I stream and now Nielsen wants me to sign up

I have streamed using a VPN for years. I enjoy it, but now I have been approached by Nielsen to allow them to monitor my viewing and radio listening for their “Nielsen Ratings”. Is it safe? Will they discover and report me for streaming? Has anyone heard of a streamer getting trouble after signing up with Nielsen?

sounds very phishy to me. Change servers. Basically someone is asking you to get undressed for inspection.

3 Likes

I sure wouldn’t. I didn’t realize they were still a thing

The invitation arrived in the US mail and appears legitimately from the Nielsen Corp. in Chicago. They also have followed up with phone calls from the corporate headquarters phone number, so it appears to really be the real company offering a few bucks a month to wear a wrist monitor that listens for a signal a few times an hour that is transmitted through the audio of both TV and radio. I just wanted to know if anyone has been reported or run into any problems as a IPTV streamer, after signing on with the Nielsen operation.

Is Nielson going to compensate you in some way? If not, tell them to go pound sand.

Show me the money!

Yes, every letter has had cash in the envelope. Granted it is small potatoes. Five dollars in the first letter containing a small 10-15 question survey about general viewing/listening habits and promising ten more dollars cash if I return the survey postage paid. They sent me $10 bill. After a few months I get another letter with a letter, brochure and another $10 bill asking me if I was interested in signing up to receive the fit bit looking wrist band that will arrive with $10 and the promise of up to $15 every month, depending on how much I wear it, and the entry into weekly and monthly cash drawings of much larger amounts. Again, my only concern is would Nielsen be interested in reporting a IPTV streamer?

Do it on your neighbor’s device and split the cash. lol

Or do it on a tv you don’t use for streaming illegal content. You can probably pick up a used one for free or very cheap.

Unless you are desperate for the money, I’d pass!

3 Likes

Get ready for the virus weenie!!

Geez more Paranoid people here. Surely you have heard of the Nielson ratings right? They have been around for several decades and measure what shows are being watched on what day. This is a huge company not some scam, or virus. And I can assure they could give 2 $hits about how you are streaming. They care about WHAT you are streaming and that is why they want to compensate you.

1 Like

Use a different VPN or change locations regularly on it, also I wouldn’t even reply or do any correspondence with Nielsen ratings.

Nielsen Ratings is just a form of marketing research, surveys, etc. Nothing more nothing less. Studios pay them very big dollars to perform their “research”. They are also known as “pursuasive surveys”, they also monitor what you watch/stream and now collect data on your ISP and IP address. They also sell your information and data they collect to other “research” and marketing companies. Just because something has been around for several decades, doesn’t mean their vision and focus haven’t changed. I know I value my privacy very much, not being paranoid as some people think on here, but it’s nothing glorified. Things are tracked and traced easily anymore, and the info and data is quickly passed onto other “firms”.

1 Like

Trust

Did you even read the OP’s original Post? I was referring to the Paranoia about Nielson reporting him for streaming. I never said anything about them selling your data.

My Post had more to do with the OP’ being Paranoid that Nielson would somehow report them for streaming which is totally ridiculous. I know what Nielson does and never said anything about them tracking or selling your data.

They are interested but I don’t know what they would do with such information. I’m sure Disney wants to know if I’m watching the Mandolorian with Kodi,FEN, and Realdebrid instead of paying for Disney+.

1 Like

Yep. I read everything but I don’t feel the need to piss and moan about everything. Maybe you misunderstood, I was referring to the legal disclosures within Nielsen, the actuality of what and who they are. Sorry if you get so butt hurt, but you don’t need to reply to every single topic with your opinion, only to counteract to others ppls opinions and facts. Have a great day, brutha :v:

Chill ut gif

2 Likes

:man_facepalming:
Gotta have 20 characters

1 Like

lioncubfam-group-hug