Use your tv usb power and add 2 tb storage on 4k Max

2 Likes

I just watched the video and he’s using a ‘power booster’ to up the ‘juice’ from a TV’s USB port.

The ‘booster’ isn’t plugged into a wall outlet, which I found surprising considering that no device in the universe can deliver more power than it’s supplied…and in fact the laws of thermodynamics dictate that any device cannot deliver as much as it’s supplied.

The Mission Cable’s device’s scheme is to store energy when the FS isn’t demanding it & releasing it as the FS requires it. I can buy that scheme because energy storage/release capacitor &/or inductor circuits have been around way before the age of semiconductors. What I wasn’t aware of is that FS’s power demands would vary enough while in use for such a scheme to work.

Very true about power as you said. Regarding the high storage well that goes back to my original dilemma of not being able to direct the downloads of apps to an external source. It’s possible that some specific apps do it or else the need to an external usb stick or drive is absurd. How many apps is one going to put on. Hell 4k would be overkill, never mind 32 / 64 gb and then what he spoke about.

This is still a project almost dead for me but I know Miki will also take a look see in the near future to see if we can sort this out.

I am guessing this power adapter had no problems with usb extender cables as I can tell you, my usb port on my TV and the HDMI port I plug into on my receiver would need a 6 foot extension for sure.

Great find Miki. I am sure many people will have use for this. A price check is in order.

2 Likes

It’s $22 from Amazon.

1 Like

So around $35 CDN dollars but actually can`t even find it in Canada although the brand has ones for chromecast.

1 Like

He states you could plug into any usb port, but doesn’t specific usb ports on your TV have different power capabilities? If so, then wouldn’t you be limited to using only those ports that have enough power capabilities to run the stick in the first place.

I remember back in the day when I used FS and not always was a port on my TV powerful enough to run the stick. In fact, I remember getting pop-up warnings when I would try doing some things on the stick.

The very reason he states why someone would power their stick in this fashion is the very reason I did so for my bedroom device. I like to fall asleep listening to the TV but found when using the sleep timer on the TV it would turn off the TV but NOT the FS. Plugging the FS into the back of the TV rectified that issue by also turning off the power source to the stick.

I wonder if this trick would work on a Nvidia.

Btw, I have written to Nvidia and asked if they would consider ever adding a sleep timer in one of their software upgrades. That was several years ago and still have never heard back. lol

2 Likes

But no Ethernet…so no thanks. I’m a hardwired kinda guy and cable management is no problem.

2 Likes

I’m sure you could add an ethernet adapter in the mix. Personally I use a powered hub and house current. I’ve never trusted the USB power on a TV as the Firesticks have always been sensitive to power fluctuations.

I read somewhere that the Firesticks don’t necessarily need more than 1/2 amp for normal streaming, but they tend to need more for large updates…hence their 1 amp rating. I believe the TV usb ports are rated @ 1/2 amp, so therein lies one of the power fluctuation dilemmas you mentioned. You’ve got a lot more practical experience with the sticks normal operation than moi’…but what I read about the updates/power needs made sense so I thought I’d share. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

You’re exactly right. I used to have a FS plugged into a usb port on my tv and could stream as normal, but when there was an update, I would get a pop-up stating that my power source was insufficient.

2 Likes

Roger that…I have no idea what today’s TVs USB ports are rated at…with all the gadgets that are around these days, I would imagine they are upping them a bit…but not sure…guess checking some specs would give us that answer tho. I do remember a number of FS updates that took forever to download, so those could be the culprits…but I think I always plugged into a wall outlet or power strip so don’t remember it shutting down or getting any popups. :thinking: Then again, I don’t remember what I had for supper last nite…so :roll_eyes: :eyes:

1 Like

I only connected power that way for my bedroom unit because I could set the TV’s sleep timer and it would power off the TV and FS.

2 Likes

Thanks Miki, heres the followup telling how to add Ethernet to the Mix…and Velcro to your Sticks!! (Starting at the 5:40 mark):
🔥 MOST INSANE FIRESTICK SETUP - FULL GUIDE - YouTube

2 Likes

Other than the 2 TB ssd that’s close to what I have, and I have it velcroed on top of my TV. I am not going to use the USB on my TV though, as I don’t see the need. My hub is a powered one and I’m plugged into a power bar with surge protection that sits hidden behind my sound bar under my wall mounted Samsung. I also only have a 64 GB Sandisk usb 3.0 drive as I don’t record anything, but I may need to do it for an added option to sell my customers. I bought 3 of the Smay’s powered hubs but one of the power cords has already gone wonky.

2 Likes

Thinks adding external storage for your customers so they can download with ADM would be a good selling feature, if we could actually get it to work properly. Nudge nudge, wink wink, say no more, say no more.

As soon as this operation is over and my Shield configured I’ll give this a go. Lots of things needing my attention. Plenty to keep me busy.

2 Likes

It’s available at Amazon Canada
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B078KSHVCS/ref=emc_b_5_t

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.