Expand Internal Storage on ONN $20 Andriod Box?

Turn off debugging. That worked for me.

Hello Guys,
This whole USB debugging ā€œon or offā€ gets confusing.
Iā€™ve got two of the original Wallmart ONN 4K devices, both running Android 12 and both have external storage installed. On both I shut ā€œUSB Debuggingā€ to install.
Both function with USB Debugging in the off position.
My understanding is if I turn it back on I will loose my external drive if I restart either device.
Is this correct, and what am I loosing if USB debugging remains in the off position?
Please Advise
leahcimj

Itā€™s hit or miss doesnā€™t always work Troy explains this in the tutorial for expanding storage on this device. But as long as you keep Kodi down to one or 2 add-ons no build and keep cache and background processes cleared it fits a lot on the space but have to keep cache and background processes cleared youā€™ll be fine used ONN box for years without expanding storage and I had every app and KODI

This is a fantastic find. Thank you. Iā€™m going to give this a try on my Shield Pro to add my 256GB Samsung Evo.

it will work Miki just make sure to use usb 3.1 for best speeds, although im not sure the shield has 3.1 but still use 3.1 or 2 for future proofing

The EVO 256 SSD drive is in itā€™s own housing and connects using a 2.1 USB connection. Not sure what the Shield has and I need to check the settings on the shield as Iā€™m sure I saw a setting to force apps to external already in there without the dev options, although I do have those enabled. Something new to learn on the shield.

How did you expand the storage ? Did you create two partitions with one internal and one external? What apps have you had success putting on USB internal storage ?

The new 2023 Google tv version is quite simple to add storage not like the 1st Gen box where you have to use adb commands on new one simply power on box with otg cable then plug in USB to otg it reads it and you format as device storage

What 3258 said.
With these devices the storage is ā€˜adoptableā€™ meaning that the USBā€™s storage is recognized as part of the ONNā€™s storage.
Itā€™s not at all as difficult to configure as it is with Fire TV devices.

Following the instructions in the TDUK video posted I love that you can assign percentages of the USB drive for internal or external storage as you see fit. So not only have apps on it that the ONN will use but eject the drive and any other device can play the vids you stored on it. Very helpful imho.

My PNY 256-gb USB installed, but is showing in storage that its not connected and with a drop down message appearing after attempting to migrate the apps/files, saying ā€œCould Not Migrate Data To PNY USB Driveā€.
I Installed with debugging on & restarted the Onn device after the USB was installed.
Am unable to find anything about how exactly to connect or what that means as far as my Onn device goes.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Jeffrey

As I stated in an earlier post, I have had many models of the fire sticks over the years with no issues. I even bought a Onn box the 1st year it was released for evaluation to one day migrate away from Amazon. I was able to get an external drive to function on that with no problem. Last week I purchased 3 of the latest 4k Onn boxes with hopes of switching to them and off the fire sicks for good. I canā€™t do that without functionality of an external drive so my wife has the capability of recording the shows she follows with the Tivimate DVR capabilities.We have been using the Tivimate quite a bit with the fire sticksdor recording. So far no luck with the Onn boxes which is very frustrating and preventing me from burning the Amazon bridge for my streaming solution.

Iā€™ve finally installed my PNY 256gb flash drive to the 4 4k Hd Onn boxes I purchased for Dad and I and they are working. The one thing I cannot do even after installing the ADB Shield codes is get them to migrate data.
However, I can manually migrate the data and in the past three weeks, any addons/apps I load automatically migrate to my external storage. It took having to watch many videos to get this far.
Theyā€™re great streaming boxes but for this issue with external storage.

1 Like

What was your reason for needing to add an external flash drive to your ONN box?
Just curious as to whyā€¦

Thanks for any input