Computer builds

Awesome new category.

I have recently rebuilt my computer at home with all new amd guts and pulled my Intel out, after tons of testing and benchmarks along with budgets the amd came out on top for gaming. The multi threading was huge in rending out graphics for when I did make videos and edit software.

But I don’t do that as much. I now need a new card and I’m torn between rtx 30’s or rdna 6900xt

I’m playing the waiting game as prices are bad in Canada, however I’m also looking at a amd cpu rtx 3080 laptop and considering it as I never have much time to play just when I’m waiting and docks while I get loaded in my rig. Plus it’s portable I can take it with me and steel wifi.

What is everyone’s thoughts on this? Bit the bullet get laptop or save on a video card for the rig, I’m planning on selling it if I get a laptop. Curious to hear from all of you on this, technology always changes

2 Likes

If I was going to invest I would grab a refurb Dell lappy especially if you travel alot… Dis reguard if you are a gamer :rofl:… get out the bucks. Got to keep up with the other kids :sunglasses:. I prefer my desktop with ease of changing out parts. I havent used a windows machine since XP. …hardcore linux only here :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

@TXRon

That has come to mind. If in going to game and be probable I may as well get the laptop.

I may just get a cheaper laptop for home and and wait for video cards to come down.

I’m not a fan of refurbished only because some of the bad places here. I have always been desktop qll the way, I swapped out parts from my server tower hundreds of times. It’s a great case. Canada is so bad for prices for computer parts. I only used Linux on sever applications. I do have a Linux Ubuntu tho.

Someone from the USA ship me a 6800xt :wink:

2 Likes

I drove semi 26 years and always used laptop. If truck broke down and I had to spend night in motel then I had laptop to carry with me. I just bought a Dell off Marketplace for $130 US dollars. Laptop sold new in 2019 for $1200. The girl’s parents bought her a Mac. This laptop could be used for gaming easy. i5 Intel, 8 gigs of ram. I could get $400 for it but decided to keep. In my opinion, you would be better off trucking with a laptop.

1 Like

Im in the middle of a small upgrade. Just purchased a new 1tb ssd. Going to take my 2tb hdd and use for storage, server…etc. SSD 970 EVO Plus NVMe® M.2 1 TB Memory & Storage - MZ-V75S1T0B/AM | Samsung US

2 Likes

Okay, so i tore apart my computer to clean it, and im measuring my bay for a new card, I was waiting till they came down in price, as they are coming out each year with new devices so its pointless to buy brand new… games cant even keep up or will ever utilize these gpus. Anyway, as i noticed i have a 3 8pin connectors i cant get 3080 or higher, they need 12 pin so anyone looking into new cards make sure you have the right size and pin connectors. i dont want to upgrade my power supply so i will get a 3070ti later on as it works in my case. however i have downscaled to 2k gaming thats the sweet spot. 4k 60 frames is doable with a no limit budget lol.

for now im replacing my monitor with a 2k one and going to use my current gpu on it till i get the new card. I’m looking into other cooling options i used the wraith cooler as it came with my cpu and temps are okay, but thinking of going back to liquid cooling. Temps are within 2-5 degrees on this units so its not much of a difference and thats on high end gaming. What are your guys thoughts on coolers and gpus? I was going to get the amd 6900xt or higher as they have better power and voltage draws… but all of the sudden they are more pricy than the rtx cards which is strange as amd is always lower. The new super feudality imaging is super impressive but not yet up to dlss 2.0

Rtx cards have better software support dlss and gsync capability’s

Great hobby huh? :grinning:

Since my gaming days are over I tend to stick with beefed up onboard graphics etc not to mention the quality has skyrocketed on these type devices. My big ole’ desktop tower is sitting in the corner and I have a minisforum mini pc that has taken its place with 2tb storage, 64gb ram(I know overkill) and just fast…with 4 monitors as well… I know I need to see a doctor :crazy_face:

Hi @TP-Dracoo
So in the interest of full disclosure, I know nothing about computer builds. But economics, I now a little. The bump up in price is likely due to shortages. But again, I am hesitant to say anything more here on this thread, as I’m certain you: a) knew this already and b) I know nothing about computer builds.

2 Likes

All good buddy.

Part of the reason this has been on hold, sclapers and shortages… inflated prices. I will use my old gpu on 1440p for now if needed.

1 Like

I have 3, im getting rid of them, using 1 2k gaming monitor. I used to be into gaming rigs and setups… aha but not so much anymore. 60 frames on a 1440p with 120hz is good enough.

This is my 4th time rebuilding this pc.

1 Like

Shes alive!!! Just waiting on my ips display, using a 1080p small tv lol. I know rbg puke!

Doing a windows reset (lost my win 10 bootable drive) then the fun part of drivers and controler software yay… i can now fully test stuff for this wonderful troy community and will stsrt using vpns and proxies to help others if needed.

Edit:

My ugoos antennas actually screw into my motherboards wifi atenna adapter i wonder if they will increase the range of the incoming single becuase i have no bars in here. I typically hardwired my pc but i have to move the cables in the bedroom which is running the cable along the house and drilling holes and im lazy

Is that one of them fancy disco dance machines from the 80’s :joy: :grimacing: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles: :sparkles:

1 Like

Ahaha basically.

I like the pretty lights. Its like flames on a 30s ford or a camaro

2 Likes

And it appears you have one of them clackety mechanical keyboards all lit up…retro dude :sunglasses:

Its actually omni switch which is magnetic. Geeeez get it right.

gimme a break…I was blinded by the light :rofl:

Did you build the case of buy it somewhere?

The case i bought, i built everything inside of it. Its a huge server case. Love this case. Wish i had it in black.

If anyone builds pcs… wire management is a pain!

1 Like

Former hobby was rebuilding PC’s & laptops from scraps then selling them at actual cost to families with children to use for school. Gave away quite a few free.
Hardware is simple, wire is a definite pain.
Never a gamer which upset my son & nephew.
My personal is an Apple Pro Mac on an 80" TV/monitor but now it is an antique tower at 4 years old.
Good luck - I recommend a laptop don’t skimp on memory.

1 Like