Can I use my own router with Cogeco?

I have a router question. I am currently with Cogeco for my internet provider. They have a modem/router combo,which isn’t very good in my opinion.
Can I use my own router with the Cogeco modem combo? I would like to get a wifi 6 router. I think it would help my wifi signal throughout my house.
Thanks for any help!

Rob

3 Likes

Thats a question for your provider.

2 Likes

They say they don’t recommend using a third party router, but I think all providers say that!
The support tech, isn’t very helpful for Cogeco either!

1 Like

Yea, most likely could be charging you rent for their equipment. I agree with you and prefer my own.

2 Likes

As Ron said you have to check with you provider. If they say they don’t recommend in my opinion that means yes you can use your own. That’s what I do and that’s what a lot of people here are doing. I use my provider modem and use my Asus router and it definitely improved my performance hands down. Just insist with them that that’s what you want to do and they should accommodate you I would think. Hope it works out for you :v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

My hubby uses a Brit box and swears by Wi-Fi extender…I’m not convinced

Hey @Clowie I’m not familiar with your ISP…but if you use your own equipment with the major ISPs in the states, they usually have an “approved modem” list…the router should be irrelevant to them as your internet service is connected thru the modem only. You will need to get a definitive yea or nay from them in order to get it provisioned & connected to the cable system. Now, with that being said…if ok then get something equivalent or better than what they’re renting to you…or, you can get their modem (only) not their gateway…& you can get your own router with wifi 6 et al. Hope that helps… :cowboy_hat_face:

Also…you can keep the gateway provided, turn off its wifi & hook up your own router to it.

1 Like

Hi, I use Cogeco Canada. It is a business connection. Not sure if it matters. I have a UDM NOT BRIDGED so yes I have the .1.1 and .0.1

1 Like

I have the only the cable modem from my internet provider. I use my own router, because I can setup better security and control access. Plus I don’t pay the extra fee for their WiFi access. The internet providers router/modem’s I’ve seen can be logged into by the customer to make limited changes. On of the changes is to turn off the providers WiFi. BUT, take note that the internet provider can turn their WiFi back on since they have complete control of the router/Modem.
Internet providers don’t like you using your own router. They will not provide help beyond the cable modem for good reason. There are too many routers and configurations for them to support everyone’s personal router.

1 Like

Yes, you can but if your using their hifi modem you dont need a router

1 Like

He stated he didn’t care for it…you have any idea what brand that CA cable company uses? In the states, most seem to use Arris…which is a good brand, IMO.

1 Like

It’s arris as well in Canada. I just think it’s old technology. I thought using wifi 6 would be better

1 Like

Copy…can you post the model # of the box?

1 Like

ARRIS - TG3452A/CG is the model #

1 Like

OK…your box modem is DOCSIS 3.1…which is current tech…your dual band wifi has all the latest tech also…minus the 6GHZ wifi. Do you have any devices that will receive a 6GHz wifi signal?

Also, if you want to get into your gateway & do some tweaking…you can type http://192.168.0.1 into any computer browser address bar…username is admin…password will be password.

1 Like

I have 2 fire stick 4K max. Which I think can use wifi 6.

2 Likes

Yep…if they are wifi 6 compatible & you can use them then there’s your reason to get a wifi 6 router. Someone posted that they use the Cogeco modem & there is no charge…if that’s the case, & you’re paying a monthly fee for your wifi gateway…then you can just turn it in (unless you have voip phone service going thru your gateway) & use one of their modems…then buy whatever router you want. BTW…your cable company cannot see your router…only your modem & its pertinent system info. :cowboy_hat_face:

This is if you are paying a monthly fee on your gateway…if you are not you can also just keep the gateway, turn off its wifi & connect your router to it.

1 Like

Just make sure Cogeco supports Wifi 6. I think @Miki mentioned that his ISPs down in Mexico don’t support that standard yet.

Update: I think my facts may be incorrect on my above statement. I’m doing some research to learn better myself about ISP compatibility, etc. I’m sorry if it caused any confusion.

1 Like

I was incorrect as well AMD. Seems Mexico is expanding their wifi 6 network but focusing it more for commercial accounts.

1 Like

You cant use a non cogeco modem, they lock their network out. I used to work in there it department.

2 Likes