VPN/Torrent issue

Hello all:

Have a maybe odd question about downloading torrent files. I use IPvanish for my VPN. Seems to work fine on my streaming apps. But when I try to download a file from a link in qbittorrent, files that download quickly with plenty of seeds without VPN, loose all seeds and (of course) don’t download with IPvanish connected. Is this typical? Does a VPN block or prevent the use of some seeds?

Its possible. I have been out of the torrent game for some time now but people who trade torrents are usually targeted by law enforcement and many VPN’s dont want to get messed up in that while others care less. Sooooo im guessing here IPVanish is a rather popular vpn so I would think that yes they could be dropping your torrents. To find out for sure you could contact them and ask.

@sktn77a

What’s probably happening is the vpn is targeting those seeders has malicious and auto blocking them from your Downloader causing less seeds.

You can still get seeds, I would recommend full encryption Downloader like deluge. I can’t remember if ipvanish has this but nord gas a p2p encryption inculded that you use for torrneting downloads. I’m pretty sure most vpns have it, it allows for protection and less intervention with seed gathering.

Deluge encryption also includes the pool the program goes into to get the data for the torrent. WB for example flags these to nab people for getting those torrents thats why you get the emails, they are trying to pinpoint the uploader.

1 Like

Yes, IPvanish doesn’t have any options like NordVPN for P2P. I suspect you are both right - it’s the VPN services that are doing it. I guess that almost obviates the need for a VPN!

I’ll look into Deluge. Thanks.

Its almost like you need to hide every app from every other app and then hide it from its self :face_with_monocle:

@sktn77a

Even with the deluge full encryption still best to do with a vpn.

1 Like

Just tried Deluge. A very slight difference in terms of full/partial seeders with IPvanish but not different enough to adopt it for general use. Maybe I’ll try it for special cases but I’ll keep qbittorrent for general use.

Thanks again!

@sktn77a

Forgot to mention you need to configure it, select all your incoming and outgoing to unlimited and a few others to unlimited. You can also add seeders.