Fixing Buffering!

Thanks, I will plug it in now. !

3 Likes

Ethernet cable is a direct connection and there is no signal loss, unlike wi-fi, so it will always provide the strongest connection and speed. That said, as long as you can get a strong signal while using 5G Wi-Fi on your device, there won’t too big a drop off in internet speed. As long as you can get 50 plus mbs download and 15 plus mbs upload speeds while using your vpn, you shouldn’t have any buffering problems while streaming in high definition.

I also plugged the ethernet to my computer back in, and the ethernet line I have running to my Km2. Hopefully I will get better data reports. I used the wi-fi before because I was told that it is much faster than ethernet.

@JesseB in the case of only a 10/100 ethernet port…then wifi can be faster. What speed ports do you have on your devices…computer should be a Gig port…believe your Shield is also Gig…don’t know about your KM2 tho…do a speed test wired & wifi…it may only be a 10/100 port & wifi will be faster…altho 100 is plenty fast for streaming…& it would be more stable.

2 Likes

I can only get a little more than 50 mbs down and a little over 3mbs up. I can’t afford to pay for more speed right now. Thats the same reason I try to be careful about how much data I use. I have a limit. I haven’t checked to see what the ports are on my locator yet. I will stick with the ethernet for awhile and see what happens.

km2 has 10/100 eth. Mine had better speeds with wifi but enough on eth for good stream.

2 Likes

I would say do a speed test both ways…but in your case, with your 50Mbps to the modem from your ISP, wired “should” be better/faster on all your devices. 200Mbps + from your modem would be a different story on your KM2…depending on your router capabilities.

1 Like

Using analiti on my Nshield, I am getting 59 to 60M down and 3M up. with ethernet. On wi-fi I get 55M down and 3M up. I forgot I could send you a message instead of a reply.

i have that same question as to which is most stable

For the vast majority of users Ethernet is more stable. WiFi can suffer from interference from any device like police radios or CB and even micro waves. Not only that but the signal is greatly diminished by walls and even cabinets. I don’t know how many times I’ve been to ppls homes and find they have the modem tucked inside a cabinet sure that’s all well and good for aesthetics but last I checked my phone doesn’t have an ethernet port or switch.

Anything hardwired is more “protected” & stable than wifi…as it is not subject to all the radio frequency (RF) & electromagnetic interference (EMI) of our modern world. An internet search of ethernet vs wifi will explain it all in simple & technical terms. They both can be plenty fast enough for any streaming needs, so it’s just a matter of practicality & convenience…the stability will depend on your own particular home network layout.

1 Like

let me just say this. buffering is rarely a speed issue. My mother had 15 megs and we could watch HOURS of iptv and experience no buffering. granted the only other device in her home that used bandwidth was a cell phone but still just 15 megs, no buffering and when she did have buffering, i turned on a vpn on her firestick which dropped her speed to about 11 megs and you guessed it: buffering stops. so unless you are streaming 4k content, trust me you can get by on 20 megs. latency, routing, throttling and bloated caches etc are the vast majority of buffering issues.

I agree, somewhat, but it sounds like her IP has a good infrastructure. For me, someone who is very familiar with buffering cures, my IP and their infrastructure are very poor and good buffer free streaming requires 30-35 Mbs down. She’s a lucky woman.

2 Likes

ok i understand what you are saying.

Miki is correct…it all starts at the incoming signal to the modem…not all cable/dsl networks are the same. Many are old & in need of lots of repair…others have been repaired & balanced (usually when they’re bought or sold) & produce a clean signal. We’re always at the mercy of the system we have to use.

2 Likes

I think that now that I have my internet stuff using ethernet, I will keep it that way. Now I have time time to find something else to complain about. I don’t know if I need to open a new topic about this or not, but I still have email issues. Even thought I have tried various settings online, every day I get a hundred or more emails relating to other peoples problems and my own that come from the insider gang. I don’t have the time or inclination to just sit here and sift through them all to see if there is anything from you guys giving me advice about whatever my issue is. And even if I don’t mess with them during the day, by nightfall I have 70 or 80 more. Its something I need to change, but I just don’t know what.

Jesse…Click on your moniker (pink button with a J in it top right on the screen)…then click on the little silhouette figure directly below & to the right of the envelope…then click on preferences…click on emails over on the left & switch them to your liking. I would suggest maybe clicking email notification off as you will see any notifications actually on your J moniker (when you open the Insider app) if anyone has replied or messaged you.

1 Like

I left always where it says get email when I have a personal message. I unchecked the other 2 boxes. I hope that works. I was sure to click save. I owe you one, or two, or three. Awe H _ _ _ Thanks.

2 Likes

I changed those settings yesterday. I didn’t feel well so I got up late today. My insider emails looked like a 300 lb. person that lost 250 lbs over night. I guess now all I have to do is open the circle with my initial in it to see if I have any thing meant for me, or answering my questions.Thanks

2 Likes