Getting throttled? Now what?

This all started yesterday…

For some reason I could not get speeds better than
35 Mbps with SS on when I have been averaging around 80 Mbps???
No matter what US server I chose, could not improve above 35 Mbps !!! WT_ ???
So I tried other countries & servers… same thing.
I disowned SS, installed Proton & Express and guess what happened??? SAME THING!!! 37 Mbps was the max speed reached regardless of which VPN in use!!!
With out VPN, speed average is 350 - 370 !!!
I’m in Atlanta … ISP is Xfinity

Your comments please…

Are you using atlanta based vpn? Reason I ask is for some reason Atlanta servers always are the worst in the whole country. I get better connections with Hong Kong servers than I do Atlanta

1 Like

Don’t think so ???

Surfshark, Proton and Express Atlanta based ???

I think he meant an Atlanta based Server not the VPN company base. Proton has 36 servers in the Atlanta server farm for example.

Try rebooting your modem/router

3 Likes

I know Atlanta has horrible servers…

They were the worst with IP Vanish, and Surfshark.

I have learned my lesson, so I never choose them anymore regardless of the VPN I’m using.

1 Like

out of curiosity have you tested your internet speed to ensure it’s not an issue with your router?

1 Like

Speeds w/o VPN are 350 - 370 Mbps…

If your internet speed was getting throttled by the ISP, you would notice it on the non-VPN speed test. Since your standard internet is still currently 350-370, something else is obviously causing this. Weird that it just started yesterday, and didn’t fix itself with different VPNs. What device are you using? Have you tried as @skook1448 suggested and restart/reset modem, device,router, etc?

I have no problem until I use VPN…

Bye the way, I have reset my modem but it made no difference with VPN performance.

1 Like

What device are you using?

4K , 4K Max FS & New Walmart 4K streaming device.

1 Like

Thanks AMD237 for your comment on ISP throttling…

I was praying that was not the problem.

Now, to figure out what IS the problem :confused:

I hope you know and understand that you will not get the same speed as without the VPN on. There is always a drop and most times what you are showing is typical.

1 Like

I lose speeds with VPN, but not enough to have issues. Try doing all maintenance within the apps themselves, force stop, clear cache, reboot device your using. I use Buffalo SS location, but sometimes for big events, I found Luxembourg works well for me. I use Shield and Onn boxes.
Also, force stop and clear cache on Surfshark itself.

2 Likes

Thanks skook1448…

All maintenance has been done several times.

Unfortunately I got the same results.

I will give Buffalo & Luxembourg a try.

1 Like

Have you tried changing your protocol settings within Surfshark?

2 Likes
1 Like

How do you like that popcorn popper? Does it make better than microwave popcorn?