Using a tablet as a phone

I am toying around with downloading an app called Google Voice. This app enables you to be able to make and receive calls and text on my tablet.

My question is, is this worth while and practical? Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Is it safe?

Sure do @Powerfader Have had it as a “backup” phone number for years. Works well when I use it (very seldom)…you can slap it on yer tablet, laptop, phone…anywhere you want.

2 Likes

Used it years ago and it worked great.

1 Like

I have used it for years. Free and works great. The very very very best things. NO SPAM OR ROBO CALLS!!! EVER. NEVER RECEIVED ANY ON THAT NUMBER

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I am going to go ahead with this.

Should I port my number, or is it better to use one of theirs?

2 Likes

I used theirs. If you port your number you will be on the robocalls list too. But your choice. You may not want to lose your number. I just kept my cell phone number and use this as a backup. It’s free anyway. Good luck.

2 Likes

Hey PF…I agree with @Abbityler I wouldn’t give up your #…just get GV & try it out for a while first.

2 Likes

If I remember they give you a list of numbers to pick from

3 Likes

I keep remembering things sorry. But I’ve had Google Voice for over 8 years. The only calls I ever get are from people I have given my number.

1 Like

Have had it for years. Use it sparingly and mostly only for situations I have to give out a phone number for something and have no intention of giving the other party my real number

1 Like

Update: well, I did install and got it up and running. The only issue I have is it won’t ring on my fire hd tablet. I can make calls, text and everything else, but I cannot receive calls on my tablet. If I I leave my phone connected as a source it will forward the call to my phone, but that is not acceptable for me.

I did a bit of research concerning this issue and have learned of a compatibility problem using GV with Amazon going back for a few years. I am wondering if me changing the Fire tablet using the Fire toolbox might have anything to do with it.

But for now I uninstalled GV until such time as I can find a solution.

Thanks for everyone’s help.

2 Likes