itvX program installs but difficult to load and start working

itvX has to be one of the trickiest apps to get working, I installed the app onto my firestick using Downloader then after many tries to get it to load (after many messages telling me I was not authorized to watch this,) I was finally allowed to put in a UK postcode when I actually got it to start working! The next day I went back to it to watch some news and then I get the pop up “App not owned” either select “See details or quit,” you can actually see the program running in the background, sometimes after toggling between Quit and See details it will kick in. Now I cannot get the program to boot up. Does anyone out there have a fix for this? Dino are you able to help on this? Thanks in advance.

Hi - Are you using a VPN pointing at a UK based server? I have found that sometimes I need to switch servers to get the app to work (and with BBC iPlayer too). It seems these apps are quite good at sussing out if you are using a VPN and assume you are not UK based and therefore ineligible to receive the service

I gave up with finicky app and uninstalled. It’s just not worth the hassle for a hit-and-miss. Unless you are really into some UK programming the app just ain’t worth the effort. jus my 2¢

Use Amazon app store for free download of UK TV apps for your firestick
Log in to your Amazon account and search for the app you want, they deliver it to your firestick - I set it up for a friend

Hi, yes I am just about at that stage, I tried a few months back and thought I would give it another try. I was hoping someone had had some success with it, but it doesn’t look like it. It’s great when it’s working, I had the old app for years just plain old ITV which never missed a beat. This new one sucks.

These are only in the U.K. Amazon App Library. If outside the U.K. you need to switch countries, download them and switch back again. They will work but you can’t update them. So at some point when an app is upgraded it might stop working and then you need to go through the change country routine again. A bit of a pain but as a Brit who emigrated to the US earlier this year I find these apps invaluable as I watch almost everything on catch up because of the time difference.

1 Like

The servers I use will allow UK channels to load up no problem on my TV using my firestick. By changing my country using my PC on Amazon these apps will only work on my PC, right? I am trying to get a working app on my tv. Only ITVX gives me problems, I have several UK apps that work fine with my set up. Did you change your country setting on your firestick? I know if I want to purchase or send something to the UK I can log into Amazon UK on my PC and it is no problem. Not sure how this would help me getting the app to work on my TV.

Can you give more detail about the problems you get with ITVX. What happens when you try to load it? Or if it loads can you register it with username, password, U.K. postcode? It is a while since I have done it but if I remember correctly you have to log in on a different device which sends a code which you then have to put into the Firestick app.

Ok, I downloaded the app no problem, then it took me a while because it wants to keep telling you you do not own this app, then wants to close on you. I persisted then it took me finally to another page to log in with username and postal code (I have a UK address I can still use) and then it opened with two options “See details or Quit,” I hit Quit and then it opened up and the program started working, I did have to enter a code which into my computer which I got from the app on TV. I watched it last night but when I went back to it today it would not load just giving me the same messages again.

Didn’t know you are not based in the UK - shared what I did in helping a friend setup their Fire tv.

This is the best website I have found for getting apk for firestick other than Amazon including sideloading via downloader code 28907

Youtube channel

Hi Mike, I am familiar with Tanya and did visit her site but even after following her instructions it will not load up without getting those messages (Content Not Owned). I have sent an email to my proxy servers to see what they can do, as I have other UK apps that work fine. Thanks for help.

Posted above as it shows the steps needed to fix issue - basically same advice is given by Amazon support, uninstalling the app completely then re install

I do not have any PBS apps installed. This is a UK app for ITVX. Thanks anyway.

It was how to deal with “Content not owned” issue :innocent:
in your case ITVX app replaces PBS app in the above guide

Hi Mike, I did pull up my list of apps from my Amazon account which does not show any connected app with PBS, I posted for you to look at.

Apologies for joining this conversation but in your Amazon account you need to press the button marked ‘Manage Your Device Content and Account’ and then select the ‘Apps’ tab. This will show the apps that you have downloaded from the App Store to your Firestick and any other devices.
Mike’s advice was not about PBS in particular - that was just an example. In the list of apps the advice is to delete all ITVX apps and then go to your Firestick and do the same. This will ensure you have no disparity between what Amazon thinks you have and what you actually have on your Firestick.
The article suggests that if you do this the problem you are reporting way we’ll go away.
Hope this helps.

Well I went through this again and saw all of my apps listed through Amazon but not ITVX, then I realised that some of my apps including ITVX are side loaded onto a USB which Amazon doesn’t show or know. I have removed ITVX so many time and re-installed but nothing changes.

Sadly as we can’t create your issue, we can only try to help find a solution.

Have come across this article which will try to fix Content not owned issue with side loaded apps - last updated 17 August 2023

Hi Mike, just read through your attachment and did as it said making sure I didn’t forget anything. I took a video which I will try to forward so you can see what is happening. Not able to send with this app, I think the video file is too big…I still could not get it to open, I definetly do not want to de-register, I have to find another way. Thanks again for your support. Ernest.

yes delete that app and than go on a computer to amazon.com and than go to content and devices than prefernces than country settings and make up an uk address and set that as your location . after that search on your amazon.com for itvx and have it downloaded to your firestick and it will be owned and working along with any other app that you own on your device . also you might want to add bbc iplayer and channel 5 since your location is the uk . i think on your computer you might have to set the vpn to london i think before you search for those uk apps to send to your firestick thou