Chromebooks with Kodi

I was wondering if anyone has tested both and can tell me which version of Kodi will work smoother/faster on basic Chromebooks… 20 or 19? I’m not normally a Chromebook user, but have been given over a half dozen that are easily repairable and thought I’d ask. Thanks in advance for any info.

Probably 19, 20.1 uses more resources than 19, but if you have more than 2gigs or ram you should be fine.

2 Likes

Great answer, and fast! :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks so much.

They are starting to beef up chromebooks more. Ive been checking them out and some are actually high in price. Was talking with a guy who uses a chrome box pretty much in the same way we use android boxes. Neat :alien:

1 Like

They really are pretty useful. If you enable developer mode you can sideload almost any apk you would on your Shield or Android box.

2 Likes

Hi, I also got 3 old Chromeboxes that I am trying to convert for Kodi. Because they are old 1st generation box that are other-wise pretty useless. Since I cannot fine much info here, can I email/contact that ‘guy’ - because I want to get some tips on how he did his…

Mr. Chrome box (google it)
you might have to remove the bottom and then take out the jumper or screw that unlocks the bios firmware to install UEFI.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the information.

Yes, Mr Chromebox was very helpful, and helped me with great patience. And was able to get it installed and running.

I still want to express my appreciation for your help.

Hi since you are so knowledgeable on the old Chromebox…
Here’s the issue I need help with: I use Surfshark vpn, and was able to install the vpn (as an add on) straight to the Libre Kodi, and was working great. But I then experimented installing the Diggz build to the Libre kodi, and it did install and replaced the plain kodi. BUT, I just cannot get Surfshark add on to install. I managed to install the Zomboided tool, and the Open vpn add ons (Surfshark provided the instructions to install Surfshark vpn as add on to Kodi). So, the specific problem is that Diggz Build is showing that the 2 addons (Zomboided & Open vpn manager) are ‘…error’ - even though they got installed and running, and is able to do the configuring. It’s just the last steps of actually getting the vpn (files downloaded from Surfshark to the USB jump drive) to install. Because the vpn files in the jump drive could not even show up. It shows the Zomboided zip installer file only.

Wonder if you can help me understand and solve the issue?
Thanks in advance!

Happy to help.
Looking into for you…now.

You followed this example?
Troy covered this a while back

I have done it this way and no problems. (USE TCP for both IMHO)
(https://support.surfshark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360011415580-Set-up-Surfshark-on-LibreELEC-with-Kodi-add-on)

BTW…
after Mr Chromebox update the BIOS to UEFI, I thought I would get a bit sneaky/tricky.
I squeezed Windows 11 onto the 16 GB SSD and got KODI/Sufhark installed…barely.
USE Tiny11NETDEV. Do no use a torrent.
Also try Android 8.1 K49 -x86 on your SSD if it has 16GB. Works and has tons of room for KODI.SurfShark and TIVIMATE. make sure the bridge is working in settings and use KODI for -x86. Currently only thru Jenkins at Kodi.tv (20.3)
Send some specs on the boxes…I am curious.
Good Luck.
Android version here (link to foss hub from android-x86.org)
Old Android-x86 versions download

1 Like

Thank you again for your help. It’s ASUS Chromebox CN60, and I have doubled the RAM (since I have 3 of these, I sacrificed one for the ram) otherwise the specs are not much to celebrate… I just don’t like to have them go to waste. If I can install Windows 11 ( I assuming it’s the tiny Win11? ) Will be great or Chrome OS flex to them that would be fantastic also, or whatever OS that I can experiment with. Btw, I am not computer savvy, I am a retired senior that is fascinated with technology, and want to learn and experiment. And if you can help me get an OS install the these boxes to revive their useage, so I can get an app or 2 installed, that would be really wonderful too. Because the way it is now, they’re just e-waste, if not for the LibreELEC.

Ok, back to the issues I am stucked with…
Yes, I have no problem installing the Zomboided & the vpn manager & Surfshark - into plain LibreELEC Kodi. But because that’s all that I can do, after the LibreELEC kodi - it can only accept addons. It will not be able to take in any apk or apps. So it was very limited to usage & functions. It’s after I installed the Diggz build that I have the problem with installing the vpn.

Even with Diggz build, I was able to install Zomboided & the vpn manager without problem. It is only the very least steps of getting the vpn files that I am stucked. (Diggz build kodi looks completely different than the original kodi. Even the LibreELEC kodi looks and functions exactly the same as the original kodi.)

Because the Diggz build is versatile and provides a wide range of features, I really like it vs the plain LibreELEC kodi.

1 Like

Hello Ktoy-

I just checked the specs on your CN60.

In my opinion, Libreelec is a OK OS. Reliable. Great support but has its own way of doing things.

Chrome Flex…glorified Chrome. Why put up with restrictions/Dev Mode/Side Loading blah blah blah.
…a real P.I.T.A (see note #1)

You can do more. Unleash those old boxes.

Your CN60s are a duo core 1.4 Mhz cpu with 2 GB ram and 16 GB storage.
Am I on track here?
You upped the RAM. Good move. You need a min of 4 GB for smooth sailing. 2 GB is barely cutting it.

Easiest way(s) to solve your issues and bring these systems back to life are these two:
(Do both or singularly)

Option One
Use WinToUSB and load Windows.
(You will still need to go through setup)
(Windows will not install to USB sticks without this step.)
(You may need to adjust BIOS/UEFI boot order a few times before/during/after install…depends on the YOUR hardware…hopefully it is not an issue…If it is…it is minor and will not be an issue after setting everything up.)

WintoUSB takes about 30 minutes to run. This Part is for setting up the OS on a USB stick.
(I recommend a 64 or 128* GB USB stick/thumb USB drive3.1 or better.*

You Now can install and configure Tiny 11.
Do it offline(faster and/or it will BLOAT fast without making sure SYSTEM UPDATES are absolutely TURNED OFF.
It is a easy set up but you run into the 54GB warning on diskspace…just TAB to format/partition disk and do your best to bypass it. (this part takes a bit of patience but it works)
Tiny will install to a footprint of about 12GB+/-.
When done you may find a few things not working. No WORRIES. Windows does not have the drivers needed. Only the MFR does…and guess what …they are for CHROME OS only. NO WORRIES.
You will need :Windows Install Helper
Look by BOARD which will give the chipset for which the drivers work with. Your model CNXX may not be there but the motherboard with its’ installed chipset most likely will be.
After that Device Manager in Windows 11 MAY NOT have all the drivers it needs (although Windows ma run fine). Next step is to use a program that will update and/or find a few extras. I have used Ashampoo Driver Updater. It is free. There are other Driver programs out there but they may not be as update to date. Ashampoo takes longer but it is thorough.
OK now you have a working Windows . Install Kodi and Surfshark. Configure. Test it.

If all ok …-----------------STOP.-------------

Now use Balena Etcher to clone the USB drives. (yes can clone more than one at a time)
When done cloning 2 more USB sticks, You will have your 3 Chrome Boxes working.
IF FOR ANY reason Etcher causes problems with your sticks , MiniTool Partition Wizard can fix them (ie MBR/GPT issues are somewhat (slight chance) common)

Now you have a working system but still nothing to do with that 16 GB SSD.

Option Two:
You could use any number of Android for pc or Linux OS’s. They may or may run KODI or not. IPTV is hit or miss…mostly miss unless you use FreeTuxTV for Linux or a derivative. (another story…long one)
Remember that you have a Intel CPU. Most KODI apks are for ARM7 or ARM8 cpu’s w/x86/AMD64.
(Not all at times ( Refer to Jenkins)
Kodi developers do port exclusively KODI to -x6 (Intel).

To clarify:
For Windows and Android
See:Recommended

One issue you may run into is distinguishing what version of KODI you get and making sure your system recognizes what to do with it. This is addressed by software called NATIVE BRIDGE in the OS you choose. My solution is simple. Use Android 8.1/ 9 -x86

https://www.android-x86.org/

It works. It has Google support…meaning PLAY STORE…hint hint…easy downloads)
Almost everything in Troy’s toolbox works.
ANDROID -X86 for PC is SIMPLE. It is FAST. It is almost BULLETPROOF…and it has a arcade game look/feel Grub2 Boot Manager that will not stick to your USB (unlike a linux OS or some Android for pc OS’s). It takes about 4 GB after being fully loaded up with Surf Shark & KODI & your build. You have about 11+GB more to add whatever you like.
One warning. It will not work with most IPTV player apk’s . Again that Native Bridge issue pops up.
If your run into KODI issues on straight Android…msg me** (IPTV within KODI works fine)
Kodi from Troypoint is fine. Other sources…iffy…they may be genuine but not exactly the cpu/apk combo you are looking for.
Again:
See:Recommended

In almost all DuaL/Multiple Boot setups involving MS…Install Windows FIRST. Install Linux/Android OS’s .exe’s from INSIDE Windows (easy to remove/uninstall).

Installing .ISO’s from boot may cause issues but not serious to the boot order in the BIOS/UEFI after uninstalling the OS. All easily solvable.

Android -x86 with Kodi and Surf Shark will take less than 20 minutes to install.

I kept this simple. I know there are minor discrepancies from the tech side but overwhelming someone with the extraneous details unnecessary.
Hope this helps.

Any questions…just ask. I check Troypoint almost daily for bits of info or to socialize for a bit.
Best of luck, do not give up. If you have ANY questions feel free to ask.
Forgive the typos. I wrote this reply without a fully working ‘Y’ key…but that is another story.
-N. Bizz

• The MOST important part of selecting a USB stick is the the ADVERTISED speed by the brand. READ speed is more important than write but fast read and dog-slow write speeds sticks are out there, 100 READ Mbps will work but go with a USB that hits at least 175Mbps.
    For about $9-$18 USD (AMAZON) you can get some Serious speed. SanDisk Ultra or SamSung/Lexar make a very select few that absolutely scream speed (250-400 Mbps READ/and a very close Write speed) for a very few extra dollars… Maybe/Probably faster than the 16 GB SSD in some circumstances (My cruddy ChromeBook/Boxes have hit 500+Mbps using MiniTool Partition Wizard BenchMark. The USB bus speed is very respectable as compared to PCI/SATA bus on these clunkers)

**64/128 GB= I mention 64/128 GB for two reasons, 1) you have will INTERNAL Storage for saving shows/movies. and 2)BLOAT, 64 GB stick will fill up fast to the 35-45 GB mark due to Windows updates needed by Windows for YOUR Hardware. You cannot avoid it.Stick to NECESSARY UPDATES only. …Maybe set a restore point after you are done with the setup to your satisfaction…or just relying on cloning.

** if needed.

(note #1: Pain In The A$$)

PS. You mentioned Diggz. I use Diggz Xenon w/Debrib (Real-Debrid). Hassle free. always works…
For fun…change the default skin to Artic…absolute eye candy with all the options/functions. Takes a awhile to load the first time but it is better than any layout by netflix/hulu/sling/prime etc…
Your Chrome Boxes should handle it with 4 GB Ram… takes a few minutes to load each time…but worth it to impress guests!!!

PS. Ram is available on eBay for those boxes…about $5 to upgrade to 8/16.

Wow! I wish I have just a small fraction of your wisdom & intelligence, and perhaps I would not be feeling so helpless.

Obviously, I have not done anything yet, because I am still trying to digest the 1st paragraph! :slight_smile: But because I am the kind that appreciates the help, and feel very grateful for your help. I want to prioritize thanking you 1st, then try to understand what needs to be done.

Ok, question: So, I need to leave the ram as doubled, but don’t need to add storage, correct? And the concept is to replace LibreELEC with a tiny tiny Win11 ? (Wow, that will be great. It will allow a wider range of potential use for the CN60 paperweight.)

Ok, I better pause here. So as not to jump the gun and mess things up more.

1 Like

Hi Ktoy-
Been busy paying off NFL loses. (kidding).

For Windows to be installed…Use:

1. USB a 64GB USB stick Gen 3.1 with read speed over 125MB (SAnDisk/SamSung) (Try any 3.0 if that is all you have)

2)Tiny11 22H2 NETDEV from github or the archive. That one installs the smallest footprint.
3) Use WinToUSB to load the Tiny11 .iso to the USB. There is (almost) no other way. Windows blossoms to fast to be held on the 16 GB storage on your cubes.
Win To US takes about 30 minutes to set up ON the USB stick BEFORE installing on the Cube. Cube set up time is about 10 minutes.
OR DO ThIS FOR REALLY FAST HASSLE FREE FUNCTIONALITY:

1)Android-x86.ORG website.
2)Download android-x86_64-8.1-r6-k49.iso (the others will not work)
3)Use Rufus 4.3 or 4.4 to load the iso to a usb stick. (2-3 minutes)
4)boot to that stick and install. use auto-install to specified disk (16GB of cube)
5) reboot.
6) Get Kodi installed (I prefer using a straight -x86 copy from kodi.tv but others will work if native bridge is enable in the os settings)

Now you are up and running in under 15 minutes!

I use a mouse (2.4Hz) and a keyboard (2.4) from 5 Below. Never an issue.
Use whatever you got.

If you use IPTV only IPTV Smarters will work. TIVIMATE arm libraries do not translate to -x86 (Intel) cpus.

This is the Android 8.1 version you need. ver 7.x or 9.x or any other 8.x will not work. Google Play store will ID your cube as PIXEL cell phone.
Link is fromAndroid-x86.org

The reason other version do not work is simply the CPUs used for Android.
Android was invented to use ARM cpu’s NOT Intel/AMD’s. The Native Bridge Library(s) compensate for the differences…and not well. Android 8.1 IS the last version for PC desktops. Developers in Taiwan(?) gave up a few years ago.

The cool thing about this is you get a non-intrusive grub screen that will find your Windows 11 install AFTER it is installed. If you pull the USB stick for Win11 out…there are no problems booting…it will not show up in the boot options screen.

Have fun with your Plain Jane Android setup and if you need help…message me tonight or through this weekend.

Hi, I was straining my brains trying to fully comprehend your last message. And was actually, trying to ask you for more clarification, and more specific steps - but didn’t want to over extend your generosity on trying to help with my situation. (Btw, I don’t know why my reply to your message seemed to be ended up as part of your message…??? I tried backing out a couple times, yet still the same. Will not know if it will split it back as separate messages.) I will have a lot of questions for sure. Please understand…

Sure sure…no problem.
Ask any questions…just ask .
How to, What is. Where do I get…etc
I will be around today so …hot me up for ?s

Ok, I am going to start a section at a time.(I am going to copy your instructions, then go from there…)

Per Option One
Use WinToUSB and load Windows.
( so I looked it up: WinToUSB is a tool that allows users to install Windows 11 on a removable drive, such as a USB flash drive, external hard drive, or Thunderbolt drive. It can also run fully functional Windows on these drives.
WinToUSB is free, but its free edition cannot be used for commercial purposes or within any organization.
To install Windows 11 from a USB drive, users can:
Attach the USB flash drive to the PC. Restart the PC while holding down the Shift key to boot into the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) Select to boot from the USB drive in the Windows Recovery Environment. Most USB drives with at least 8 GB of space should work for installation. If Windows 11 won’t install from the USB, users can try deleting unneeded files and uninstalling applications to resolve low disk space. )

(You will still need to go through setup)
(Windows will not install to USB sticks without this step.) Need more instructions. Can you please provide more details on “…need to go through setup”, what steps, & how to install to the USB drive… (BTW, why is it critical to have the fastest USB speed?)

I am trying to get all the requirements ready before starting to work on them.

Items:

a) the Ashampoo : It’s only free for 30 days, is that correct?

b) can you kindly send me the detailed steps to get the WinToUSB to install tiny11 to it.

and as for the Balena Etcher, which version should I download and use? (I am not understanding the reason for using the Balena Etcher. Can you please educate me a bit…)
a) ETCHER FOR WINDOWS (X86|X64) (INSTALLER)
b) ETCHER FOR WINDOWS (X86|X64) (PORTABLE)
c) ETCHER FOR WINDOWS (LEGACY 32 BIT) (X86|X64) (PORTABLE)