VPN IPVanish vs Proton

I have a subscription to IPVanish but occasionally had problems although over all I like the product, the subscription ends near end of 2023.
The other day I connected to Proton VPN which I had used occasionally in the past with mix results.
Much to my surprise I have found Proton VPN out performing IPVanish on a pretty consistent basis. I have a 200 Mbps connection the speed tests to about 240 or so on both my fire sticks and Onn 4k Chromecast clone and any time I connect the VPN I speed test, on Fire stick using the built-in test and Analiti on Android TV.
I just ran both for this post and IPVanish (using wireguard) 61 Mbps (connected to fastest available in my case Chicago) and Proton VPN in this case connected to the US and got 97 Mbps.
Just as a note I got 57Mpbs using IPVanish and IKE.
Now I understand that speeds can change with any connection, re-connections, time of day, between test even minutes apart but I have seen Proton VPN out performing on a pretty consistent basis.
This wasn’t true in the past as I remember so I posted this because it is interesting! Oh, another interesting thing is Proton VPN often recommends Netherlands as a server and I get similar results with that connection as well.

2 Likes

I believe Proton is still good for USTVGO, also.

1 Like

Proton does have “speedup” coding. I have had it for over 6 months and because of the speeds I bought a 2 yr sub. Big mistake. The app, by their own admission, is not designed or meant for streaming devices and it isn’t something they intend on fixing. My bad for not doing better research. Tons of settings and setup options on a phone or computer but are not available on say a 4k max. Options like adware/malware blocking is not available. No way to access for tunneling etc. Troy did a review on Proton a while back and he didn’t like it.

1 Like

Thanks proton has a strict no logs policy Thanks for info I will keep that in mind.

Analiti ipvanish on protocol=(IKEV2)

Protocol= (open VPN (udp)

Protocol=(open VPN (tcp)

Protocol=(Wireguard)

No VPN this is for comparison for people to see while VPN slows you down still plenty up to 8k.
I hope I’m not over posting or boring people with these oversized post. Kinda nice to be involved again I had my own website Sat days and we had teamspeak and I really loved it miss the camaraderie and fun. I been with Troypoint a long while but was hesitant to post because some people get a little testy. I’m not trying to be know it all cause I know nothing and can prove it. LOL just trying to help let me know when you all are tired of my too long of posts.

All this results on Cube Gen 2 wireless.
While 3 phones and too other units 2 cubes 1 4k max and 4 cells oh and voip phone.

Thanks for taking time to reply. The first time I used Proton VPN I would have totally agreed with Troy’s review. I did see in a long time ago, my only point is it seems to be much better than before.
I am using both VPNs depending on which works better on any given day and have no desire to promote either.
I am using the free version because I only use one device at any given time.
I only suggest that folks might have a second look, as for streaming, that is all I use it for, works for me, can’t comment on it’s suitability beyond my experiences.

Speeds have always been good. My point is, on things like the 4k Max you cannot open a settings GUI to configure anything. Not even split tunneling.

1 Like

That is a excellent point, I don’t use the VPN except for streaming with some questionable apps if you get my meaning so I was never bothered by the lack of configuration. I would like it if I could get more precise information about the location of the servers beyond country and I do like the options in IPVanish.
I haven’t tried Surfshark yet but I probably will consider it when I have to make a decision about renewal.
Again, thanks for the reply.

You do have access to the full listing of countries, Cities, and server numbers. That is one thing you can do. lol.

You do but it really doesn’t provide location as in what city for example or even regional beyond country. Not exactly useful, to me at least.

Yes it does. In Proton you are given various countries to click and then after that you get a gui of all the cities as well as server numbers and load.

1 Like

Interesting, first it is probably the free version compared to a subscripted version.
On my Fire stick 4k ( old version not max) when I select the US has a sentence about Access more apps with the Plus plan. On my Fire stick lite there is selections as with the there is with the 4k stick, “CONNECT”, “STREAM WITH PlUS” (with a lock icon) and a arrow at the bottom for Server List.
Onn Chromecast 4k has the same as the fire stick lite.
In the server list it shows US-FREE#X (where X is a 1 to five digit number) and if you scroll down shows locked state servers for example US-CO#1, all of the server listings include a %Server Load.
My fire stick 4k has none of that.
So if you pay I guess you get to select a state or maybe more but not in the free version.

yes, protons free vpn is limited in several ways. Just call it a gateway and imho the only free one you can trust. I use all proton services except the vpn and its a great company.

2 Likes

I’m also leaning toward the fact that I’ve been reading about Giv and vpns internet providers also wouldn’t surprise me if providers are making it harder to use. Hollywood and music powerful. It’s amazes me that when music services sharing like Napster how they traced caught all these people for sharing downloading music and actually sue a 80 yr old Grandma for grand kids dl/ing music and internet provider companies jump on board reporting their customers and sending out threatening letters to scare and stop sharing music and movies oh and let’s not forget silk road they get em all. So I’m sure they are all gonna start ending VPN as fast as they can.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.