Amazon To Remove Android Based Fire OS from Firestick/Fire TV

Originally published at: Amazon To Remove Android Based Fire OS from Firestick/Fire TV

Amazon looks to be replacing the Operating System on Firestick and Fire TV Devices sometime in the near future. Currently, these popular media devices run a version of Android OS called Fire OS which is also available on Fire HD Tablets. A new job listing from Amazon first observed by AFTVNews seems to confirm that…

6 Likes

Based on the way the Amazon have changed Firestick’s usefulness over the past year or so regarding 3rd party apps I think they will do this. It’s like boiling a frog… us being the frog.

4 Likes

Hello Troy,
Is there a way to shut down Amazon updates with the intention being to stop this OS update and if so would the Firestick continue to function on the Android system?
If this idea has value, how do I shut down updates?
If and when they complete this conversion, will the existing sideloaded apps remain after the conversion or be eliminated?
Advice Is Appreciated
leahcimj

5 Likes

I would be looking for other devices. Amazon is gonna be a dead duck.
Any they are doing it to themselves…No Black Friday purchases from me
I already have a box of their junk already and echo speakers too. I spent way too much money on their devices.no more

13 Likes

Yes, if Amazon did do this to the Fire TV franchise, there are plenty of other Android boxes that could take its place.

8 Likes

Hello Troy. I no longer use the Firestick at all for some time now. I switched over to the onn and then the newer google TV onn and like it so much better than he Firestick that I won’t look back. Ever. $19 and it works smoother and quicker than the Firestick. I like having the Playstore. I like sideloading apps. With 500 megabites, it works flawlessly.

7 Likes

Hello, thanks for the comment. I agree, I’m using Onn on most of my TVs except for my main TV where I still have NVIDIA SHIELD. Biggest complaint with Onn is that it doesn’t support some of the audio formats for high end systems, etc. But, there are many who don’t care about that type of stuff so this device is perfect for them.

4 Likes

IDK what Amazon will do or try to do in closing the new OS.
Thw articles that I have read indicate that the new OS will be based on Linux.

I do know that Kodi, Stremio & IPTVSmarters all work on my Linux Mint computer, so ‘jailbreaking’ may still be avalable.

That said, I’ve moved on Firesticks for, now, more than a year. I don’t see ever using one in the future.

1 Like

If fire OS is gone, so am I!

4 Likes

If this change happens I will definitely be moving away from the Amazon FireTV sticks. I will then have to do some homework on the alternative hardware devices you all have been talking about.

2 Likes

That’s one of the main reasons I got rid of all of my Amazon Fire devices. I switched to NVIDIA and have been a happy camper every since. The Amazon devices I’ve owned rarely lasted more than 2 or 3 years, if that… even the cube. Too much money for very little life span. I’m done with Amazon devices.

3 Likes

I have had numerous fire sticks over the years, presently I use the firestick 4k max as a backup to a android box which I mainly stream on , how ever if Amazon changes its format so u can’t steam anything outside of Amazon content, my firestick and countless millions of others will go in the trash.

4 Likes

Looks like I will not upgrade any new firestick until I know what their capabilities. I do not use any apps that troy does not recommend. As far as android boxes etc, I will review what troy recommends do my research to see what fits my needs and then purchase. If amazon does what you speculate they will do with Vega. I will go the Android box route and file 13 my firesticks. Thanks for your excellent advice.

5 Likes

I’ve been wanting to dump my Cube and go to the Nvidia Sheild Pro.I’ve just had a difficult time justifying the bucks since the Cube is still working ok.

But now, I’ve just read that there is speculation that the Shield Pro might be discontinued. I certainly don’t want another door stop/paper weight.

I doubt seriously if Nvidia will discontinue production any time soon. However, I doubt you will be seeing any major updates either. They will continue to support the products they have out in circulation.

Btw, I may go ahead and buy one more if there is a good Black Friday deal coming up.

Troy, would you mind pointing me towards an article you’ve written about similarly-priced products? I’d like to do a bit of comparison shopping, would be nice to know someone vouches for the products…

Sanman

4 Likes

Hello, here you go.

4 Likes

If your cube is still working OK, and assumingly doing what it needs to do for you - what are you looking to gain from getting a shield?

While Nvidia is deviated their resources to developing and producing their new Ai chips right now and sustaining their production of pc GPUs, their shield line of media devices are likely far low on their development ladder.

The good thing, historical ly, about Nvidia is that they continue to develop software updates for the shield despite being a four year old platform since it’s last refresh.

The shield pro is still a fantastic device and perceived by many as still a current day flagship of android os streamer boxes. If you have hardware the supports 4k60 hdr, dolby Atmos, dolby vision, DTSx, Plex - then shield is a great investment.

Exclusive to the shield is their Ai upscaler hardware (works great!) and it’s baked in support for cloud gaming, using their GeForce Now gaming platform.

If you’re looking to get away from the Amazon ecosystem and some of its restrictions (like custom launchers), going to a shield would not be the worst investment you’ll make by far.

I wouldn’t be worrying that the shield pro would become a door stop anytime soon - but a new model or refresh would also likely follow that same timeline.

Aside from my short personal wish list of adding 4k120 (this support would also bring about an upgrade in SoC, ram, and hdmi version), the 2019 Shield never disappoints.

1 Like

As soon as Amazon first started urinating on launcher manager functionality, I donated all my Fire TV devices to file 13, went to NV Shields and onn boxes, and never looked back, thus avoiding the grief that would have otherwise occurred. It has, however, been interesting to follow this continuing downward spiral into the abyss of uselessness.

4 Likes

If Amazon does change its operating system, do you know if I will still be able to use my current sideloaded apps or will they go away?

1 Like