Whats the best vpn and why

so there are loads of vpns listed including free and paid for but which is really the best.is it necessary to pay for one or would a free one do just as well.does a paid one help with buffering. its confusing because there are so many options.if anyone can answer this and give me a good reason for purchasing one ill be grateful.cheers

The best VPN is the one that works best for you. Troy gives suggestions based on features, performance, etc, but really it is up to each of us to make sure whatever VPN and all software really, works the best on our devices and network. Some people think NordVPN is the best…it may be great, but didn’t work well for me. Same with IPVanish…this was and still is the go-to VPN of many. It didn’t work that well for me. Surfshark works the best for me. It has the most features, it runs the fastest on my network, and I am very happy with it. But I have tried numerous VPNs to know that this is the one for me. I suggest utilizing the VPNs that give your money back before 30 days, that way if it doesn’t work well, you can get your money back and move on.

What is a VPN? Best Uses for Virtual Private Network (2023) (troypoint.com)

2 Likes

Its best to pick several, read reviews, get opinions and then do a trial test on whichever you think. We all have different metrics that make up what works best for us. What works great for me might not suit your location as well. Here you are going for personal reviews and I will throw my choice and tell you Surfshark. Ive been with them since they started and always have treated me right with great technical service and they pretty much run specials year round. I am paid up through 2027 so that should show my trust. Others will have the same to say about a rival service and its all good. But do a trial test, get it set up correct before passing judgment and have fun.

2 Likes

I use torguard because of everything I tested I get best speed and ping from them when using closest server. Please keep in mind that’s for me, I can’t promise that will be the case for you

1 Like

There is no best. Just read our reviews on them and pick one.

Mask your ip
Encrypted internet traffic

Those are what you want.

1 Like

I have tried many and agree with everyone here. SurfShark for me was an epic mess, IPV was ok, Express gave good speed but a tad more expensive. Cyberghost was good but limited locations, I settled on Proton but although good has a bad GUI on streaming devices, and the list goes on. They all do their basic jobs well. Read up on their reviews and audits, then as suggested, get a trial.
Have fun and STREAM ON!

1 Like

The one that works best for the individual.

1 Like

That’s the acid test. So many to choose from.

3 Likes

thanks for the advice

In addition to the other recommended vpns on this thread, I would add Express VPN, an excellent premium service. A word of caution…avoid free vpn services. They are not as secure and many have ads

2 Likes

Great call @sim_bill. ExpressVPN is fantastic. If Surfshark didn’t knock my socks off, I would still have Express. They are a little more expensive than most VPNs, but worth it unless you have one that works better for you. I second the free VPN statement too. Free always sounds great, but in my experience, there is usually a reason it is free.

1 Like

Except ProtonVPN free. It’s the only good one I found, but the servers are limited and fill up quickly.

1 Like

That is true, but they also have a paid version that is very good. I have Proton Mail, I know they are a reputable company. I just can’t get myself to trust free VPNs. At least not for streaming. For everyday web browsing I’m sure the Free is fine, but I think still has ads, right?
Proton VPN Free Review | Is It Still Safe & Trustworthy in 2023? (top10vpn.com)

I use ss but it’s not without its problems. It’s the best one I’ve used however every now and then it’ll lock my system up I can’t get no downloads I have to force stop ss clear the cache and start it back up and work it until it keeps working otherwise I’m happy with it.

The paid version is excellent but not for FireTV yet. Installed on a Firestick you do not have any access to options. So there aren’t any ads I’ve ever seen, but I use the paid version. Trouble was they never advertised to or notified anyone on these limitations.

1 Like

Proton free works very well for me, however as pointed out by others, server choices are limited. Speed is actually typically higher than my Nord VPN.

2 Likes

Most reviews and experts recommend against streaming and torrenting using the Free version. If you are doing basic, more verified streaming and just want to stay anonymous, the Free Proton could be the perfect option. Those who want to dive into more of the torrenting world and heavy streaming, I still recommend a premium VPN.

1 Like

I use Proton, what is a bad GUI?

1 Like

Graphic User Interface. On FireTV you can’t get at any options to change them.

1 Like

Very true …it 's what works for you. I tried Nord and IPvanish…did not work for me…
I’ve been using Cyberghost for the past 5 yrs…bought a lifetime sub…and I have Surfshark…both works for me …it’s hit and miss. See what works for you…