Inexpensive ONN Android Boxes (Yeas vs Nays)

@Wizzard @Miki et al from the (Firesticks keep filling up thread…) Saw this from @TXRon from back in December…so I would put this in the “nay” column with a temporary skosh of “yea”. Let’s see if we can get a few more “reviews” before we make a monster $20 plunge into the deep end. :eyes:

TXRonPatron

Dec '21

I have 2 onn sticks and 2 onn boxes. I just use them as needed when something else acts up. kinda of an emergency back up. They are cheap in cost and made :grimacing:… Makes great for a day or two till I get the main box back up. I find they tend to overheat alot. The sticks are worse but the box will also. I have seen mostly sound go out with overheating. Un-plug for an hour an sound comes back… okay nuff rant. Your issue sounds like a wire or connection as already stated. I wouldnt make this your goto box…jus’ sayin,

I’m in Mexico and our Wallyworlds don’t have them anyway. Forget delivery. Still waiting for a package mailed to us last Nov. So maybe a good thing I can’t get them.

1 Like

Funny you bring this up. I just took a mecool box out of a room because it was never turned off and was always eating bandwidth… now going to put in a onn box with very limited channels so it wont be used very often… yes im dealing with an in-house abuser :rofl:

1 Like

Sounds like the heatsink in those boxes is pretty much non-existent…ever taken one apart?

I have had a $20 ONN box/hockey puck for about 6 weeks now and it is like having a firestick without the Amazon adds and other crap. I have three firesticks. Pretty much the same storage and remote as the stick. Yea for a $20 investment

1 Like

Thnx @Measureguy Ever have any heating/shut down problems with it, with normal use?

Not yet, mine hangs in the air behind my tv and I have never touched it honestly. Good ventilation comes Into play probably. It is usually on about 14-15 hours a day

1 Like

I would say overall I have had less problems with this than my firesticks. But, I have had it only 6 weeks. So far it is working great.

I have a total of 4 onn devices. 2 sticks and 2 boxes. I got them mostly tp play with :rofl:…ok…that doesnt sound too right :face_with_monocle:… I have had several over heat but that was in a room where its always hot and they kept it on top of tv where its already hot. When ive tested them at my desk ive never had any issues, Fun toy :sunglasses:

Copy all that…appreciate the input. First thing I did when I got a firestick several years ago, was to drill holes in the case & make sure it had some ventilation…so if your box plays for that long with good ventilation, that’s for sure a “yea”… :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

And they are Android TV ?

Also good to know…my Arris SB6183 has a history of running hot so I’ve always had a small fan circulating air around it…the way I’m set up, the same fan can help out my streaming devices too.

YxBjg0ql
qQx3K1sl

3 Likes

Yeah…I’ve seen your McGyver-esk set up…pretty sweet & good to know about if I ever need one. :+1:

1 Like

That’s only for extreme cases. Rarely gets below 55F here and in the summer can be 104.

Yes, Android TV and 4k.

2 Likes

yep, no frills android, chromecast installed

1 Like

Copy that…very seldom gets 104* where iyam in Luzyana…but that’s generally our dang humidity :hot_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: What area of Mexico are you in anyway?

Android 10.0

1 Like

I’ve had 2 of the T95Z Plus Android boxes (purchased on Amazon) for about 4-5 years now and have had zero issues with the boxes. They are packed with RAM, Storage and have inputs for USB, Ethernet, etc… Cost more than the firestick 4K’s but way less than Shield, UGOOS, etc…They are simple knockoff Boxes and there are about half a dozen different manufacturers but essentially the boxes are the same with varying specs. Just be sure to read the reviews. I’ve been very happy with these boxes.

2 Likes

Puerto Vallarta is where I call home these days.

2 Likes