Getting throttled? Now what?

Have you tried changing your protocol settings within Surfshark?

2 Likes
1 Like

How do you like that popcorn popper? Does it make better than microwave popcorn?

I saw that too. Made me think about the aroma of popcorn in the living room while watching a movie.

One thing to consider when comparing VPN vs No VPN speeds is how powerful the device being tested is. When a VPN is used, the transmitted information is encrypted before being sent out, and decrypted after receiving it. If you have a powerful device with a fast, multi-core CPU and sufficient memory, the encryption/decryption would have a negligible effect. However, most streaming devices don’t have super fast CPU’s and lots of memory.

The fact that you saw similar results with different VPNs indicates (to me) that the VPN itself isn’t the speed limiter, it’s the hardware that it’s running on.

2 Likes

I appreciate everyone’s replies and opinions but let me say this…

I’ve been dealing with IPTV, VPN’s, FIRESTICKS, KODI and a bunch of other streaming related things for many years.

This situation I’m dealing with is not my norm…

My average Mbps speed is around 350 on all my devices throughout my home w/o VPN, and around 80 while using VPN. Been that way for past 3 years or so.
This drop from 350 to 33 is outside my norm.
Don’t think it’s my streaming hardware because it’s the same hardware I’ve been using to get the numbers I’ve described.
All my devices are now showing these numbers I’ve reported.
This drop in speed is WAYYYYYY off my norm.
Going to swap out my Xfinity router/modem
over the weekend to see if that will return things to my normal.

Powerfader…

Went through hell & high water to get that thing
(wife had to have it…) and has never used it!!!
NOT ONCE !!!

I’ve been struggling for 2 weeks with a similar issue and no answers. My speeds were a consistent 145-160 and suddenly they dropped to half that about 2 weeks ago. I contacted my VPN supplier and they just blew me off. I’m back up a bit but still a significant drop. Plenty enough to stream with but I hate questions without answers.

1 Like

Miki…

We’re you getting those numbers WITH VPN ON?

Yes. Those numbers are with a VPN on. Without a VPN my speeds only vary with time of day, and then only slightly.

That is outstanding!!!

Is this the VPN you just gave me information on?

Try Singapore and Hong Kong servers.

1 Like

It’s ProtonVPN. But on Streaming devices very few configuration options are available.

I’m getting the same terrible dropoff when using Surfshark. 360 down to 35. Surfshard seems to have done something to cripple their service. Probably time to ditch them for another.

I don’t have that issue. Using the Buffalo server, I get around 200Mbps. Try changing some settings, or try different servers. When you find good locations, make note of them

I’m also using the Buffalo server and don’t live far from it. The protocol is Wireguard. Other protocols give me even worse speeds.

I get better speeds from Buffalo compared to Ashton, VA and I’m right in between both.

I wouldn’t doubt if the Internet companies have caught on to the VPN usage and will slow down the speeds if the VPN is detected. I use to be a government employee and you can’t imagine all the secret tricks they have to keep control of the population.

2 Likes

I recently experienced an unexplained drop in VPN speeds too. I believe it was the result of a recent install of a casting app. After deleting the app my speeds were back at normal. it was an easy fix but a very hard diagnosis. Good luck.

1 Like

How interesting (the 35 Mbps speed). I ditched IPVanish because they throttled me at that exact speed. With the old IPVanish you had a running graph of speed, and it was clear/obvious there was throttling (though customer support denied they throttle). So of course IPVanish did away with the graph. Now with ExpressVPN, whereas initially I got 2x the speed, I’m now also seeing 20 to 30Mbps.Getting conspiracy minded here …

2 Likes