2019 Nvidia Pro P2897 Ver. 11--VS. FireCube

I’ve read all the posts on NV Pro W/ android 11 and it seem like it’s a real disappointment.
I thought it would be an upgrade from the Fire Cube (Kodi Xenon 19.4 on the Cube and 19.5 on the Nvid.)

The upscaling is nice for Plex playback, but the Nvid pro won’t reliably stream live at all, or even playback existing content. I’m about ready to eBay it.

Does anyone know how to get it to stream live content reliably? TIA, Mike

Your post does not make sense. What are you asking and why did you make it Firecube vs shield? The shield works amazingly well, mind telling us what your issue is? Dont get the firecube if you have the shield. Sounds like you are using live tv from kodi… that has nothing to do with the device you have, its been said here a million times dont use kodi for iptv its freely maintained and has issues.

1 Like

TP,
I have an NVDIA Shield that I bought probably 5 or 6 years ago. I can’t even read a date on it.
I"ve been having problems with all three of my firesticks 4K’s. I didn’t keep using the Nvidia Shield early on because i couldn’t speak into it to bring up a movie in Cinema. Now that I have to type in the name of movies I figured I should set up the Nvidia Shield vs buying more Firesticks. Can you tell me where to go to get the information on how to add the APPs to the Nvidia Shield. It still has Cinema on it, but it will not pull up any movies, so it’s out of date. I think I used the Troypoint App originally but he’s discontinued that. Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
thanks
LVJ

Troypoint.com, use the search. Or use our search here.

When encountering buffering please take a look here, lots of info.

Please review this for all firestick issues and guides, if the following hasn’t worked feel free to ask.

This should resolve most to all issues.

Take a look here for the best recommend aps with real debrid setup.

We have topics on everything.

Ok,
I apologize if my title sounds like I’m doing a review or grudge match or whatever. What I’m trying to say is that Addons that are in general use for live TV, are stable with Kodi on the FireCube, while the very same Addons simply “drop out” after a few seconds or minutes on the Nvidia Shield Pro.
Same VPN, same location, same LAN cable, Same HDMI to same TV.–tried them one at a time on same and different HDMI ports, as well as both connected–No difference. Even tried the Shield on a separate TV.
Just now ran OOkla on the Shield and the numbers are:
Ping 14ms
DL::68.67Mbps
UP: 35.06Mbps

Now on to the cube;
Ping: 33ms
DL: 56.94Mbps
UP: 38.44Mbps
Both connecting to the same server in Hudson NY. which is ~50 miles away.

So here’s my question; I’ve read all the guides, tried endless tweaks, and yet the FireCube will STAY connected and play several Sports and News channels, including the International version based in “Atlanta”, while the Shield Pro will stay connected for about 4 or 5 minutes on average, maybe 15 minutes max.Same with ANY content accessed via Real-Debrid, “Source Select” or not.
Doesn’t matter what time of day or day of the week.
I also have a Mecool KM6. It worked great until it sadly died.
And a KM2. It works fine once the remote finally allows you to pick something rather than endlessly ripping through a single click as if the dog had it’s paw on the remote. NOT a workable situation.
Also have the same Xenon build on an old Toshiba laptop and IT works fine as well!
The Cube stayed connected to an International sports feed from Bahrain this morning, The entire program start to finish, no buffering. The Shield wouldn’t even connect to the Pre-Show for more than a few seconds before freezing and dropping out or going “Grey Screen” or going back to the Nvidia app screen (Kicked out of Kodi)
I’ve read plenty about rolling back earlier Shields due to Android 11 issues, but the one I got came with 11. I don’t even know if that option exists, and while I’ve flashed DD-WRT to plenty of routers, I’ve had one “brick” on me–I don’t think it was my error, but I didn’t have the surveillance camera on either, so who knows… Not something I really feel like trying on the Shield even if it’s doable.

If nobody knows what ails the latest Shield Pro, fine-so be it. I’ve setup Firesticks for others and they outperformed the Shield! I don’t tknow what else to say, it just seems like the Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 version I have just doesn’t work with Kodi–and yes, I’ve tried 20, as well as 19.5, and 19.3 and 19.4 before that. Tried various Repos, all with the same result. BUT, if someone running a 2019 Shield Pro knows something that isn’t in the archives, I’d love to know. And if not,
Sorry that I wasted everyone’s time.
Regards, Mike

EDIT: Just to be clear, I’m using live content as an example. I had the Fire Cube for a while, and picked up the Shield later, when my KM6 quit. If I really want to watch live TV I use my desktop and cast it to my TV if I want.(I had live streams on both this morning).
The real issue I’m trying to address is that the Shield Pro doesn’t seem to work with ANY Kodi version in any reasonable way–like watching a movie using Real-Debrid on any of a few popular Addons. Identical Addons, VPN and Real-Debrid account play perfectly on the Cube.
This is NOT about live streaming, it’s about Kodi on Shield Pro. Perhaps I should just throw it in the recycle bin. It was $180, but I spend that twice a week in gas, so it’s not gonna break my heart to pitch it.
Thanks again and sorry for not being clear in my 1st post.

1 Like

Assuming you have factory reset the Shield? It is always possible you have a faulty box, in which case I would be sure and contact Nvidia. Kodi works fine on mine and mostly everyone else’s Shield, so something must be odd with yours. However, keep free, live tv out of the symptoms for diagnosis. If it is happening on other apps and the VOD on Kodi, then there could be an issue with it. Rare, but that kind of thing happens.

1 Like

Factory Reset

I have the 2015, 2017, and the 2019 Nvidia Shield Pros. I even have the Tube, which I haven’t used in over a year. They all work fantastic as the day I got them. I don’t use Kodi because I don’t need it.

You say your Shield is about 6 years old and you haven’t used it for a long time. So, my suggestion is to do a complete factory reset and let it update the software to the current build.

You also state that you cannot “speak into it”. I have and use Google Assistant almost everyday on all my devices and it works fine.

As far as adding apps just go to the Play Store and download what you want or use one of those 3rd party stores. TP has his Toolbox with several apps for downloading.

Bottom line, Factory Reset your Nvidia. If that doesn’t fix it. Then most likely you have a dead device.

2 Likes

Mine IS the newest “2019” model. Google Assistant works on the remote and I’ve done the factory reset every time I’ve loaded Kodi, which is 4 times now. It just won’t run Kodi with even a single addon without crashing.
So yeah, probably a dud. Since it is a current model, I just had a “lightbulb” idea–I can always swing by BestBuy and buy another one to “test” that theory…
Sorry for using the “live TV” as lead-in to this convo, I Do know the difference, It was just the most glaring example of the speed with which it would crash.
But like I said, it won’t even find/play the most common content with any number of Kodi Addons using Real-Debrid, without crashing in one of several ways while the Cube has worked for a few years with no issues.
The odd thing is that the Shield Will play Plex content all day long, it just won’t work with Kodi of any flavor from 19.3 on…
Thanks for the replies, pretty sure it’s trade in time.

Yeah, if your Shield is 6 years old and has been inactive for a long period of time. Then most likely humidity got to it from being idle for a long time.

Most likely you killed it, and it will need to be replaced.

Good luck!

OK, so you’re responding to “Luther1111”, not me.

Sorry I didn’t pick up on that before responding, Regards Mike

Yeah Thanks.
I’m thinking it’s a dud. It won’t run anything on Kodi, but like I mentioned in my “other” response, since it’s a current model, there’s always BestBuy!
Thanks again for the response, Mike

@WPOD You have tried to the factory reset and no change, right? I hate to give up on it, but at some point Nvidia needs to make it right with you if it truly is a dud out of the box. If that’s the case, don’t let it ruin your Shield experience for the future. This box is the best for a reason.

1 Like

Sorry, I thought that was you. Getting confused who is asking for what. lol

Definitely, go to your local BestBuy and trade it in. I try to always buy my electronics at a big box store for this very reason. Makes it easy to return and swap out. Besides, they’ll do price matching anyway.

@AMD237
Yup, factory reset every time. What doesn’t make sense to me is that Plex works fine but not a single Kodi Addon or build does.
As Powerfader observed, BestBuy will settle the issue one way or another. I actually got a Bad Netgear DOCSIS 3 Modem there a while back, and they just took it back and threw it in a trash bin. So maybe I’m that 1 in a million that got a buggy box…C’est La Vie.

Sorry, late to the game here and coffee not to adequate levels but did you 1- turn off play protect? 2- enable unknown sources? 3-Check all permissions are given? Reason I ask after just skimming over this thread ive failed to see mention of it. The shield could very well be faulty however unlike other boxes its also one of the most complex with many more options under the hood. Before ditching the box I would factory reset and before any installs I would tweak settings to the max. Then install essientials(xplore as an example). Set all permissions for each app installed before kodi is installed. Then proceed with kodi in same manner. Do it right first time to assure all is well. Just my 2 cents here. Personally I think its a permissions issue.

1 Like

Untitled video (2)

1 Like

So every other app, Plex, etc works just fine?

@TXRon I’ll go thru it one more time tonight, but the behavior is just plain weird. I can get Kodi loaded with, for example, a Xenon build, or just a single Addon. Then load Real-Debrid and Trakt for one, or a few Addons. Then find readily available RD content to play. Usually it will crash in 5-30 minutes. And then once in a while it will play a full length movie…At first when I was observing this behavior, a forced reboot would improve, if not fix the issue.
I pretty much compiled all instructions and videos, and I’ve done the factory reset 4 times now. A buddy of mine has one, and while he’s in another state now, I ran through the whole deal with him on FaceTime. He said I did everything right, and I’ve never known him to be wrong–he really can’t afford to be, he’s a contract Admin for PeopleSoft for several companies and actually was the primary admin for the city of Boston for 3 or 4 years back 2005ish before he was “off-shored”.
Anyway, he knows how to setup a shield with his eyes closed so I’m betting I’ve got a dud.
As I mentioned earlier, if keeps acting flaky after another reload, it’s getting “BestBuyed”.

1 Like

@AMD237 Yeah. Plays just fine from my 918+ or from Pluto or whatever, just not Kodi. At least not for any amount of time. Maybe 30 minutes of good playback, then crash.You’d think it would either work or it wouldn’t, Right?