Using 4k Max to record onto expanded drive

Another poster’s question is prompting my question:

Does the Fire Stick 4k Max with the added USB memory store the recording on the USB drive, the same as it does on my ONN Android Box?

2 Likes

If you format as external then recordings are stored on the drive, if formatted for internal then only apps can be loaded onto it. Now I don’t record, never saw the need with all the VOD stuff, but some like recording live sports to watch later. So knowing that, it is my understanding that you cannot format a drive, attached to the Max, for both external and internal, only one or the other.

3 Likes

Thank-you Miki…
I do like to record FB and a couple other things that aren’t available on demand, so at least I can figure out my strategy for replacing the FS that I just gave a friend.

3 Likes

Hi. Maybe u just might have tha answer to thid. I’m reasonably new to all this stuff but became very interested when i learned that tvmate has the abilityvto record. I like rugby so I thought ihit the jackpot.

Not so! No matter what r how i format the external drive. The program wont record. It seems to start but promptly stops and in the record golder I see an exclamation mark and that it only recorded for a matter of seconds.

I used to think initially it was because of my speed. But I’ve changed providers and currently have average speeds of 50+ but most times in excess of that. I just cant seem to find any answers/possible reasons why this is the case.

Following the various videos etc it seems to b a simple process. In a way; it does what it says on the tin. I know of partition, but as I dont want to move my drive to a pc etc. I dont think partition will make any difference, r will it? Thank u in advance. Hopefully u r somebody out thete might have a simple explanation and remedy (to follow). :+1:t2:

1 Like

I never record to be honest. But we do have those that do this. @TXRon in my opinion, knows the most about recording using TiViMate. So I think I’ll bow out of this thread as I honestly have nothing to help you with.

3 Likes

1st & foremost…do you have more than 1 connection with your iptv service…if not, when you record are you channel surfing, which would instantaneously stop your recording? :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

Hi. Thanks for coming back to me. No, I dont have any morecthan 1 connection. But I understand that part as I have a record finction on the freeview. Same principle. No chanel hopping while recording.

Hoping that doesnt come across as a ‘know all’ :man_student:! Because, that I most certainly am not! :no_mouth:

1 Like

Roger that…it’s been a common problem that many have overlooked in the past so I usually open with it…just in case :face_with_peeking_eye: If you have a minute…not sure I understand this:

I thought you were using Tivimate…? What is freeview?

1 Like

1 of the times when u realize u said something that didn’t need to b said. FYI. Freeview referred to is my terrestrial tv service. I also use tvmate as part of iptv. Mostly for catching up on rugby. Hoping I could record items on iptv while herself is watching something on the ‘normal’ terrestrial tv. (1 tv, in the living room)

1 Like

I hear ya…90% of what I say really doesn’t need to be said…I’ve been called a jabber jaw…& they’re absolutely right…ha ha…sigh :roll_eyes:

Without knowing the reliability of your iptv service as it pertains to buffering freeze…be aware that any little hiccup with the stream while recording in Tivimate will stop the whole process. Now, if you normally don’t see or have that problem while watching the channel/s that carry your rugby matches, I would suggest watching different channels & recording for several minutes while you’re watching…then check on the recording & see if it worked properly. That way, you can eliminate any recording process error & go from there. I record w/Tivimate & very seldom ever have any problems. When/if I do…it’s usually due to a problem with the stream buffer freezing.

2 Likes

I read this over a few times to understand it. Freeview was forced to close earlier this year, that’s what threw me off. You mean Free View as in OTA? Ahhh I may have been mistaken, it was free2view that got shut down, not freeview.

I shouldnt have mentioned Freeview at all. There was no need. I was making reference to our local terrestrial tv. Thanks for the follow up anyway. :+1:t2:

2 Likes

oh its all good @thehud . No harm in mentioning freeview. I actually posted 10 pages of F.A.S.T. links.

1 Like

Yeah. I’ve tried recording and watching. Same result. Stream is fine but the record doesnt work. Even when I try to record to the firestick itself, using the default folder. It doesn’t work. So (hopefully) following all the instructions on troypoint etc. I set up an external option usinf a usb stick and a much latger hard drive, and (think I am) selecting the correct path. Still doesn’t work.

I’m confused and really frustrated. If i knew I was diong everything right and it just wasn’t working out for me. I’d take a bit of comfort from that, in an ‘odd’ way.

I’m obliged to u (and the other patrons) for taking the time to respond. Thanks :+1:t2:

2 Likes

I’m curious now. What are ‘F.A.S.T. links’? :thinking:

1 Like

Copy…you are using Tivimate Premium…paid for a year or lifetime…correct? Sorry, if you obviously are…but the player not recording at all is very weird. Only other thing I would suggest is to do a backup…look for it in your file manager to make sure you have it…then uninstall tivimate & download a fresh copy from Troy’s RAI…then just do a restore of your playlists/settings. If you’ve already tried all this…then disregard & maybe somebody else will have some other suggestions. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Free Ad Supported Television.

Premium paid, lifetime. I have gone thru several uninstalls and reinstalls. Including from Troypoint RAI. All with same ‘non’ result. Although I think I just learned something new from what u mentioned about backing up tvmate. Am I reading correctly that f I keep a backup. I won’t have to keep inputting a the required details every time i do a reinstall?

Otherwise. I get the impression this isn’t going to work out for me. :disappointed_relieved:

Yep…then when you enter your login credentials for Tivi…you just go down & hit restore, follow the prompts & you’re good to go. I do a number of backups & send them to my other devices…especially when I add or drastically change something.

Really scratchin’ my noggin on why your player won’t record… :thinking: :eyes: Maybe when
@TXRon logs on & sees he’s being summoned by his minions he’ll have some fresh insight. :saluting_face:

Edit: Only have to enter login credentials if you download a new tivimate player…& that would be for the player only not any iptv service/playlist.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.