Wi-Fi fluctuating and dropping

Hi,

Wonder if anyone has any solutions or thoughts.
I have recently been having trouble with my wi-fi. I use Analiti to check speeds and during the day it will be around 48Mbps but come early evening it is going down to 2Mbps.
I’ve contacted BT who sent an engineer to say the problem wasn’t at my end but in fairness all he did was check I had an ADSL filter which I do.
Yesterday they said they would change my internet channel but it didn’t make any difference.

My hub is in the hallway and my TV and firestick is about 10 yards away in another room.

Would a booster help?

I will be waiting another couple of days and get BT to send another engineer but trying to find some sort of solution first.

1 Like

@Silverhoop

There could be alot of reasons.

The frist thing id do is test on a hardwired connection bypassing any router. Connect straight to the modem to a device do speeds tests, if its stull fluctuating by then after you turned off all vpn activity you need to call your isp.

If everything working great hardwired direct to the modem its your router.

Changing the channel works but if your wifi router is the problem that wont make a difference. If your hardwired connection is having issues direct to the hub/modem its problably issues at the node or split cables.

1 Like

Your modem/router may be at fault however it could be the number of devices connected / being used at the same time. Could also be that your ISP shares your bandwidth with others. My WIFI issues were resolved when I added WIFI mesh system to my home. Problems disappeared. And not this is not an extender as in a single unit, but multiple units that make a “mesh”. I use the EERO and there are many (other) options available. Ask your ISP if they offer a “whole home” system, or research Mesh WIFI.

3 Likes

Yea, bandwidth allocation what @Wilts mentioned above is a common issues. Some routers and modems cant handle to many devices.

1 Like

@Silverhoop

Hi welcome back.
If above actions don’t help you can try TP manual
few tricks scroll down to how to disconnect then reconnect also it may help.
FireStick WiFi Disconnect Reconnect

1 Like

Hey @Silverhoop I’m guessing by BT & an ADSL filter you have phone DSL from across the pond…& you have a single box gateway? (modem/wifi router) I’m not as learned with DSL as I am with cable internet/equipment…and yes, due to more traffic in the evening your speeds will drop a bit…but, from 48 down to 2!!! No…that’s not normal at all, IMO…unless a dozen people are tapping into your bandwidth at night watching movies. And no, I don’t believe a booster would help you…I believe your problem is signal degradation to your gateway or the box itself…I don’t believe any interference would degrade your signal, it would just scramble the wifi reception. Your tech should have a meter to check signal in…signal out & numerous other technical stuff involved with troubleshooting your problem. At the least, he should try a new box to see if that is the culprit. GL2U :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

WiFi Analyzer is one of my favorite tools. Shows me everything I need to see what my WiFi is doing and on what channels as well as other networks that may be causing interference.

1 Like

Copy that Mik…that is a good tool for figuring out where the “black holes” are & the sunny wifi is shining in a home/apt bldg network, especially for your situation…but I fear what our friend Silverhoop is going thru is at the source of the wifi itself…& when I used to troubleshoot service problems & couldn’t figure out the problem immediately, the ole box swap-a-roo was the 1st thing we all did. And…just like pulling power & resetting equipment or streaming devices…that usually solved 80% or more of the trouble call problems.

3 Likes

It may be because usage at night is higher as everyone is home and doing their internet stuff so that would affect how much bandwidth is available to everyone. Just guessing though.

1 Like

After using Wi-Fi for over 7 years I finally bit the bullet this year and changed to hard wired CAT 7 high speed LAN cables to both of my streaming devices. What a difference! While I wasn’t getting too much buffering on my Wi-Fi, it was still enough to be annoying when it occurred. My internet speeds are now 50% higher using my vpn with LAN connections and I have zero buffering or freeze ups. LAN connections are also more secure than Wi-Fi and offer more separation of bandwidth when you have multiple devices using your Wi-Fi. If there is a way you can do it without major hassles, consider running LAN cables from your modem to your streaming devices. If your modem only has 1 LAN port, get a LAN splitter. They are inexpensive and allow you to still hook up your Wi-Fi router to your modem for uses other than streaming.

1 Like

or get a wifi6 router and wifi6 box. Makes a big difference.

2 Likes

DSL options are pretty limited…at the percentage he’s losing signal at nite…he’d need a 1Gig service to net him 40Mbps at nite :astonished: :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

From my understanding the BT Smart Hub 2 (if that’s what you are using) doesn’t have the option to split the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands so the Firestick could be falling back to the 2.4GHz band although as stated from 48mb to 2mb is a bit extreme. To be honest you’re always better using a third party router for better wi-fi and all round stability.
If you have FTTC get an ADSL router, something like Asus, Netgear or TP Link around the £100-£180 mark and don’t cheap out, and set it up as
WAN Connection Type: PPPOE
Username: bthomehome@btbroadband.com
Password: BT
If it FTTH just get a cable router with WAN connection and plug an Ethernet cable straight into the Openreach ONT box and the other end into the WAN connection on the router and set up using the above details. You’ll find using your own router will be more stable, BT’s home hubs are crap and very unstable. I’m getting BT Full Fibre 900 installed next Wednesday and as soon as the engineer leaves I’ll be plugging in my Asus router into the ONT and the BT Smart Hub will be packed away for diagnostics if I ever have a line fault in the future as BT will insist it’s connected during fault finding. I’m currently with Virgin and even their Hubs are crap as well and I use their useless Hub 4 in modem mode and use my own routers but at the minute they have a nationwide network problem and won’t admit fault which is way I’m moving to BT, well that and better customer service and double the upload speed, oh and cheaper…lol :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Think your right. Years ago when I was with talktalk that’s what I did and I remember my signal got better. I just blindly trusted BT to give me the best option available but I suppose I am being naive.
I’ll start looking for a new router.

Might not be your problem mate, but my guess that’s what it is as those hub’s are really unstable units, always best using your own kit :+1:

1 Like