KODI - The Big Advantage Why You Use It

1 Like

If you use Real Debrid, the only difference between the better Kodi add-ons and the higher end APKs is the user interface. Everything else that Kodi offers is free and sometimes unreliable, at least from my experience. Kodi is fun to fiddle with. If you can get free stuff to work, or music or whatever more power to you, enjoy it. But if this thread is only about streaming VOD with RD, the difference in opinions about the two is the UI and really nothing else.

2 Likes

Man this really is like the Hatfields and the McCoys. Use what you like and what works for you. What is better? It’s a personal preference. I’ve been using KODI for over 5 years. I tried Streamio and just didn’t like the interface. I’m not saying one is better than the other I just prefer KODI.

7 Likes

Both scrape from the same places so flip a coin

3 Likes

Big Dave you already looks like you’ve already tried Kodi To answer a question about the benefit of Kodi or if there is a benefit of Kodi this is what I realized with my experience using streamio and Kodi. Kodi is like starting my dad’s John Deere you got, set the choke, to open the gas cuz it runs on gasoline so he started on gasoline turn over to kerosene open the petcock and grab flywheel and turn it over by hand and hope it hits the first two or three times then once it starts you shut off the gas after warms up, shut the choke off, and turn over to kerosene and hope it runs without missing. Streamio is like My Altima I just jump in the car push a button I don’t even have to pull the keys out of my pocket put in gear and go that’s the difference. The biggest clue to your inquiry is it has a large learning curve.

3 Likes

@ilpadrino thanx for the mention of Sports Fire. I saw Troy’s article after you alerted me where/what to look for. Google didn’t like it but I got no virus warning from Virus Total after downloading, app looks really nice so far, THANKS

1 Like

I feel the same way about Streamio as you do about KODI. Glad we both get to the same end result with our own choices.

2 Likes

If I was setting up a device to give to a friend or family member who basically wanted to stream newer or classic content, Stremio definitely has a more convenient UI to get to the selections. I believe Stremio is probably a better choice for those who are not sure about what they want to watch and are looking for hints or suggestions.
If someone is dead set against using a debrid service, Stremio is the way to go.
The initial set up for Stremio is more of a PITA…particularly if you don’t ignore setting up as a ‘guest’ and go ahead and establish an account. Installing torrentio was not exactly intuitive either. But after the account is set up, it is a breeze to set up any other device that you acquire.

Now for the downsides we’ve experienced with Stremio and why we use Kodi when we’re viewing a show or movie together.
-The volume control on any of our devices’ remotes often do not work with many of the links we’ve selected except to mute the sound. (Turning up or down has no effect until all the way down.) This doesn’t occur with all the links, but often enough to be annoying. Additionally, the volume is inconsistent among different links & there’s not a way to adjust the gain to correct for this. With Kodi there is, PLUS the remotes’ volume controls always work normally.
-Subtitles. We had many troubles with Stremio where the subs were not synced up, whether they were embedded or downloaded. It happens on occasion with Kodi, but not as often.
-Streams crashing with Stremio, particularly with content that is not as popular or new and as a result, has few or no others participating in the torrenting. If you start a stream with a single digit, there’s a good chance it won’t last until you’ve finished. With the number is “0”, it won’t be available at all. With Kodi, the links are cached (you can set your addon to not directly torrent)…much more reliable with a lot of the stuff we watch.

AFA Kodi addons not being permanent, true. Big hassle to deal with? If you’re giving your Firestick or Tivo to your grandma who’s 150 miles away, true. If you are the first person user, false. All the Kodi user has to do is have 4 or 5 repos already installed & when it’s time to pick a new addon, just select it from the repo that you already have in stock.

So I guess that I could’ve have saved a bunch of typing by this one sentence fragment for why we use Kodi over stremio, most of the time: Sound, Subtitles, Reliablity.

3 Likes

Let’s say you forget to engage your favorite VPN, what’s the least security risk?

With a VPN engaged, is it true that Stremio is less of a threat than a Kodi addon? Why or why not?

2 Likes

Guys we arent comparing apps to kodi, the topic was why use it. Kodi has awesome features it also has its downfalls, the major one is not really firestick friendly.

I use it on my pc with big picture mode and its flawless. I use every apk mentioned too. Honestly, @BigDave use it and try to solve this yourself. See if you like it. If not there is other stuff out there.

2 Likes

e4810f4608f1ce9f95c4eb14054006c1

3 Likes

Been following this thread for a few days and it’s great to see so many different opinions. I think it’s all about the UI and reliability. At first as a beginner I found Kodi quite a learning curve but with being retired I had alot of time. So with the help from many people here and way too much time, I have come to absolutely love Kodi. If you become a fanatic and I have I don’t think Kodi can be beat. As far as UI, once you learn to create your own build the possibilities are endless for personalizing it the exact way you want which leaves all other options lacking big time for someone who is really into customization. Lastly once setup properly the streaming for me is foolproof 100% never an issue and never ever buffer or freeze :grinning:

7 Likes

@elginherd Thanx for your post as it’s the most compelling argument yet for Kodi. My hearing is greatly affected and I’m a disabled vet. There is justification for Kodi based on your observations. Very insightful and succinct.

2 Likes

Big Dave,
Thanks for the compliment…I don’t know if ‘succinct’ is true, though, LOL

3 Likes

Miki,
I don’t worry that much about bricking a $20-$50 device.
I do worry about leaking info while directly torrenting on my ‘seeding’ part of participation, if & when I either forget to engage a VPN or a VPN disengages spontaneously…which I have had happen with IPV. (although never with ProtonVPN)

One thing that I do like about Kodi is that it reliably plays files on local media, regardless of the type of media file.

2 Likes

Stop saying stremio is safer. Stremio with out a vpn is absolutely dangerous. It directly streams torrents, so if you using NON RD links you are in fact at risk for you ISP to nail you. You need a vpn with stremio. RD links are acquired from there encrypted servers which you should still use a vpn. Stremio is however safer from bad repos in kodi however this is why we suggest the best ones we have on the website. Also bad code can effect stremio if a community addon is done with malicious intent, just like any other app or apk around. Stremio is a great app and one of my favs but dont spread misinformation on it. It should be used with caution like everything els.

6 Likes

I came across two cop shows that were on TV in the early 2000s that Kodi with “RD” or stremio couldn’t find any good link! I actually was able to watch both of them on my IPTV paid service.

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying, but its still considered to be not safe and to use with caution. I dont know why you are reacting to my posts like that. Im not agreeing or disagreeing with you. However the information needs to be accurate.

1 Like

Quote: “Stremio with out a vpn is absolutely dangerous.”
Agreed and in the vein of being accurate I never once said NOT to use a VPN especially with apps like these. Not sure where you got that from. I was ONLY talking about the addons being safer. My info was gleened from dozens of experts and the Dev himself. I apologize if my words and intent were misunderstood, but I never intentionally spread misinformation. Kodi and Stremio are top of the heap and a personal choice.

1 Like