VPN Speeds ever faster?

I’ve tried several VPNs on the firestick. Currently using Nord. My speed is choked down about half, sometimes lower at times. I have found this common with a lot of other vpns.

I’ve tried all the settings, connecting to closer servers, ports, etc.

Is this just a common thing or is there something better?

Thanks

Probably need to do some research as its a common thing, vpns will always slow your speed down so it can encrypt the data. Some are faster than others but it depends on a few things. Please look this info up. It’s a bit of info.

3 Likes

Closer servers are not always the solution. Try different servers in larger markets like NY, Dallas or LA. Another factor is cables, connections etc. Vary protocols as well.

1 Like

ProtonVPN has “speedup” coding that boasts up to %400 faster connections. My ISP package is a 100Mbps down line and I get a steady 80+. Using Wireguard.

That’s also the same as the new settings in SS or IPvanish that are suppose to help speed up your connection. Same thing.

All its doing is speeding up the encryption process without to much sacrifice on down speed. The vpn bogging down your speed isnt going anywhere and truly depends on your internet speed and devices its used on.

2 Likes

Ever since I got Proton and set it up my speeds on a 100 line using it never fall below 80Mbps. So however it’s doing it, it works.

1 Like

I’m not sure how & why speeds with & without VPNs are so different…you only have a 20% speed loss, yet I get about 850Mbps with no VPN & 150-200 with it on. That’s apprx a 75% reduction…hardwired, good box specs…wireguard…everything clean on my end…strange…???

I have a similar story about speed. Pretty big difference. Rarely have buffering issues though

Strange thing is…when I had 300Mbps clean speed from my ISP…I’d get 150Mbps thru my VPN…&
everything was the same…now it’s only cut in half…so basically the same VPN speed with 500+Mbps from ISP. No biggie…it’s way more than enough to stream…just downright weird. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

That’s why I’m asking. I guess I’m not the only one!

What is your clean speed w/out VPN?

About 500 or so pre vpn on the stick

Copy…guessing you get about the same as me…? 150-ish Mbps…? Cable or fiber?

Yeah, probably. It’s cable

Not sure how Nord ranks on speed, but it sounds like you’re right in line with most people I’ve seen post about their speeds here. The hows & whys…I’m not sure anyone can answer. From my experience, higher ISP speeds don’t equate to proportionally higher VPN speeds…but good enough for gubment work, as they say :roll_eyes: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

i live in canada just off the island of montreal and i have the same problem with nord vpn,up to 500 without and 190 to 210 with,so is it vpn to blame or cable.

Your only losing 60% of your ISP speed so you’re doing better than moi’. It’s the VPN that’s doing it…we know why VPNs slow speeds (encryption protocols) we/I just don’t know why higher ISP speeds equate to higher % of loss when using the VPN. :face_with_monocle: Or do they…???

Didn’t someone mention that Open Protocol entails “camouflage mode” and thus you get lesser speeds? I went to Open, because I thought wireguard was kicking me off internet, but am getting pathetic 10 mpbs speeds (400 without VPN). And Open has hot stopped my SS Kill Switch from kicking me off internet twice per day. Tried a bunch of different servers. Going back to Wireguard I guess.

Yes…that’s what was said…camo mode thru either Open protocol. I got a very slow 25 myself…not sure why there is such a big difference or why some people do well with Open…? :thinking: Only suggestions I can put forth are: dump & reinstall the SS app…get with their support & try to hold their tootsies to the fire. There’s something drastically wrong with those speeds…when my clean ISP speeds were 300+ I would get 150Mbps thru Wireguard.

1 Like

I switched from Wi-Fi to direct 1 gigabit LAN cable connections for my streaming devices and it made a big difference while using my vpn, which doubled download/upload speeds from 50/15 mbs to 150/30 mbs. Absolutely no buffering at any time with my iptv. I have up to 300 mbs download/30 mbs upload service from my internet service.

1 Like