How to fix 2 new USB DRIVES

Oh… Hopefully the process is still the same lol. I’ll Google first.

Yes it is the same and I have even tried diskmgmt.msc with no luck

I downloaded EaseUS Partition master and it could see the other partition. I formatted it to FAT32. So now I have still have two partitions but can actually use both so I am happy now. I will do this to my other USB. Thanks for your suggestions. By the way have you ever tried to make external storage using troypoints video. Reason I did it is to keep the firestick clean and it may help with buffering etc if apps were saved externally. Thanks again

Brand new Sandisk 3.0 128GB USB not recognized in My Fire TV (Firestick 4K). It does not show up in “My Fire TV” (Storage: External Space: No USB Storage Detected). I have formatted (using Rufus) 3 times. Xplore display does not match the Troypoint video display… Help?! Suggestions?

I made a whole new post about it today covering the different options for formatting USB for firesticks. For removable storage all you have to do is format the whole thing to FAT32 and you should be good to go. When you format it for internal storage is when things get tricky.

What you need to do with yours is actually “clean” the whole disk using command prompt. Forget the part about different volumes.

Here’s that post from earlier.

This article explains it perfectly and the steps are still the same. You want to clean the disk using diskpart.

I have done nothing with partitioning or different volumes. I simply want to be able to record to the USB for occasional TV sports and/or other movies and programs. I simply can’t get the Firestick to recognize the USB (using the Amazon-provided OTG cable).

1 Like

Idk what Amazon provided OTG that would be. But if you follow the article I posted above to clean the disk using diskpart in command prompt and then format the whole drive to FAT32 you should be fine. On the firestick 4K it may not show in the settings but it should show up in Xplore or ES File Explorer.

@westy686 let me know if that worked for you.

1 Like

Troypoint has a new video tutorial for the firestick 4K max to increase its storage. How to Expand Internal Storage on Firestick & Fire TV Cube
Follow the instructions carefully to make sure you do not miss anything.

Hi Boomerian, cont’d from my last message. Your message is confusing. The firestick does not come with an OTG cable you have to order that separately. And, it is quite a process to follow the tutorial and set it up. If you plan on saving a lot of stuff as in sports, movies etc you probably should have bought an android TV box that has lots of storage. Not sure why you would want to download movies as most are available onlint to stream.

1 Like

Hi Jayhawks659, I feel so stupid. I was not running the command prompt as administrator. All is good and I have two 32GB USB drives now woo hoo. Thankyou.

1 Like

I want to have additional storage for apps, since it seems everyone agrees that 5GB is too little. Also I would like to record (primarily sporting events) to watch at my leisure. I know (since I had to buy 2) that the OTG does not come with the Firestick 4K. I have watched several videos, and followed the Troypoint instructions several times, and (although the power obviously flows through both OTG cables, it is not recognized either in the “My Fire TV”/About/Storage (which reads, under External Space: “No USB Storage Detected”)
I have tried ADB Shell, entered the IP address of the Firestick, then “5555” (per instructions) and the cursor then appears “sheldonp:/$” after which I enter (per instructions “sm list-disks” click run and “sheldonp:/$” reappears.
Clearly the Firestick does not recognize the USB stick (I’ve tried two, both Sandisks, 32GB 2,0 and 128GB 3.0 Ultra)
Having tried both flash drives in both cables, I can’t think it’s either the drives or the cables. When on the home screen, I plug either flash drive in and neither results in the translucent indication on the screen, as describe in the instructional videos.
All versions up-to-date, cache cleared, Firestick restarted multiple times…
Can anyone suggest something other than what I’ve already done? Thks

Could this be because I am using a Firestick (3rd Gen)? Xplore does not display a “root” folder. OS is 7.2.4.2. Absolutely formatted (FAT32, EXFAT) Sandisk 128GB Ultra USB, that is still not recognized…? Is there someone who can tell me what’s wrong here?

Not ignoring you. Just haven’t had sufficient time to write a thorough response yet.

I would try erasing one of the drives using command prompt as administrator on a PC. Use the diskpart command to clean it. You can find instructions by googling it. Then format it to FAT32 again. Plug it into the firestick when it’s already on and you should see a notification pop up that the device was detected. If you don’t get a notification don’t worry about it. And you may not even be able to see the device in the firestick settings. I tried this on a firestick 4K and never saw the USB device in the settings menu. But when you open X-plore you should be able to see it as external usb storage. It has nothing to do with the root folder. Once you know that the device is detected then you can follow the steps to format it for internal storage.

I also made another post on here about formatting options. If you’re formatting a single USB drive for mixed use (internal and external) it doesn’t always have to be 50/50. When you enter the command to format it change the “50” to whatever percentage you want. I think the percentage you set is for the internal storage part, but I could be wrong. If it’s backward then repeat the process again using the other number.

Have done all that you suggested - still no luck. X-plore does not display external usb storage, and when I drop down to the storage folder under Root, two more subfolders, labeled “emulated” and “self,” both display “Access denied.”
I don’t think the formatting is the problem. The OS does not seem to recognized the USB. At all. Thanks for your attempts to help.

1 Like

I don’t know why you are looking in the root folder. Perhaps I missed that in whatever video you’ve watched. If the drive is properly formatted and your OTG setup works the way that it should then you should see it separately. I’m running an Nvidia Shield, but the file system looks about the same in X-plore. Are you sure your OTG cable is working?

What are the OTG cables that you have? Have you ever been able to verify that they work? Have you used either of them on a different device with success?