Update Samsung Galaxy S7 to Android 9.0

I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 that runs Android 8.0. It is an old phone and they do not update the software anymore. I wanted to try and put Android 9.0 on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Just something I want to mess around with.

I hope you find a way because I have one as well and I really like it. Having said that, there is one app only that will not run on anything less than 9 because the company is myopic. I am doubtful it can be done, certainly not in any normal way. I wonder if the hardware can handle it.

From what I have read so far the hardware can handle it. Seems like there are ways to do it but trying to sort through them is a task. In the last week or two I have had several apps on the phone that will not work on anything below Android 9.0. I will keep doing research and then finally take the plunge. One of those hero or zero moments.

Been a long time since I’ve done anything like this, but I believe you’d have to root your phone and then flash a custom ROM. You’re best off joining one of the android forums and discussing it there.

2 Likes

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-9-0-oneui-g935x-g930x-blackdiamond-n8-port-v10-0.3827982/

I hope you get it done. I am not sure I want to jeopardize by phone however. I do have an old backup LG but I think before I messed with mine by rooting it, I would need a newer phone. The problem is those phones were good phones, are good phones and even many of the new ones do not have some of the abilities the S7 did. Cost reduction. I can get a new phone like an A14, more of a budget phone and I will almost have less of a phone than my S7. I have been procrastinating. I will not be spending mega bucks on a phone.