Copyright strike

Has anyone here ever gotten a copyright strike from isp or known someone who has if so explain the situation please and thank you RESPECTFUL COMMUNITY

Back in the Day when I was a lot dumber and first started using KODI I downloaded (who downloads now? LOL) a few movies without a VPN and received a few of the emails from my ISP. It basically says on this day, at this time, with this ip address, XYZ Movie was downloaded. If this continues your service will be shut off, you will be fined a Gazillion dollars, and could get the death penalty. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH. Never responded and never heard from them again but that’s how I learned about using a VPN going forward

4 Likes

Oh yeah that was when kodi was still in the wild wild west era of cord cutting amazing how it has advanced since then. Technology is the best thing since sliced bread :bread:

4 Likes

its-a-real-thing-look-it-up

3 Likes

Lmao thanks for the laugh I needed it tp insider greatest comedy show in the world

About 8 yrs ago, an email from my ISP. I had downloaded a movie via a torrent client and they were aware of the title, time and date of the download. They informed me about access and downloading of copyrighted material. It never went any further. Things have progressed since and I now use a VPN at all times. Rare, if ever that I would download movies or TV series now. You can pretty much watch whatever and whenever in the available Apps and IPTV services.
I do on occasion download some VSTs in my DAW, but only to ‘test’ them out :sunglasses:

1 Like

Downloading from unofficial sources from internet has always and will always be a horrible mistake it’s one of the top ways to get hacked or get virus. I have never and will never download anything from unofficial sources especially tv or movies

Yes it’s a real thing yes it has happened it depends on the country and state that you live in. I have seen your posts regarding this and i don’t like your attitude towards it however you are entitled to your thoughts and speech. But let me shed some light on this… Your ISP personally does not care about copyright laws or any of that stuff… It’s when big rich movie elite companies that subpoena your ISP to say hey this ip address has gotten our stuff illegally… Now this is where it gets grey area and dumb… At that point the ISP can not give out your info period unless a court order has been filed… But this can be different depending on the country or state you live in and the agreement that isp has between the state and well copyright laws.

Yes you are correct and ISP dont care but as i mentioned it depends on how server and what the agreement is. Also a VPN will encrypt your data streams so if any thing is monitored it’s hidden or encrypted which takes way to long to decrypt. As a former BIG tech worker and isp tech agent i can tell you all your inet data can be tracked and watched… Do we do it for fun? no… But info you search and stuff can be sold and brought back to you as advertisements. So yes we want you to have protection. ISP’s can log into your isp supplied modem and trace your supplied ip which is when you are watching streams or downloading torrents we recommend you to change that and hide it. ISP’s have a lot of tools at their end.

When using Real Debrid and accessing from their data base a vpn isnt always needed but still recommended. So please keep this in mind, its why we are very strick on using a vpn, all your internet traffic can be viewed and searched by your ip address and if a hacker has it even worse.

5 Likes

Besides id theft or card fraud hackers don’t care for regular people nothing in it for them they go for important people and companies average Joe has nothing to worry about from hacking unless some script kiddie is trying to prove themselves. Read an article on tp and like half the major ISP were sued from media companies bc they didn’t care about copyright and wasn’t trying to give them customer info. Seems like isp s get in more trouble instead of the violators themselves.

1 Like

If you know what you are doing, what to look for in the download, there is zero risk.

1 Like

Downloading is always dumb from unofficial sources on the internet it’s like running through a mine field no matter how careful it’s going to get you. They even have viruses on official anti virus software

1 Like

So I’m dumb? Thats fine! I’ve been downloading for 30 yrs and never had a device compromised. Never once downloaded a malicious file, trojan, virus or been hacked. Why? Because no matter if an official or unofficial source, legit or ‘cracked’ software etc, I know what I"m doing when it comes to accessing and downloading content from the internet.

1 Like

And, your minefield analogy is flawed. One of my closes friends serves in the Armed Forces and has been clearing them since the Falklands War. Hasn’t got him yet! Why? I guess he is just lucky! Or maybe it’s the odds are in his favour because, he kinda knows what he is doing. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Whatever :rofl::crazy_face: lmao :joy: LMAO is this really serious to you this platform is for fun and games it’s not life or death

trolls gona troll :crazy_face: :grimacing:

2 Likes

Sure he isn’t just running through he has some tool or tech he uses to do it and even still there are plenty of veterans with missing limbs to prove that whatever process or techniques he uses isn’t perfect

Hmm for fun? Ok. But for me my security is serious. Helping others by providing suggested fixes or apps or how and why to use a VPN for anonymity. Yes we have a few laughs and enjoy meeting new ppl here, well most, and helping the beginners start their journey down the cord cutting hiway. But I’m just an ordinary person with a few helpful skills. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Oh and ask @TXRon I know all about weather widgets.
(if only I knew what a widget was)

3 Likes

agreed, some people take things real serious it’s just fun for me.I’m old as dirt and love learning new things.

5 Likes

Serious enough to put the effort in to protect myself while online. I could have thrown a lifeline or two your way to help make sure you download safely, but hey I"m dumb :joy:
Good luck :sunglasses:

Perfect for him! And he is the proof, training, tech, tools and all! There will always be risks, so be as best prepared as you can be, thats all we can do.
Goodnight and good luck :+1: