Troys Newsletter>>> Troy’s Thoughts – Android TV or Fire TV?

For those who have not read it…very telling in a new direction…

Android TV vs Fire TV – A Complete Breakdown for 2023

4 Likes

I agree TX…

Shout out to our captain for the ‘Troy’s thoughts’ article, i kno its a big move & may hurt/help biz, but i been hoping we’d turn this corner for awhile now, but i understand the dilemma (its how we all started) but its turning into the Fire department lately

Lotsa good chips in diffrnt shapes out there, just buy from a ‘returnable’ source & get at least 4g ram & 32 rom & u shld be good

thanx again Troy

4 Likes

Hmmm. Will GoogleTV actually be better? I think in another few months you might see it differently. From the policy update they sent me it looks like they will lockdown 3rd party apps. So fingers crossed.

1 Like

I guess i look at the Fire & googl OS’s the same, i wouldnt recommend ppl to buy eithr one of them anymore unless they stop squeezing

1 Like

Anything can happen day to day in this hobby. So who knows. At least it is a little comforting that these non-Amazon companies are making money on the boxes. When they make money on the boxes you would think that would equate to less control after. Amazon might as well give the Firesticks out for free, maybe they will now that they are locking so many people into their content and advertisements.

So true. It’s just wrong to entice everyone to buy a 4k Max for a great price, $35 and then in the next breath say, “oh by the way, you can’t remap keys on the remote. You can’t stop the updates. You can’t remove stuff you don’t use if it’s part of our FireTV.” In other words, “buy our device and then we can tell you what we’ll “allow” you to do”. Kinda like buying a car and being told you aren’t allowed to put winter tires on it.

1 Like

I had a new iptv server I was testing yesterday. Fired up my FireTV this morning and a forced update was goin in. After the new update server will no longer connect with SurkShark enabled. Rebooted and just could not even get into Smarters to choose alternate server. Did a force stop. Shutdown VPN as a test and now it works. Im blaming the latest update from Amazon. Any thoughts ???

I have all updates on my Max and have not had any issues like yours. I use ProtonVPN. I have 10 IPTV subs but only use 2.

1 Like

I have Proton but I only have the free version I was testing out. I really like SurkShark. I was using ipVanish for the last couple of years. You using the pro version ?

I thought I had it working again. I had to edit my post here. I can get into new server now but no channels with work. Playback error :frowning:

I have ProtonVPN paid. A 2 yr sub.

Before trying a different vpn. Close the first one, then clear the cache. Do the same for your IPTV player. Then give it another try.

Same problem. I will play around with a few of my alternate iptv players. Luckily I have a Buzz X5 128 AI, MeCool KM2, KM2 Plus, Formuler Z10SE, Topleo i96. Im also a reseller of MeCool & Buzz. LOL

1 Like

Miki, how do you like ProtonVPN? Any problems? I want to get away from NordVPN.

1 Like

ProtonVPN is an excellent product but of course FireTV doesn’t allow for full settings access in the GUI. It has a kill switch, adware, malware and ad blocking. Speed up coding. and on and on. It’s why I paid for 2 yrs. Very stable ptoduct.

1 Like

I had the same Buzz but gave up on it and then caring about updating it. I really dig our KM2 and Formuler Z10 Pro Max not to mention my Wife’s favorite Shield Pro

1 Like

guess what, my buzz x5 was replaced and its doing great now… think maybe I purchased it too soon and the bugs needed worked out. My new one is flawless so far…running right now and testing it before I spend lotsa time setting it up :joy:

3 Likes

Most likely what I did. I purchased right away after I watched the video. I’ve learned. I want the Z11 Pro Max but I’m going to wait a bit longer and make sure things are smooth with it

2 Likes

So are we better off waiting to see what the price for the Walmart ONN device will be before switching over from Firestick? Being new to all this can anyone tell me a good place to learn more about all this cord cutting (Xfinity right now) I read in Troys post that he mentioned that Android TV offers much more apps for streaming. Sorry to sound clueless but gotta start to learn sometime.

www.troypoint.com is the best source for cord-cutting anywhere on the internet. Lots of information in here too, obviously. I would spend a lot of time reading and I promise it will help.