Inexpensive ONN Android Boxes (Yeas vs Nays)

My sister lives there about 6 months a year :+1:

Ooooh. Come on down and lets have a couple or three cervezas

1 Like
1 Like

Shes a little older :rofl:

Get a little cooling fan and usb on/off switch. Mount it with two sided adhesive tape on the bottom of any box with a too small heat sink. That should solve the overheating problem. It your box has no air vents, consider (carefully) drilling several holes in the bottom of your box first. I have an otherwise very good device that was running too hot and this cooled it down to under 45 degrees Celsius. Without this, the box would have been cooked by now.

Copy all that…good tips…my mecool sheds heat very well. Drilled holes in my firestick the day it arrived. I keep a 9" fan running constantly for white noise & as it makes that noise it’s also circulating around my electronics…so it’s a 2-fer. I mentioned earlier my modem tends to run a little hot but as long as I keep the air moving, it sheds its heat very well. Saw Miki’s fan & yours sounds about the same…will probably McGyver one on something soon enough…as it’s a clever fix. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind trying out the 4k version of the ONN, especially after watching that youtube review, however; back in July of 2021, Tom’s hardware did a review and my concerns are the same for the following:

• Language resetting bug
  • Remote unpairs itself
  • No Dolby video standards (No Atmos)
1 Like

Hey @MarkxG I like many others are looking for a good replacement for fire devices. I was wondering before I push “add to cart” if you could help me with a few questions on that t95z plus. Is the wifi any good on it, can you side load following apps downloader, troypoint rapid app installer, kodi, or unlinked. This sounds like a pretty safe choice but I always come across those few reviews that give me doubt so I was hoping I could hear from an actual streamer. Thanks would be appreciated on any advice about this box. Have a great day!

Sure. I have 2 T95Z Plus Android Boxes and run everything you mention above. I have Troy’s RAI with all his apps and several other Apps from the Google Play Store. I have multiple KODI Builds along with Tivimate/Tivimate Premium. Express VPN installed as well. The wifi will be dependent upon your connection of course and these boxes also have Ethernet for a wired connection. Just check the spec’s to see if the Ethernet is 10/100 or 10/1000 as if you are using higher speed internet you will want the 1000 if you plan on being hardwired. I’ve had one of these boxes since 2018 and the other since 2020 and have had zero problems. You will also have USB ports if you want to attach storage device or use a bluetooth keyboard. IMO these are solid boxes

1 Like

Thank you so much @MarkxG for that super informative reply. Even the one question I forgot to ask was did tivimate work on it and you answered that question for me. That is why I love Troypoint Insider and all the great people here, this info is priceless. So thanks again, and I’m off to "add to cart.":blush:

2 Likes

Show us what you finally decided to buy @PapaS :cowboy_hat_face:

Honest review from last summer of the then $30 ONN android box…now costing $20 @ WallyWorld.

Good review. They are really good at just streaming and although he seemed to love the remote …it is just a generic remote like the amazon remote actually identical…I believe theres a factory somewhere that makes 99% of the remotes :joy:…and I do agree with the air mouse/remote, once you get one them you will wonder what took you so long :upside_down_face:. Personally I like the onn box better than the firestick(no hate mail please). For me its my “back up”

Roger all that…& yeah, he made a good review…went thru a lot more than others. All I’m looking for is a backup…it’s got the exact same homescreen as my box…so absolutely no learning curve for moi’. I just got an $11 mini-keyboard that seems to work very well…so far. With 4 of these gizmos…sounds like you have a lot of tvs/boxes to back up :thinking:

2 Likes

For the adventurous techie types that just got the gut punch from amazon & want to take control on an android. Follow the links for directions on how to do a little upgrading…with root access too.

2 Likes

and I will do just that if android kills my wolf on onn boxes. On my ugoos its wide open to do whatever. I actually dropped root access after I tweaked it to my taste.I have been reading up on lineage and others. :+1:

Doesn’t seem too hard if one is used to playing around with all these adb commands…

Went through that review quickly. For a box the RAM and Storage is not ideal but the price point is I guess. 5GB Storage is same as Firestick right? But as you said a cheap backup if Amazon mucks everything up.

I imagine like all these Generic Boxes this one’s from China as well and with sooo many different manufacturers essentially cloning the same generic Android boxes kudos to these guys for getting distribution in Walmart!

All I put on the cheap boxes is tivimate. Makes for a good back up if one of my other boxes has issues I can swap it quick and it gives me time to fix it up right rather than in a hurry,

1 Like

The onn is on best buy for 56.99. -_-