Xvid codec side load or kodi

how do I add xvid codec to kodi either side load or thru kodi

Hi @barry728. I’m kinda confused here. My understanding of the Xvid codec is that it is a video converter to turn a lossless format such as raw or jpeg to a lossy format like Mp4. In audio FLAC files are a lossless format wereas Mp3 strips away fine detail that the average listener wouldn’t notice, It’s a lossy format.

Xvid creates portable files from a lossless format and compresses them, stripping away fine detail for a smaller file size. It makes files smaller so that they can be moved over a network or stored on disk or used on portable players or home systems because the files are smaller and compact so the file is not very large instead of many megabytes. Lossless formats are not usually used because of their large size and Xvid does for video what Mp3 does to audio. Strip out detail and make it portable for the user.

That said. What does that have to do with Kodi? Kodi is an APK that needs add-ons to function properly to show content. You want to sideload Xvid codec as an add-onn inside Kodi? Why? I’m not giving you a hard time, believe me. We are cool. Like I said in the beginning, I’m confused. Please post again and explain to me what you are trying to do and I will be glad to help you do it. Okay? Friends? Cool. Be good my man. Peace.

when I click on a movie it will load and on the screen it say’s xvid codec needed to view, then it shows a web site to go to, thank you for the response but that’s all I am trying to do is just watch the movie, thank’s again

See @barry728, if you had just said that at first, I wouldn’t have written a book explaining what the Xvid codec is. JUST JOKING man. We’re good. Listen, do this:

1. Go to the Google Play store and download the Xvid codec.
  2. Go to settings and select VLC as you media player.
    When you go to watch a movie requiring the Xvid codec, the VLC Media Player will call the Xvid codec and show you the movie. You don’t have to do anything special. Hope this is what you are looking for. Enjoy the movie!
1 Like

thank you for taking the time to look it up,i will try that today and hopefully it should work

1 Like

The instructions I gave for using Xvid codec through VLC player were only for standalone APKs like CinemaHD or Cyberflix. If I were you, I would try to find the movie you are trying to play in a standalone APK, not Kodi.
If you truly need to change the player in Kodi, it is complicated and many people give up after a while. Some programming experience would help here. I tried it and it is a bit tricky to get it right and unforgiving if you get it wrong. You could be greatly disappointed and if you fail as it takes some doing.

If that didn’t scare you, then here goes @barry728. Basically you have to change an XML file in a particular folder to change Kodi’s default player. Still with me. Well instead of writing a long tutorial, I opted to send you a link that explains How To Change The Default Player In Kodi. My advice, find the movie in a standalone APK as changing players only requires you to go into Settings.Again, if you want to learn to edit an XML file for the first time, follow the instructions in this link. There is text and there are three videos on how to do it. here:
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=How+to+change+Kodi+player

Or you can just do a Google search of your own on How to change the default Kodi player. Good luck and let me know what you did after it works.
Thanks!

1 Like