Why do folks use KODI?

So what am I (we) missing by not using Kodi?? With all the available stand alone apk’s that provide pretty much anything you want to watch, along with iptv services providing Live entertainment when desired, why use Kodi which seems to me so cumbersome to use to access those same services… Anyone?

3 Likes

Good question. About the only reason would be that the remaining kodi builds usually make an effort to provide updates to their apps within their builds, in addition to providing a good assortment of apps within their builds. Beyond that , kodi really has become outdated due to so many stand alone apk downloads of most popular apps and services.

6 Likes

Personally, I am fed up with Kodi. I exclusively use APKs and am very happy with them.

5 Likes

What are you missing? Nothing…Kodi I believe had its use at one time, but as stated by dnoson with all the available IPTV and easy to use stand alone apps its days are over. Would be interested to hear from Kodi supporters as maybe the majority of former users are missing something here.

1 Like

I agree with the comment here. However, I still use Kodi on Windows machines as I don’t know of any stand alones like APK.

2 Likes

100 percent about Kodi. Have not used it in months

1 Like

Our team was just talking about that this morning. I agree with all of you. Here is what we came up with. People don’t like change. They have been using Kodi for a long time and don’t want to try something else. Or, they are using a device that Android apps won’t work on.

5 Likes

I use BlueStacks that emulates an Android environment in a Windows PC. Then you can download Troypoint App installer and download apks . It takes a while to start but then you can play TeaTv, Cinema, UnlockmyTV or Mobdro with your mouse. https://www.bluestacks.com

2 Likes

The only thing I found on Kodi that I haven’t seen on my APKs is the ability to play music on my TV for background. I have an Amazon Alexa but not a prime account so I cannot specify which song or songs to play. However, I can do this in Kodi (which I really don’t do too often though.)

I also have the emulator (bluestacks) on my PC but don’t use it for tv items. Maybe I’ll explore just to see how it works…Maybe Troy’s group is up for the investigation as well?? ;))

1 Like

I’ve posted previously that I still use kodi and keep a copy on all my fire devices. I agree with all comments regarding the ease of use and increasing reliability of APKs. I mostly use UnlockMyTV and Cinema, Cyberflix to a lesser extent. I use Kodi when:
…I have issues with APK subtitles.
…I have audio issues with APKs (I’m hearing impaired).
…I can’t find a movie/tv program (very often I will find it on kodi).
…My usually reliable APKs get buggy.

I like being able to tinker with the settings in kodi. I get that many folks just want to get something streaming ASAP with minimal settings adjustments.

Kodi has been around for quite some time. Many of the currently popular APKs have not. Like all cord cutters, I’m concerned about ongoing legal challenges to streaming in general. I can’t have too many streaming options in my personal library.

I know lots of people who use kodi religiously, people not affiliated with this forum. It’s true that some are reluctant to use unfamiliar APKs, but there are also those who’ve tried APKs and just simply prefer using kodi.

I’m watching a tv program on kodi as I type this. Perfect picture, excellent sound, and real debrid gave me 167 links to choose from. For me, kodi has lots of value.

7 Likes

If you haven’t used Kodi in awhile you might be surprised with using the newer builds.

1 Like

I have an Amazon Alexa but no prime account and I specify my songs by specifying
the name of the song but request it be played by Iheart radio. Works for me.

I finally uninstalled Kodi after no use for months and voila! I have more free space on my Fire TV

2 Likes

So Firestick to Shield convert here. I used standalone APK’s but with the Shield 2019 (first time using Shield) I decided to explore all it has to offer. Loaded Gaia build with RD and I really like how you can structure “good” streams as well as play only streams that are cached so no buffering or delays. Still re-familarizing myself with Kodi (still complicated) however I am impressed - so far. May have a different experience when I load it on our remaining Firestick’s but so far I am impressed.

You may want to try the Memu android emulator as well and compare it with Blue Stacks. Works well on PC and a bit smoother on the installation.

Newer Builds…such as???

1 Like

Go to kodiapps.com and download a build or 2. Play around. It is much better than in the past IMO.
I also use it as a backup to my main IPTV.

2 Likes

@rboswell79 Ryan on our team does a great job of keeping our Best Kodi Builds page up to date - 53 Best Kodi Builds With No Buffering - Updated DAILY [September 2021]

1 Like

Thanks for the thorough and complete info. I will try XANAX, being that it has been rated so high. If I am not happy with it, I will go down, one at a time, until I find the right build.

1 Like