VPN monitor dot & OLED burn in

Hi all,
I’m upgrading my tv to oled and was wondering if anyone knows if the vpn monitor dot can cause burn in?

thanks.

New OLED panels no longer get burn in.

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I had read that they were susceptible to the burn-in, which always made me iffy about buying one. They are so expensive, and the fact that my family uses them when I’m not home, I would be worried sick haha. Sounds like maybe they have corrected this over time.

1 Like

From my research, when I was looking to purchase the top of the line Samsung OLED just 3 months ago, I raised that very question. After extensive reading the issue became a non starter as it’s no longer an issue with the latest panels. I can’t speak to older models, but just the latest OLEDs.

2 Likes

From what I saw on Digital Trends youtube its less of a risk today as long as you don’t spend days watching a channel with static images or days gaming where there might also be a static image present. Anyway I bought anLG G3 and I love it.

thanks all for the replies

1 Like

LG is top shelf these days. That and a good sound System and ya can’t go wrong.

Have found this youtube channel entertaining and informative researching tv’s

1 Like

I have a LG C2. It doesn’t have any areas of burn-in…though it’s only been subjected to static images (or part thereof) for only a couple hours at most.

Spoiler - I love this TV.

New OLED screens CAN still have burn in, though very difficult to do so with new resistant technologies baked in to prevent such.

LG panels use a combination of features to help reduce the chance of image retention.
I

• Pixel Move. (This feature moves the screen over a few pixels at regular internals - especially if it detects static logos or black bars)
  • Auto logo brightness dimming.
  • Screensaver
  • Pixel Wash/Refresh auto/manual tool.

Despite new OLED panels being more resistant to image rentention burns, it’s still possible. If set to high brightness and no pixel compensation features enabled, it can still happen.

VPN dot is a dim green dot - it shouldn’t be an issue at all, especially if you own a modern oled that has similar anti-burn features.

@Miki - even newest Samsung panels don’t do DV. With so much prominent DV source material out there, I’m surprised you’d overlook this shortcoming in the panel.

DV isn’t an issue and wasn’t an oversight at all. HDR and HDR 10+ is every bit as good IMHO. I love Samsung and my phones and tablets are also Samsung. So with their apps everything integrates seamlessly. The one connect box and the component integration was a flawless process. One cable to the TV and all peripherals plug into the box, not the TV. Once setup, additional components added are auto detected and connected without additional input from me. With added app on my phone, remote configuration and any changes I want to make doesn’t need multiple remotes. Both my TV and soundbar remotes have never even been used. I havevl used Samsung for a number of years so I’m familiar with how it all works, making it quite easy for me. As for Tizen, that’s a non starter as I use my Shield, Firestick, or Buzz devices attached not the Tizen OS.

1 Like

I wasn’t implying that HDR10+ wasn’t as visually good as DV. There’s just more DV source material out there being streamed, either on VOD or mainline streaming services.

I honestly wish that LG and Samsung would cross implement both encodings, similar to how Hisense, Vizio, etc has no issues doing.

Oh I agree and I know the avaiability of DV but that hasn’t been my experience with availability. In Stremio I find just as many HDR sources as DV and DV|HDR, and with the Shield upscaling 1080 and 4k are readily available and Wow my home theater setup is amazing and every movie I watch saves us about $70 compared to going to the theater.

Well - if we can ever get a new shield with the one major feature upgrade I’m waiting for - 4k120 - we’ll both see a new level of eye candy.

I hate being bottlenecked at 60hz right now.

1 Like

The picture is great but what has been a pain is a recent update that knocked out my avr, nothing I could think of would pass sound to the avr. The solution was to turn everything off and unplug from power and unplug all the hdmi’s and for good measure I did a factory reset ( 3rd time), just hope I don’t need to do that for future updates.

Cheers for the video’s not seen them before :+1:

Most times it’s an audio passthrough option that needs enabling.

Does any one consider TV operating system when making a buying choice?

After all availability of apps could be a factor. There was a time when certain Apps from UK broadcasters were not available on new smart tv

Recommendations from someone who reviewed OLED TVs for 10 years

I don’t take into consideration the Tizen OS on Samsung TV’s or any TV OS for that matter as their processing specs are usually quite bad and the restrictions for apps is insane. I relay on a good streaming device to supply my video content and apps that I use. Many more options and then combined with the TV’s video feature my home theater experience is awesome. The same goes for my sound, I do not rely on the poor quality tiny speakers in my TV I have a quality external system for that. So for me the TV is mostly just a big monitor and the GPU is used more than anything else.

1 Like

4 Month Update! QD-OLED Burn-in & 4 Failures From 100 TV Test

8 Month Update! OLED Burn-in vs. Temporary Image Retention & Buggy Compensation Cycles

10 Month Update! Permanent Burn-In On OLEDs & QD-OLED Monitors

If you’re intending on using a primary streaming and media device on your TV, then the smart OS that’s baked in to the new TV (like Tizen or WebOS) isn’t really relevant.

I rarely ever use my TV’s WebOS smart system.

1 Like