Amazon Firestick Update - Full Screen Ads

Full screen adverts being pushed by Amazon in upcoming updates. Seems to be no way to turn feature off. Reference attached video by Tech Doctor.

5 Likes

There is always ONE way.

Ditch the Stick!
Bezos Devil Bat - Made with Clipchamp

Seriously, though, if you use Tivimate, you can always set Tivimate to open on startup and bypass the entire FS home screen experience.

5 Likes

Morning @Powerfader,

Lol, I’m pretty good at programming my firestick. I got it setup to my liking. I will stay with my firestick until it stops working. However, I did purchase an ONN box yerterday. I’m thinking about trying out Kodi again.

I use IPTV Smarters Pro. Someone gifted me a free IPTV service. They guided me through the setup.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

4 Likes

Gotta say A+ for the gif. :+1:t2:

The vid states even my Shields will get the full screen ads when the v9.1.2 is installed. I can turn off video previews in the Home Screen settings for now, but don’t know if the update will continue to allow that.

I got fed up with all the intrusions and just bypass all of them using the feature in Tivimate to open when I turn on my TV. Now when I get up in the morning click the power button on my remote. My TV and soundbar turn on and display whatever channel I last viewed automatically bypassing the entire Shield Home page.

I wish Tivimate would add a feature where I could select a default channel to open to instead of last channel viewed. Right now, I try to remember to go to my favorite cable news program and then turn off the TV.

I do have the Wolf and Projectivy Launchers but rarely ever use them. Tht was a creative phase for me and I really don’t surf the Shield UI all that much. After all, the ultimate objective is watching programs and 90% of what I view is in Tivimate. The other 10% is when I use Stremio or Syncler+ and even those (or any other app) I can access while still viewing a program in Tivimate without going to my apps page or home page and can even exit those apps and return directly to Tivimate once again bypassing the Home Page in its entirety.

1 Like

I do the exact same thing, well almost. I turn my system on first thing in the morning and it opens directly to my TiVimate, but just the playlist not a channel.

1 Like

Buzz, Formuler, Ugoos all looking better now. :confused:

Hmm!..and my thinking on getting the Shield Pro, that I was going to get away from the over-lording of Amazon. So it appears that Nvidia is not above that.

I’ve been able to by-pass this issue on my cube by just hitting the down arrow. So I didn’t know that there was a video attached to this.

Both Amazon and Android /Google TV os are at it.

Only Formuler Z boxes, I have set up without entering an account but I guess the GTV might need a google account during setup as that is based on Android TV os

Yep, I’ve been immediately hittinng down arrow as well. But, must do it within seconds or ad will play. I haven’t seen the advert yet and hoping I won’t have that experience

2 Likes

I think the full page ads are running because of the stock launchers. So running Wolf launcher or a different custom launcher in place of the stock Shield launcher should take care of that. Not really possible to replace the stock launcher on a Firestick/Cube though. You can run one after boot with a manual start, but not replace like on the Shield.

Pretty odd. I have a shield Pro and if I pause on the home screen I have a row of apps at the top, with a movie suggestion above and 2 big grey boxs below, one for customize your screen and the other for send feedback. No ads unless you mean the 2 movie suggestions that swap in and out every few second at the top. No full page here.

I think we will see that with the v9.1.2 update. That is unless we put off the update.

2 Likes

I was watching a youtube on going with a Wolf lancher but was waiting until I get more familiar with the Shield. I will probably do a post fairly soon, here on the Advisor, to see what the consensus is for this.

1 Like

Reminds me that big ass surfshark I get on my tablet! LOL

Here’s the latest regarding the rollout of full screen ads on the Firsticks.
Apparently, though, this can be turned off through the system settings by disabling “autoplay” and personalized ads.
so there ya have it. Not a biggy.

6 Likes

Yeah but the word personalized ads is the problem. There’s no button that says no ads at all. They’re
going to send you ads rather like it or not. I’ve tried that several times.

2 Likes

As always, thank you Miki! I will get this done once I get everything set up the way I like it on the Shield.

1 Like

Ditto, ads were just half screen. But, I just started getting the full screen ad. Click home button and it goes away

1 Like