that you have to use your own login and password?

2 Likes

Hi Shayde. Im am using both. A standalone app and Kodi. Both freezes after 2 mins. Neither needs a log in.

1 Like

Public live tv right now is not reliable. Most addons can be working fine one day and then not so good the next. Usually buffering like you’re experiencing means too many people are on the server at one time. Like congestion on the freeway at rush hour. I can’t recommend a particular option but there are a lot of different alternatives if reliable live tv is what you want. It will more than likely not be free though.

1 Like

Hey @MarkMoore As long as your “standalone” app isn’t a player w/iptv service…please let us know what it is so we can try it out. I don’t use Kodi anymore so someone else would have to check out that add-on or build. Do you have or use an iptv player of any kind?

Odds are you won’t have 2 separate apps doing the same thing…but it still needs to be eliminated before you get into service, vpn or hardware possibilities.

1 Like

Hi pangaeatech. Thanks for your response… I have NO IPTV service. The app I’m using is DARK BOX. I’m also using KODI 20 with a Diggz build.
As I previously said, everything else works fine, but when steaming LIVE TV, on any app or KODI the stream freezes after 2 mins. Identical failures at almost exactly the same time. Makes me think it’s a firestick ( either hard or software ) issue. I’ve tried everything I can think of but I’m stuck. Hope you can help

2 Likes

Copy that…if you feel pretty certain they are happening at the same time across 2 totally different apps then we’ll call the apps good.

Next question: are you using a VPN…& is the firestick your only streaming device? Are you plugged into the power adapter it came with & then is it plugged into a wall socket? I will assume you are streaming via wifi…if so, any other devices on that wifi network having any problems? Do you have another HDMI cable you can swap out? How about HDMI short jumper…do you use that & if so, have you tried plugging directly into the tv port…have you tried other HDMI ports? You stated you’ve done a hard reset…I will assume you’ve pulled power & not done a factory reset…may I suggest, so I can eliminate it…you clear all caches on the stick…unplug device power at wall plug…unplug router at wall plug for 10 - 20 seconds so as to let any memory dissipate from each of their memory capacitors. When everything boots up…see if it was just gremlins & maybe now it works :thinking: :eyes: If not…we’ll continue with some other troubleshooting. Let us know…also…I’m assuming you have proper connection speeds for streaming…?

1 Like

Unfortunately free live tv on kodi nobody can help. Make sure internet is good and consider a iptv program.

What about the other app crapping out at the same time…I’m not familiar with that app, but if they’re both going south at the same time, dontcha’ think something else is in play?

Many of those live tv apps use the same sources for their channels. Could be that.

As a matter of fact, some apps are exact copies of another. Just changed the name and icon.

1 Like

Roger all that…good info to have…I’m checking out a Dark Box review & depending on what I see I’ll download it on my BlueStacks & check it out for stability. See…without knowing what you just told me, I was eliminating the first rule of troubleshooting…don’t assume & check out the easy stuff first.

1 Like

We could give him something that we know works, and see if it works for him?

Good point…why don’t you send him something while I check out this Dark Box app…I haven’t looked at apps like these since I discovered iptv, years ago. Kinda curious what they look like now :thinking:

Alright. I think of know of something that’s small in size and should be working. Gonna test it myself first.

1 Like

Okay. I sent him an app to try. If we knew if he had something to use as a player, we could have him test a channel or 2 from the samsung or distro m3u.

Copy that…still on limited info from him…I just watched a channel on the DarkBox app for over 5 min straight with no problems…another one stopped but worked fine after I off/on’d it…so I’m not sure the app/s are his problem…but we’ll see after he tries what you sent him. I’ll PM him the browser addresses for ustvgo & 123tv…as backups.

1 Like

Yes, I have no idea if he’s in the USA or has a player or what. But as of very recently USTVGO and 123tv are no longer working.
Correction, looks like 123tv may be working again. Just tried a channel and it played.

Yep…& one of the other ones works but the other doesn’t. They’re all touch & go these days…but doesn’t hurt to have em bookmarked. Hopefully, your app works for him…depending on the apps being the problem. Still haven’t figured that out yet…who knows, could be just an overheated firestick :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

In general all the publicly used sources for live tv are very fickle. In the morning it could be great, 2 hours later it won’t play at all. There used to be a pretty good Kodi addon that worked most of the time, but I haven’t tested it in many months.

1 Like