Download speed very low

I have four sets and one set is getting download speed of 14 and buffering issue. Others getting 30+, all with no buffering issue. Not much difference with or without using a VPN. I have 200 service. Old guy question…is this a cable company issue?
Thanks

1 Like

@pophott

What do you mean you have 4 sets? All 4 devices running vpn and downloading at once? That would cause slow speeds if you have bad bandwidth allocation.

When encountering buffering please take a look here, lots of info.

I meant have 4 TV sets. Do other devices like iPad, phone and computer use bandwidth? Is it smart to call cable company about this issue?

@pophott

There is way to many variables to give you an answer. Cant just say i habe 4 tvs and everything is buffering and its all slow.

I provided a link. You should be doing speed tests and investigating this issue. Its not going to be a direct answer. Vpns do decrease your speeds but again so many variables. The cable company wont do anything but check your line noise, flaps and isp provided modem if they are fine you are on your own.

1 Like

I did speed test… three sets are at least 25+…and work fine. One TV is between 10-14 and is buffering.

troubleshoot a little. Shut everything down except the tv with buffering issues and see if the problem persist??? if not, bingo. If so further look into wiring etc of that set… process of ellimination.

2 Likes

First establish that there are no issues with your telephone line/cable connection. If after testing and elimination that, you’d have to test every device on your network independently. There are so many factors in play here. The spec of each TV/Device will be different. Is the connection to all wired/wifi. Are they all online and active at the same time. Its going to be a tedious task, but fault finding one device at a time, step by step considering all the points I’ve suggested will narrow down where the likely issue is. Good Luck :+1:

How far from your modem/router is the TV? Are there any walls or obstructions? If so be sure to use the 2.4 GHz band, if no obstructions and within say 30 Ft. of the modem try the 5GHz band. As others have mentioned, this is a tough thing to diagnose remotely.

I am somewhat puzzled by VPN’s in General. I have Approx 325mps service , but if I use IP Vanish, it is only about 75 to 100 mps. Why should my VPN reduce it so much? John Berg Patron[quote=“pophott, post:1, topic:68076, full:true”]
I have four sets and one set is getting download speed of 14 and buffering issue. Others getting 30+, all with no buffering issue. Not much difference with or without using a VPN. I have 200 service. Old guy question…is this a cable company issue?
Thanks
[/quote]

I know Troy has a tutorial on IP Vanish tells you about All the way you can change settings to increase performance. Try changing servers and so on . Try the search button up top for the tutorial I have Ipvanish and have not much loss at all also some loss in speedos normal good luck :grin::v:https://troypoint.com/ipvanish-vpn-supercharge-guide/

OP: What “sets” are you referring to that you are measuring download speeds on? Smart TVs? Amazon Firesticks? Something else?

the lower speeds are on non-smart TVs . I use firestick on all.

OK, make sure you’re connected to the same network on all sticks (if you have both 2.4GHz and 5GHz). Do you have the same apps and setup on all 4? Have you restarted the troublesome stick? Do they all have the same amount of free memory? When did you last do a factory reset on the troublesome stick? Are they all the same model of stick? When you go to network settings on the sticks, are they all showing the same signal strength?

Hey @pophott You may have already & nothing changed…but if not…pull power on the firestick with the problem & also pull power on your router for about 10 seconds so you can dump memory & reestablish a fresh connection…then check speeds & see if the new connection changed anything. Also, make sure your power cable is plugged into a wall receptacle.

1 Like

I’ve also found that IPTV buffering is often from the link and not from your download speeds or memory issues. A ticket to the provider is sometimes the only way to resolve this.

1 Like

Buffering has literally dozens of causes it’s one of the hardest things to rectify let alone analyze and isolate.

Hey @pophott Haven’t heard from you in a while…still having problems or have you fixed it? One other thing you can try, if possible: swap a good working firestick setup (all components…hdmi/power adapter & cable/device) out with the one that’s getting low speeds. Do a test on both of them on their different tvs & see if any difference…then let us know. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like