When Should You Upgrade Your TV?

When Should You Upgrade Your TV? – Review Geek

Another option for upgrading not mentioned here is Sony OLED for those considering an upgrade of their TV. The picture quality rivals LG and better yet, Sony has the Android TV O/S, which allows you to side load most, if not all your favorite apps without having to use a streaming box. Most of these sets have 4 HDMI inputs and have screen size selection up to 83 inches.

2 Likes

When your wife is out of town?

4 Likes

That’s my vote!!!

1 Like

Today I just bought a brand new Samsung 43 TV for the bedroom. The old Samsung 43 TV lasts about 6 or 7 years and went to poop. My Sony Bravada I’ve had it for over 10 years now perfect screen. The difference I saw on the new Samsung versus the old one is the old remote had all the buttons on it this new remote on the new TV look like a damn fire stick.

Kind of wonder how the memory and processor in the tv rivals what you’d have in a decent box.

Nowhere near as good. So far. But improving with new tech all the time.

1 Like

I’d wager most android TV operating systems don’t have as much RAM and internal memory as a tv box with decent specs. The thing you need to take into account is how many apps you are looking to load and if the TV o/s can handle it. From what I’ve seen on line, Sony TV’s have a bit under 2 gigs of RAM and 16 Gigs of internal memory. My son has a Sony Bravia set and we were able to load our vpn, downloader, a system cleaner and an unverified IPTV app on top of all the preloaded Android TV apps and his premium subscription apps with no problems. Everything works great without any glitches.

1 Like

I remember reading an article in the past that LG makes a lot flat screens for many different brands. So if you buy a Sony, the screen would have been made by LG. The only difference is the companies install their own electronics thus making each one a different quality. That was a year or so ago and since then things might have changed. Kinda like buying a Ford truck only to find out Chevy makes the engine

I’ve got nothing against LG. In fact, I own 2 of them, both with curved screens and 3d capable. One is actually an 8 year old 1080p Oled and has a great picture, even with the lower resolution. However, LG uses something called WebOS, which severely restricts what apps you can download, while Sony uses google and Android TV o/s, which gives you a lot more flexibility to download open source apps, including other streaming services. I purchased android boxes to overcome these limitations with LG. My one caviar here is no smart tv’s operating system will give you the RAM or internal memory that you will get from a separate android box. So if you like downloading a lot of apps to use, better get a separate streaming box.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.