IPVanish and Fire TV dropping network to Amazon when connected to VPN

I have been fighting with IPVansih for over two weeks. Every time I connect to IPVanish after about an hour I loose my network connection. It started on my Fire TV Cube 2nd gen and has now moved to my two Fire TV Stick 4K MAX device. We have tried everything (Split Tunning, reset device to factory default, etc.) I have uninstalled and have tried 2 different versions of their version 3 and 3 different version of version 4. Still now luck. I just renewed my subscription in September for a year. I have tried all the network fixes including hard wiring with no success. Now they want me to split tunnel all the system application, basically disabling the VPN. I have tried this and it does work. I have asked for a developer to look at it, but they move so slow to get anything beside the standard fixing for network issues. I have uninstalled IPVanish and I signed up for the special 26 month deal with Surfshark for about half of what IPVanish charged me for their1 year renewal. I still have two weeks to cancel my Surfshark, if they can fix my IPVanish, I also use ADBlink to adjust the sleep timer and screensaver setting on their request. Not hold much hope after two weeks and many many hours trying their not working workarounds/fixes. I cannot be the only one having these, hopefully some on Troypoint has a fix.

3 Likes

Amazon needs to be 100% bypassed with your vpn. This has been said. All paid apps and amazon system apps need to be bypassed. It seems most vpns on amazon devices need to have this done. There was an update addressing this but it still seems to be a issue. You only need a vpn if you using unverified apps and programs.

1 Like

Why shouldn’t IPVanish know this after two + weeks of chats, emails and phone calls and just today ask me to bypass all system apps? Will Bypassing the system apps disable the VPN?

Because its not ipvanish… it amazon. Technically their app works. What amazon does behind closed doors is not ipvanish issue. Also this is a fairly new problem not something that has been going on sense day one. And its not happening with every single user ether its just a select group it seems so its not a known issue. Its also amazon not ipvanish. Check for updates on your device.

No problems with my ProtonVPN and 4k Max fully updated. So far only heard of issues using IPVanish. I tested Express, Nord, and SS. None caused issues like they describe. Although tbh my tests were only for a couple of hours using each VPN. This is an odd one. I certainly would never connect to the net without everything going through the VPN. Research time.

1 Like

Its been happening on and off with amazon devices even without vpn… it happened to me on my stick without a vpn… i cant explain why i think its just code that needs updating or there server related issues.

I get your understanding of why you want a vpn but its completely unnecessary on paid apps. But this bug is strange… its been happening randonly. I have seen people have this issue with ipvanish and other vpns but its random. Its happened even without on. My stick locked up so bad that it only shows half the home page then everything would be black juat a box… thats after several internet tests. Has anyone contacted amazon on this? I heard an update they pushed fixed it but i havent done more research on it as i dont use my stick anymore.

1 Like

It isn’t at all about the apps Dracoo. I never leave an open connection due to identity theft and trolls. I’ve been looking to see if anyone else has had this issue. Nobody that I’ve programmed the Max for has had issues, or they’ve just not contacted me. Odd one indeed. I can say that I had a unique event with my personal max. Took it to a condo to show someone and right in the middle of this demo it rebooted, then showed about 6 blank app icons of stuff I never had installed and don’t use, like an ad blocker. Rebooted the stick and they were gone. So I think you may be on the right track with some bad code. Usually though someone gives a sensible explanation, but as of now Nada.

2 Likes

Because it’s so random and its not happening to everyone its really hard to pinpoint. My working theory is a bad ping or connection between the stick and the servers. I’d assume it would happen to all but it doesn’t seem to be and amazon is very silent on this. I haven’t replaced my remote to test my stick. But things like you mentioned are connected.

1 Like

Well the A team is on it. Now for a fix. Random is so hard to pinpoint.

1 Like

Most of the issue seem to revolve around Fire TV update to 7.6.1.4 (PS7614/3227)

1 Like

IPVanish said to split tunnel all the system apps. I worry that if I do that I open up the VPN tunnel to much. Any thoguhts

1 Like

No, you are opening up the vpn to amazon and thr paid apps… the only thing you need to worry about is unverified apps that have questionable ways of getting content. Thats what you need a vpn for. Amazon os is all about legal paid apps. So split tunnel all that as mentioned above and hopefully that fixes the issue.

want to hear something strange. I always have watched prime on my roku which has no vpn running…well as of a few days ago I cant connect to prime on roku…I just get a page with lots of chineese writing…so for kicks I tried prime on my shield which is on a vpn thru my router and now it works? go figure, but strange thangs goin down over at amazon.

All the more reason to stay with SurfShark. I changed from IPVanish and never looked back. The best feature with SurfShark is it’s ability to choose which apps to run through the VPN, rather than making you choose which NOT to run through, as IPV does. I myself only run my sideload apks thru SS.
But as others have stated, all Amazon system apps must be split-tunneled in IPV, along with the usual streaming apps that are location sensative, or do not permit VPN routing.

1 Like

You can run VPN on prime. This was a Amazon update issue. Seems it is effecting Cube I have 2. Fixed by changing protocol and server. My server was Chicago after protocol change and server I haven’t had yellow strobe in week. Ipvanish a great VPN they are aware and fixing on their end. Ipvanish doesn’t keep logs, that’s why I have stay most VPN keep logs so what’s point of VPN if they log activity. Anyway that info I gave above is a fixed worked on both my cubes.

Hey @Tax112768, what protocol change did you do? I have two Cubes on IPVanish that turn on the scrolling yellow light about 2 hours after I put it to sleep. Tried changing server from Chicago to one closer to actual location but it did not help. Must need to change protocol too. I’m on WireGuard and do not do split tunneling. Suggestions?

I went with OpenVPN and Ashburn. You don’t use split tunnelling so you have everything running through VPN?? This fix worked on both my cubes gen 2. I emailed support to ipvanish they are aware of problem. It seems to be effecting fire cube. I sent logs to Ipvanish support,and made the tech aware of what I did and it was working.

1 Like

@Tax112768 when using OpenVPN which sub-Protocol (OpenVPN (TCP) or OpenVPN(UDP) did you use? And I have nothing split tunneling. Never have. Thanks for the assist.

I Have Been Experiencing This Problem For 2 Weeks Now…. I Have Also Tried Many Different Options And Have Not Been Able To Resolve This Problem…. Any Help Would Be Appreciated !!! Desperate!!!

1 Like

Guys… bypass all amazon apps and system apps thru the vpn.

1 Like