Walmart ONN is a Killer Box - Who needs the Shield

Try it and please let me know :sunglasses:

I couldn’t get DV to work either and I also don’t like the select button . Other than that pretty good for the price. I’ll keep it as a back up.

1 Like

There is HDR10+, HDR10 and HLG support. It does not provide upscaling. But as the * states in my review, some of these might be supported only by passthrough. I’m not into all of these audio/visual formats as I can’t tell a difference anyway. LOL.

2 Likes

You only have about 3 gigs storage on a new box before you add any app and stuff. Check how much storage you have. Maybe you don’t have enough. Don’t know, but it’s worth a look.

1 Like

So, I successfully got my onn box connective to the hotel’s wifi captive portal login this morning. We are traveling this weekend and I brought the Onn and my 4K FS on the trip.

Again, the FS and it’s silk browser opens the captive portal login just fine like it always has. No struggles there - point for Amazon. :wink:

On the Onn - I tried a few browser methods to open the captive portal properly for wifi connect.

• Browser from Downloader app.
  • Puffin Browser for TV
  • Chrome Broswer, sideloaded.

Downloader wouldn’t handle the redirect. Just blank.
Puffin - mostly worthless. Just kept circle loading.
Chrome - impossible to remote navigate. *Mouse toggle didn’t work for tlthe onn - I suspect it didn’t play nice with the OS version.

I finally got it to connect using Jiopages (which I haven’t been a huge fan of in the past), but at least it navigates with remote and its air cursor decently. You have to make sure you disable popup window blocker in setup and the redirect works properly. If you don’t, then it hangs.

Nonetheless it works fine and I was able to goof around with proper internet connectivity before checking out this morning.

I’ll feel comfortable about bringing the Onn box on my future travels now without bringing a backup FS for those contingency moments.

I’ll copy this post on a new thread in case anyone else didn’t figure it out yet.

2 Likes

There’s got to be an APK for the Silk browser that can be installed on the Onn box or other Android devices. Wonder if that would work best.

1 Like

Powerfader, if you are responding to my post about subtitles, I have 2.7 gigs of storage.

That’s good to see. If you end up trying it out, let us all know what your thoughts are. :+1:

It works. Just need to get the right version. I’m going out of town in a couple weeks and might test it out on the Onn box. Not going to travel with my Shield.

I got to spend about an hour or so this evening with the Onn box re-attached to my primary HT.

Here’s what I ended up with.

• HDR10 & HLG outputs properly.
  • Dolby Vision does not. I only get audio and subs.
  • DD+, Dolby Atmos, and DTS outputs and decodes fine.

This is the same site as my Shield which outputs all of the above, including DV just fine.

No HDMI 2.1 features on either.

HDR settings display on onn box merely confirms what your display is capable of and of which the box enables accordingly based on its limits.

DV would have been nice, but difficult to license and implement at the sub $20 price point.

Despite that, it still appears that hdr10+ is supported. Although less content and hardware backing, it’s still a win for Samsung 4k displays and other supporting brands.

Yup I have a Samsung 4K and HDR10 working on the ONN Box

I’m sure you’re emphasizing that you’re getting proper hdr10+ output from box to your Samsung display.

Baseline hdr10 shouldn’t be much of a problem with most 4k panels.

It’s the dynamic Metadata and tone mapping of hdr10+ and DV that are on many people’s wish and hope lists for their devices these days.

…that and, hopefully one day, 4k120 support.

Samsung was a primary backer in the adoption of HDR10+. Amazon is the major provider supporting hdr10+ through Prime Video. 20th Century Fox is the lone studio backer.

Practically everything else is Dolby Vision, including Netflix, Apple TV.

The other reason why it’s more viable to support hdr10+ in most devices with a lower price point is cost. HDR10+ is open source and license free. Dolby Vision is proprietary and would come with license costs.

There will always be fans of both formats and merits why some brands, providers, and studios chose one over the other. Most will agree that one is perceived as superior over the other.

Reminds me of the whole HD-DVD vs Blu-ray battle between respective backers Toshiba and Sony.

1 Like

The Troypoint procedure to add storage to Old Onn TV boxes has been removed from Troypoint.

I thought somebody posted a fix for the new ONN box and a hotel/motel captive portal wifi? Anyway, it involved manually setting the date and time on the ONN box and then access to the portal was available. Maybe the Marriott captive portal is different?

“Who needs the Shield”

Futurama

2 Likes

I will get a new video for this uploaded to YouTube when I have time.

YouTube deleted all of my videos last year.

2 Likes

Hmm, I’m going to have to take a deeper dive in the forum to see if I can review that date/time technique. I didn’t pull up that reference during my first go around.

There are different implementations of captive portal use, especially at different hotel brands.

For now, the suitable browser method did work for me - but I’d like to see if there is indeed a more streamlined method, as you suggested.

2 Likes

How did you get Dolby Vision

Are you replying to the right person? I don’t think I commented in the audio output discussion. Seems nobody is able to get DV. But I find it odd that they would list it under “Disabled”. What company wants to announce that they don’t have it? Seems there should be a way to enable it if it is listed like this. Future update?

(5) Walmart ONN Google TV Review - $20 4k Streaming Box - 2023 Version - YouTube

1 Like