So, with the advent of Google no longer allowing POP3 as of January, I find myself in a pickle.
I have been actively using both my Gmail and a private domain email for 20 years. I’d think about StartMail, but the fact that they don’t have an app is a non-starter for me. I primarily use my email on my phone and only open my computer every so often, but I do still access my email from my computer when I’m on it. I contemplated using Samsung’s email, but then I don’t believe I can access it from my computer.
Is there an app that can be easily accessed from my phone, my computer and my Galaxy watch?
@sherbear97124 , I have the startmail site saved as a favorite in brave browser on my android phone, works fine…not sure if itz still going on, but there was a half off deal here from Troy…
@sherbear97124 , if that iz possible, i don’t know, but i don’t think so as itz not an app on the phone, but like i daid you can just visit the website and check your account to see if any new mail has arrived, or maybe don’t sign out once logged in and then itz there in the browser for you to check…Maybe Troy or one of the other gurus can correctly answer that.
Proton mail has a free tier and is end to end encrypted. Paid version is around $5.50/mth. I have had the free version for years and then for a couple of years the full version with one of their suites.
You might look at Fastmail, I started using an email alias from a company in 1995 and have kept it so it’s kind of a permanent email address, if my actual backend mailer changes it’s just a matter of changing the forward address.
The company I signed up with was bought by Fastmail, it’s not free but might be worth checking out, I do not use their mail service, just continue the domain alias from before. They do support IMAP/SMTP.
They encrypt mail transport (as it travels) and stored but they hold the keys. So, unlike Proton they don’t do end to end encryption but if you lose your password somehow for Proton unless you opt for their recovery options, you are out of luck, there is no recovery, not saying that’s likely and some will be paranoid about this, I would not be. I have a background in security. But I’m not you.
So take a look or don’t just giving you an optional solution.
From my experience that simply isn’t true. Proton does have account recovery methods for forgotten passwords, they just use secure methods to get it done.
I would love to do StartMail, but with no mobile app, it won’t work for me. I need something that will give me notifications. I’ll probably look into Proton.
I’ve been using StartMail for about 6 months now and I really like it, plus they have a neat migration feature from your current email servers that works pretty well. However, I was also disappointed that they didn’t have their own app because I could either use Microsoft Outlook linked to their servers (so that I could access all the keyboard shortcuts and other formatting features that I’m used to), but I wasn’t able to access their email alias feature which is one of the main reasons I subscribed to StartMail, or I could use the StartMail web app, which I didn’t really want to do because I don’t want to keep my browser open all the time just to access my emails. So I emailed their customer support and asked if they were developing their own app (rather than browser access) and hey presto - they wrote back and invited be to Beta test the first version of a new app they were developing! After eagerly downloading their Beta version, I was disappointed to find that it has really been optimized for use on a cell phone, and I’m the opposite of you because I mostly manage my email on my Apple Mac, so it sounds perfect for you but not for me, and I’d therefore encourage you to subscribe and then ask if you can join their Beta test program! Hope that helps! !
Unsure what you are referring to. I have been using startmail on my iPhone seamlessly for a year. It links perfectly to the mail app on the iPhone. I had a prior mail client bluetie that transferred perfectly to startmail. I also use startmail perfectly on the Safari browser for either iOS or macOS.
Same here. They have a Proton Pass that let’s you create email aliases. They have their own calendar, drive & VPN (don’t use the vpn). They do have their own app. I’m very happy with this email application.
I use Proton Mail (paid version), Proton VPN (free with paid mail), and Proton Pass (also free with paid mail). Everything works great. One note: DO NOT LOSE your recovery key!! to reset password if you forget or lose it.