Don't Use VPN Services

I found this post quite interesting in light of recent articles on Troypoint:

1 Like

hmmmm…lets see…Things I would say if I worked for BIG gov/TV…#1…A vpn is bad, real bad…#2…hmmm oh and its not safe…#3…cant trust any vpn service, because they are worthless… #4…you can trust me because my cat says i’m great :rofl: :crazy_face: :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

I think if you read the article, there’s much more to it than that.

a lot of truth in that article

jaxandjake-smell

3 Likes

???

How’s that?

???

Been streaming for 5-6 years VPN Free. I rarely use my VPN really only in the very few instances where I need to download movies/shows to watch on a plane

4 Likes

Agree (unless your streaming source uses torrents). I think if you’re downloading torrents from, say, The Pirate Bay, then a VPN will protect you from ISPs, MPAA and/or other gung-ho copyright owners. What they won’t appear to protect you from is CYA on the part of the VPN service in whatever form that may come.

1 Like

What the article says is that a VPN protects you from the watchers but who’s going to protect you from the vpn?

4 Likes

This article is very interesting and food for thought. I believe govt can trace most things if needed. May be a false sense if security. But, I will continue to use my VPN for all streaming needs. I feel more comfortable using it. Its totally a pesonal choice for everyone.

11 Likes

I agree it may be a false sense of security but I feel it’s definitely needed. I also believe the government can get what ever information that they want :v::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Yep, Big Brother is always watching.:face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes

One point ignored. Who is stealing your identity, or banking info, and why? Because you leave your system open on public WiFi for one. Does a VPN help protect you from that. Absolutely.
Deep packet scanning is a fact of life, but I doubt the goverment, or a really good hacker, would bother with me on a limited income and $50 to my name.

8 Likes

Did Efrem Zimbalist Jr post this post?

3 Likes

Cant say whether the article is factual or not,but I do know I just tried to watch a movie on Beetv with the free version of proton VPN off,movie wouldn’t play,then turned on vpn went back to exact same movie,it played all the way thru with no buffer or stopping.

2 Likes

Post deleted by user

We talk about this so often in here. Nothing we do is 100% anonymous and 100% untraceable…nothing. What we can create for ourselves is a more difficult path if anything “hits the fan”. If they want to find out more about any of us individually, there is nothing we can do to prevent that. But what about the other millions of users? The easiest path to information and prosecution is likely the route that would be taken, if it ever comes down to that. Normally, they will be after the copyright infringers that distribute the content, but that doesn’t mean I cant help myself by using a vpn to remain mostly anonymous.

8 Likes

Actually, my bank (Bank of America) blocks online access from VPNs! Don’t know how they do that but it’s not the only service I’ve used that’s done it.

1 Like

There are several shopping sites I use that block VPN access as well. I typical don’t use public internet. My cell plan comes with unlimited call, text, and data.

1 Like

Ya I never access online banking from public networks, but you’d be amazed at how many do. My Canadian bank blocks VPNs as well. I access public networks for convenience but only with an active VPN.

2 Likes