Device that is built solid with plenty of memory and ram... better than firestick but not $300

I am just about fed up with Amazon fire tv. t has been a great product for me but what an intruder in your life.
I have never spent the money to get the so called best, is it worth it? I tried a lot of the many different devices early on and went thru a lot of disappointment. Just wondering if anyone has found a happy medium in a device as good if not better than Firestick without the intrusion in your life.

5 Likes

All depends on where you want to go. Stock or Android TV. I really like the BuzzTV and Formuler boxes and mecool is your budget box imho. Of course the Shield is still king but at a price still and not really an update in some time. Many choices out there…what to do? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Also is it worth it to take another look at Plex or create a home NAS for Streaming ? Everything is so cheap now to add a huge usb 48mbs drive with sections for your movies and music Juke Box Style, Pictures in album formt or trip format.

4 Likes

Yes, setting up your own Plex server is super convenient. One of the best things I have done.

1 Like

I use a cheap $200 mini pc as my nas with about 13tb of external storage and rather than plex I use emby but although I like channelsdvr the best. I run one iptv service on my nas and thats what I record with but I can record from tivimate on my shield with samba to my nas. Many configurations are out there.

4 Likes

In addition to Buzz TV devices mentioned here, you should take a look at Ugoos AM 6 B Plus and AM 7 models, which run on stock Android, have 32 gb internal memory and 4 gb of RAM. I bought the AM 6 Pro and 6 B Plus boxes 3 years ago, never turn them off and they run great. These are very high quality streaming boxes, run very cool and can be had for under $200. You can see reviews for these devices on Utube.

7 Likes

Plenty of non expensive choices. If you want Stock android look into the T95Z Plus boxes just be aware of the different variations in Chips, RAM, storage. And you cannot go wrong with the $20 Walmart ONN Box

5 Likes

I’m in the same boat as rick1, I bought the Cube after I started running crazy low on storage. The Cube has been great until it has started running low on storage. I have moved absolutely everything I can move to external memory which didn’t help a whole lot. I don’t know what I did last week but for some reason I gained a gig back. But now it’s creaping back down again. I noticed last night that A-zon added a news program, why?

I run Fast Task Killer first thing. Then I use Defsquid to clean things up several time a week. Every two weeks I run the Maid. Typically, every night before I shut down I clean all the cache/data of all things on internal memory. I’m thing that something, not associated with the seller of the Fire universe, might not be loading a bunch of stuff I don’t need or use.

1 Like

Make sure sdmaid has all permissions. Many people will install it and run it not realizing its not set up correctly. Now im not saying the all the permissions are attainible on a a fire device or a android tv device, with each update they are becoming more and more locked down.

4 Likes

Thank you TXRon for the suggestion. I will check on the permissions. I was certain that I had allowed everything but it sure doesn’t hurt to make certain.

BTW, I apologize to rick1. I didn’t mean to throw my issues to the conversation. More as a “I’m with ya on the Fire platform issues”.

1 Like

Mecool KM6. Has all the specs, cheap, works great.

1 Like

Have you reviewed the device Unblock OS for overseas use. There is on latest version but you need to follow updated instructions to go around the issues.

2 Likes

I got a Mecool KM1 “Deluxe” (4,32) for sixty bucks and change due to discounts. It’s working great for me and has double the memory ram compared to the KM6.

1 Like

Super! Did you get this MeCool or through another source?

2 Likes

The KM6 delux mecool has 4/64 which is double the storage of the km1

7 Likes

Two items Nvidia shield price around $200.00 I have two of them and both work very well. The oldest one is 6 yr and it gets all the updates,

If you want something cheaper try the tivo $40,00 at amazon.com works very well no amazon bloat wear.

The storage speace is a litlle smaller than the firestick. It is rumoured that new firesticks are on the way so we will see what that brings

1 Like

As TXRon says the “Deluxe” model of the KM6 has more internal storage than my KM1 “Deluxe”. But I formatted a flash drive as more storage anyway. I bought mine direct from the site, but if you can find them at Walmart, you will have realistic return options. Not sure what the KM6 Deluxe goes for but it sounds like a good one. Also not sure if the ethernet port is limited to 100 mbps like my KM1 Deluxe is. But I think I paired a 20% MeCool discount with a Troypoint discount from a link in a past article of his.

2 Likes

the km6 is 1000mb internet

2 Likes

What is the price point? I’ve had the KM1 Deluxe for about four months and recently went to their site and it wasn’t there.

1 Like

not sure, it usually hovers around $100 give or take. The km6 is their best spec device with km2 the best cert device. mecools are all over the place with boxes