What does ‘Best VPN’ mean?

I see that now Troypoint is recommending Surfshark there have been some posts from folk who have experienced some difficulty with it. It was the same when IPVanish was the preferred choice. I think what this is exposing is the difference between technical specification and practical utility.
For some years I used ExpressVPN very satisfactorily until I found one year when visiting the US that one of my U.K. TV apps (Channel 5) no longer worked. This was never solved despite lengthy discussions with their support.
At the end of my contract I tried Surfshark as this was getting good reviews, but Channel 4 would not work so I abandoned that.
I then tried NordVPN because it has obfuscated servers but I have never needed to use them as everything works OK for me using the standard ones.
Am I suggesting that folk switch to NordVPN? No. What I am saying is that in my experience any given VPN may or may not work for you, depending where you are and what apps you want to use. The technical analysis available on Troypoint is extremely valuable but in my view is only a starting point. Try a VPN for a trial period and test it against everything you want to use it with and then try another if you have problems, because it doesn’t matter how good the technical spec is if it doesn’t work for you.

5 Likes

The Best VPN is the one that works for you.

9 Likes

They all do the same thing, encrypt your data.

1 Like

Thanks @Gumboil BTW, thanks for being a Patron much appreciated. What you are referring to is the exact reason why we started reviewing other VPNs as we know there are specific situations that people have. One VPN might work better than another for those specific situations. I think I sum it up best in the following article.

Some VPNs work better than others depending on your specific situation.

There’s a lot of factors that can determine how a VPN will perform such as your location, Internet Service Provider, network setup, devices that you use, apps…the list goes on and on.

Keep in mind that Surfshark offers a no-risk 30-day money-back guarantee. If it doesn’t work properly for you, simply ask for a refund.

6 Likes

How true. You need to try varying protocols and servers before giving up. Often that will solve the problem

Every app I install I spend long hours going through the settings. You just never know what gems you may learn or discover. All part of our fun hobby.

3 Likes

Miki who do you like for a VPN getting away from Nord. Thank You.

In all honesty I’ve not found one that works perfectly. Not one. I use Proton VPN which has been very reliable but the settings GUI is lacking in options on streaming devices. Can’t beat it for main OS’s like windows and linux. Never failed me yet.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.