YouTube Looks to Crack Down on Ad-Free 3rd Party Apps

Originally published at: YouTube Looks to Crack Down on Ad-Free 3rd Party Apps

YouTube will continue its “enforcement” of ad-blocking techniques that allow users to watch their favorite videos and more without interruptions. This time, the company plans to clamp down on 3rd party applications that provide a YouTube experience but without the annoying advertisements we are used to seeing on the official platform. In an announcement made…

2 Likes

I just started using an ad blocker that ProtonVPN integrated into their options and I’ve noticed many sites blocking me from using them with a popup stating they see I have an ad blocker and asking me to turn it off to support the site. So looks like a lot of sites and apps are blocking the blockers. :joy: Thanks, as always, for looking out for your fan base Troy.

3 Likes

Hey Miki just an FYI I use Adguard and Adblock and not having any problems with any blocking with YouTube or elsewhere. Just thought I’d let you know. I use Youtube every day.

1 Like

Brave browser still as smooth as ever so whatever they’re doing is failing and for the phone one option I don’t think they will ever stop is new pipe app think that will always be an ad free mobile app option even if all the other ways go away.

Tx @MarkxG for the info. I never use youtube. Anywhere I can it, and netflix, are disabled.

2 Likes

I use YouTube on my computer for how to fix cars and things around the house. I have a lot of problems with ad s on websites that will not allow me to use my ad blocker more than youtube. Course my ad blocker doesn’t work on YouTube. I have Adblock real good for websites but not too good on YouTube for what I got. You got to remember guys this is how they make their money just like the ads you see on any other forums or websites.

A few Months ago I had problems with my Adblocker not working on YouTube on my PC with Chrome Browser. I was using Adblock. I then Added Adguard as well and now with both of them turned on I no longer see any ads or the popups saying “using an adblocker will prevent you from seeing videos” I use youtube every day. Try adding Adguard

1 Like

Smarttube had an update yesterday. I wonder if this is why?

Does YT know i am using ST if i logged into my YT account with ST?

1 Like

I watched some stuff on Smarttube last night and didn’t have any issues. I think that I noticed that there was an update available but I haven’t updated yet. I might just hold off on the update.

On the Onn device that had it already it plays fine, and I did update the app. But earlier this month when setting up a new Onn device, playprotect I think keeps blocking the install. I haven’t retried with the latest update since yesterday…

Smart Tube is still working on my Shield TV at least for now.

I had a real issue with ST 2wks ago - it just stopped playing all videos, just got a black screen and the ‘loading’ screen. I thought maybe YT had finally got around to disabling it somehow. The recent update seems to have fixed it though.

I have been using smarttube for months. No issues with buffering or no content. I use all the adblockers I can find as well as Surfshark VPN Cleanweb turned on.