Firestick 4K Max Can't stream large files

If this has already been discussed elsewhere, please direct me to the right place… I couldn’t find anything specifically about this.

I’m using a Firestick 4K Max with Stremio, RealDebrid, and Surfshark. I have 1GB AT&T Fiber, which gets me around 400Mbps at the Firestick and about 40Mbps with the VPN running.

I can’t select a stream in Stremio for any content that’s larger than about 8GB, and sometimes not even that. If I do, the Firestick goes haywire immediately… the video playback either stutters or hangs, although the audio sometimes continues to play, often warped, and most buttons on the remote no longer function or it can be minutes for a button press to be recognized. I often have to unplug the Firestick to get it functional again. This is not just an issue of buffering - I know what that looks like.

This is annoying because I have a pretty good setup - an LG OLED TV and Sonos Arc sound system. I can’t select the streams that offer the advanced features that my system supports, like Atmos, because they’re usually much larger - often over 20GB.

Can the Firestick just not support torrents that large? Or is it something else in my setup? I should also mentioned that this also happened with my previous 2 devices - a a FireTV and a Firestick 4K (not the Max) so it’s not that this particular Firestick is ‘bad’.

Sounds to me like you are running close to max memory and storage. I always keep my stick with a minimum 1.5GBs of space free. No Kodi builds, just a fork with one or two builds. I used a maintenance tool wih Kodi, specifically Open Wizard and used the presets for low ram. I never watched greater than 1080p and around 2.5 GBs in size. I have background apps and process list installed as well as Fast Task Killer and made it a habit after a day of streaming to use both before watching a vid on Stremio. Do a search for optimizing Max as there are things you can turn off to help.

Having same issues with the same device. Everything was working good last night. I have plenty of memory so it’s not a memory issue.

I went into Surfshark
and it was telling me to turn off killswitch.
Seems to have solved my problem.

I don’t use killswitch, so that’s not my issue.

I have 1.8GB free so that’s not the issue… well, assuming that should be enough space. I don’t think I have cache turned on… not sure if that makes a difference. I’ve deleted all other APKs since I don’t use them - Stremio works well except for this torrent size limitation. Maybe I should try one of the APKs that doesn’t use torrents to see if it has the same problem…

I guess my point with all this is that I have an exceptional 4K TV and an Atmos sound system, but I can barely take advantage of those features, or not at all, because of whatever limitation I’m hitting. I’m just unclear on what that limitation is.

On my 4k max i usually stream 20gb 1080p files no problem. Im assuming you are trying 4k files? I usually just stick to 20gb as anything over can result in buffering. I only have around 40mb fibre.

20GB files would be awesome. I appear to be limited to 8GB, often less. And yes, I prefer 4K files since I have a 4K TV and the picture really is noticeably better at 4K. I realize I could downgrade to 1080p, but that defeats the entire purpose of buying a high-end system (yeah, I know, First World problems…).

And I noticed you said ‘stream’… my understanding is that Stremio actually uses torrents, not streams, so it functions differently. I’m starting to wonder if that’s my problem - it needs the device to store more data at a time than a stream.

Im using real debrid with torrentio, so cached torrents.