VPNs fail security check, including Surf Shark

2 Likes

@Miki

Im going to close this temporarily, i have something to say about vpns and security but im at work. So i want everyone to wait for my response comes in before questions and panic set in.

Just on this subject and that link. I have disagreements.

1 Like

I think we are getting a little ahead of ourselves with vpn security.

They are not ment to stop attacks in your system, if you are infected, disconnect your internet, cable line from the modem completely, boot in safe mode and remove all infected software, reinstall all secuirty and turn on vpn then internet.

Vpns do encrypt your data from isp eyes and big tech. Anything you do on any app can be monitored by the apk and your isp, what vpns do is fake that info and encrypt it to mask all your info and ip adress. What the vpns dont do is spoof your hardware which isnt something to worry about unless you are using hack software. Vpns may install a back door system but its not to infect you, its to setup a lets say spoofing method, yes if a hacker was to target you thats what they would go after to bypass your vpn and steal info, but highly unlikely, and it is possible for thr vpns to log info, but this is why we cant stress enough a ZERO LOG POLICY

Its higly unlikely a verified vpn will use this as malicious intent. The reason these security checks probably fail because you can use this system as malicious intent, but thats biased if you ask me, any program you install on your pc or app on mobile has the potential to be extremely malicious without your knowledge. Which is why you need to be super careful. This also means false positive happen because of how an app or program operates, that will almost always fail a security check.

Look at netflix, they can see anything you do in their app.

Another example of ip masking is this, for example website admins can see you login with your assigned ip, by masking it with a vpn you take that away, which less of a chance for sketch sites to geo trace that ip and try to find your mask ip or ethernet info. Or try to do backdoor hacks. Vpns dont block attackers, but they do scramble data for isps, websites and anyone els looking into internet traffic. Its important to note that credible vpns will not give you issues or use their service for malicious intent. I understand what this article is saying but take it with a grain of salt. Logging that info and reporting it to a govermebt agency defeats the purpose of a vpn.

Troypoint team does a good job a discussing this. Now as far as this article goes yes scummy service’s or free vpns can mask themselves as helpful but install a root into your system (keylog honey pot rat Trojan) but thats done by illegally run and highly modded software which run by scammers. Stick with the known protection and you should be safe.

For online data encryption, vpn. For security and malaware, other security software.

You can backtrace ip addresses to locate you and the type of system you are running and try to upload data into your system if not properly protected, which is why you do need to protect yourself. These are extreem measures and wont happen to a common user wanting to watch tv and movies with rd and syncler or kodi, but im just giving you guys background info.

Always protrct your online data, especially when using payment.

7 Likes

Always good to have as much information as possible, from all sources. Tx @TP-Dracoo .

1 Like

Great info! The original article does some disservice to the VPN providers. To explain some legitimate operational routines in a manner designed to influence users into thinking there is a deliberate, even malicious vulnerability in the service is very, very harsh. In all my years online, I’ve yet to meet anyone who has been a victim of fraud or been hacked via a direct route from their use of VPN.

6 Likes

Agree completely. I was surprised that this was even possible, but at the same time it figures. Someone can always find ways to abuse trust. @TP-Dracoo made some great points.

1 Like