Debloat tool firestick

My 2nd gen FS OS is OS5. Dont know exactly how you’re setup but would the Debloat OS6 work in any way with my 2nd gen OS5? Sorry if I’m below par on this but I’m fairly new(bie) and thought only way to Debloat 2nd gen was with remote ADB shell.
Thanks for any answers

1 Like

If you do a search there are threads with the answers to your question. Search for debloat Fire OS 5.

2 Likes

Just did update check. Fire TV up to date. Software Ver: Fire OS 5.2.x.x(672xxxxxx). 2nd Gen. FS.
So I’m running OS 5.2.x.x right?
Thanks for the response. :v::beers:

3 Likes

Yes you are. Personally, I think you would be better off just buying a 4K Max, but that’s just me. The 4K I got in 2018 lasted a long time but it is now just a fully configured backup. Unfortunately I missed the black friday sale in the US and had to wait for some friends to bring me down the new Max. Which btw cost me $70 Cdn. I can’t be happier. I honestly love it and after watching some of @Jayhawks659 vids for TiViMate I’m going to expand storage and experiment with recording just for fun and for my customers who might like the added option.

5 Likes

Seriously considering upgrading to the 4k. Read my mind on that one. I’m so new I was thinking now maybe there’s an advantage in having the older model.??? I have seen those situations.

2 Likes

Not in the case of an OS. The older the OS the less likely you are to find compatible apps. Not only that but with the latest OS you get better security, more performance, and a more diverse set of options.

2 Likes

No, however you can partially debloat the 2nd gen running the 5OS. Problem is there are only 15 processes which can be stopped.
In the 4K model there are 93 but I only advise using 78 of them. This was how many I turned in to TechDoc when we were creating the DeBloater tool. Initially I was only doing 21 then increased to 33 then 55 which explains the number of versions. However TechDoc used advice from some other buddies on the final version which I do not agree with the added 15 of their solutions.
The DeBloat for the Gen 2 was my creation & I also have done the square version & as per normal given it away.
This is the same reason why the DeBloat Tool is freeware. I do like how he created the app making it so very easy. I had been doing it by hand for well over a year prior to the app.
Visit TechDoctorUK.com in the tutorial section scroll up to around April 2020 to find the 2nd Generation method.
My personal advice is use the Gen 2 as backup or on a seldom used bedroom TV & but a 4K. Reason is processor speed which has everything to do with buffering problems originating from the Stick, add a Y adapter & a UGreen expansion. Put a Samsung 3.1 usb32 gig drive on it (Speeds require minimum 250/MBs to properly operate) & run an ethernet cable to the usb expansion hub.
Personally - I run NVidia Shield Pro. nothing on the market comes close & add a 32 gig drive to it.
Fully realize others will attest their superior technical knowledge which is why I very seldom comment but I created the DeBloat methodology & TechDoc created the app which made using everything simple.
1 real key - when using the DeBloat tool, every few months unclick all the checkmarks, then update the Firestick completely. After updating return & run the Debloat tool again. It is also good to check the tool once per month as sometimes depending on what someone has done, particular processes become active again.
Now to really get into it - using ES File Explorer, uninstall all the Bloatware processes such as news, screensaver, Amazon shopping etc. back down to their installation file.

5 Likes

Good stuff French… thanx for sharing…

& maybe add IMDB to that uninstall list…

1 Like

In the Debloat tool, there are 6 running TV processes to stop which IMDB is a part of. Since I am a streamer only, I stop every Amazon proprietary process which has anything to do with Live TV with the exception of Prime which I have an account. In the final version of the DeBloat tool there are 5 processes which are identified as Prime. Make real sure to stop the Firestick Updating as you will fight Amazon every week otherwise.
What is humorous, I started creating DeBloating just to stop Screensaver & the auto-updates doing everything by hand discovering the processes trial & error (lots of errors) using ES Explorer.
I only gave a partial list & IMDB & the Video Player are Definite uninstalls.
1 huge piece of advice to everyone - Download/Install a freeware program named DefSquid. Run this program weekly. Make absolutely sure to run the Virus Scan in full. Uninstall every app which shows to be Malicious. Check the apps it lists as questionable as to Why it is questionable & uninstall those which you do not use often. The Cleaner is excellent but also use SD Maid.

6 Likes

While I agree that newer is more future proof, an issue with the OS7 devices is that they don’t show the icons for sideloaded apps (or even some Amazon store apps). Yes, you can get around this with a custom launcher, but many of us don’t want to do this. That’s why I stuck with the regular 4k stick.

1 Like

This is only a time issue and not the fault of the Firestick in any way. The app developers have not coded their stuff for the Fire TV OS 7 and will take time to catch up. I have the new Firestick 4K AFTKA (max) and all my sideloaded apps have full icons but that’s because I have the Wolf Loader installed.

1 Like

I have a few apps that won’t show in my favorites. So, I just made a short cut for those apps and now they appear in my favorites folder. It’s pretty easy to make short cuts and you can even customize the poster for the app to display.

Btw, even though your app may not appear on your home/favorite’s screen. They will be present in your “all” apps page.

2 Likes

Great post, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 6 days. New replies are no longer allowed.