Amazon To Remove Android Based Fire OS from Firestick/Fire TV

all depends on how far they go. To be honest it would be a major overhaul if they step away from .apk format and imho an epic fail on their part if they do.

There isnā€™t even any proof theyā€™ll use Vega. Been in dev for 6 years I believe. Amazon has been known to spend millions on developement only to drop the project. I do think the big draw is Linux and a much more compact and efficient OS from what I read.

1 Like

A voice of reason! Thank you so much! ā€¦but I might cave during Black Friday and get a new toy.

Knowing my luck, the day after i buy a Shield a new version will come out!

1 Like

Most households only have one high end audio system, so your setup seems perfect. For those that have their high end audio/video equipment in the family room, get a Shield Pro and use the Onn boxes for the ā€œsatelliteā€ TVs (bedroom, den, bathroom, kids room, etc).

5 Likes

Exactly Mikiā€¦
Moeover, it could very well turn out that a Linux based OS will be better for our purposes, anywayā€¦if ā€œVegaā€ devices ever do get released.

1 Like

I bought the Onn just to experiment with it and I find it sometimes kind of unstable to use. I use the Eero pro 6 mesh router and my Analiti speeds are in the mid 90ā€™s. I aslo switched from Surfshark to Express VPN so I canā€™t blame my wifi. Is there something I need to do to make it run smoother?

So whatā€™s the expectation, on whether Fire TV devices can still be jailbroke? Anyone have the update to Vega and checked? Nvidia Shield is way too expensive for my streaming needs, and I have an Onn I havenā€™t tried setting up. Just bought 2 more 4k Firesticks to set up but want to make sure they can be jailbroke.

1 Like

Unfortunately there has not been any official release from Amazon. So weā€™ll just have to wait.

1 Like

Hi Troy point,

If vega does come out will I still be able to do side loads on the Nvidia Sheild Pro?

As the Shield Pro is Android TV it has nothing to do with Amazon or the new Vega OS.

Thanks for the heads up. I just went to wal mart and bought 2 onn boxes before the
rush hits Golfnjo

Onn is also nothing to do with Amazon and I havenā€™t heard of Google looking to use a new OS.

OK, letā€™s assume that Amazon switches to Vega for the sake of argument.

How would that effect the Firesticks currently in use? Or one that you buy before the switch?

Iā€™m by no means a FS fan, but if a new 4K Max is the apple in your eye, why shouldnā€™t you buy one?

Thatā€™s a tough one to answer. I think one of the hardest things will be the need for devs to code new Vega compatible apps at the same time as updating their Fire apps. This sounds like the first couple of years of changeover are going to be pretty messy. I know if I bought a new FireOS 8 4k Max and then find out a year later that a better and more efficient OS is being installed on new Max sticks Iā€™d be ticked. Makes your head spin wondering.

How about their TVā€™s. Bezos is a bum.

I donā€™t think vega will target older generation fire hardware. The tone seems to imply that it pilot on current gen models and future ones.

1 Like

I guess what really confuses me is why release a new 2nd gen 4k Max with all new specs, improved storage and an upgrade to FireOS 8, only to announce a possible new OS for the sticks? Sounds pretty fishy to me. The blowback could be quite a financial hit. But Iā€™m just a member of the lowly public, what do I know.

Some of the eco devices have already got it built-in. Read it on twitter.

Yes they do. No actual info release from Amazon regarding this. Done on the sly. We just have to wait to see where this goes.