Tivo Stream4k Remote and General Review

I’ve been a firestick user for numerous years and have jailbroke many for friends. I’ve always made a point to “try” stuff when Troy comes out with new evaluations. I purchased the Tivo Stream4k and have been working on it. So far, my big complaint is the remote. Having used the firestick remotes, I can’t seem to find the features on the Tivo remote that makes it easier to move around. The info package that came in the box was pretty worthless in describing the functions of the buttons. Troy’s description was much better. I loaded Wolf Launcher but can figure out how to move the apps around. I miss the features of the three bars to the right of the home key on the firestick remote that allowed one to move things around as well as create folders. I hooked up an OTG cable with a 32 g flash drive but I don’t know how to tell if side loaded apps are going to the flash drive. On the firestick, one can go to settings and applications and see which ones went on the flash drive. Troy didn’t explain that feature very clearly for the Tivo unit. Do I have to go thru the Remote ADB shell process to make that work? I am still sideloading some apps and have not yet used any of the applications. My impression so far is that this Tivo device is “ok”…I am not sure I would recommend this over the firestick 4k (I made just need to play with it more). I would like to see another memo from Troy which explains more of the features…

Anytime you jump between android and fire devices theres a slight learning curve. Once you are on that system you get better as time goes by. The same can be said going back to a fire device. Its just what you are used to. I have used the tivo 4k and yes its different but actually performs pretty good and never really had many problems with it. Its a certified device and as with most of these type devices they tend to get locked down with each update.

Miki, thank you for the link…that solves a lot of my problems…I’ve finished “jailbreaking” my new Stream4k. I used an OTG cable with 32g flash drive…all the apps loaded to the flash drive…other than my initial frustration with the remote, this system is doing everything all my firestick 4k’s can do…At this point I can recommend the Stream 4k but suggest that you have the file that Miki provided to help expedite the use.

2 Likes

TXRon, thanks for your response…I agree about the learning curve…I would have expected the box to include a link to the use of the remote (thanks to Miki)…I found their remote less intuitive than other remotes for firestick knock offs…

1 Like

Has anyone successfully hard wired (ethernet cable) the Tivo 4k with a gigabit adapter? I’m wanting to change from my Max to something else on our sun porch. This stick is enticing except for no Wifi 6. I don’t want a crazy expensive device out there as it is somewhat open to the climate (closed in but not heated/air conditioned), although I do keep a dehumidifier in there at night.

I have never tried but for $19.95 I can hook it up and try for ya :rofl:…just kidding but I wiil try this evening and post back :nerd_face:

Yes sir the tivo4k is hooked up on ethernet, plug and play, didnt have to do anything as it booted up with eth on.

Thanks Ron! That is a cool option. What ethernet adapter do you use? The one that Troy usually recommends? How are the speed tests with it plugged in?

Its a no name adaptor I bought back in the old days when I had a firestick :rofl:

1 Like

To be honest its been awhile since I messed with this tivo and its pretty cool.

It is currently $29 on Amazon. Which is ironic because I would be using Amazon to ditch my Amazon devices… :thinking:

2 Likes

Tivo is tivo, just found you can link your slingtv or prime video account if you want. Pretty nice interface

Out of curiosity, how did you hook it up? Did you use an OTG cable to get the ethernet to work? Is that side USB-c only for storage? I think ugreen makes a gig adapter with USB-c instead of USB. Troy’s setup here: TiVo Stream 4K Review – Read This Before You Buy

But that was for storage. Just trying to picture how one would set this up for gig ethernet.

yea im not using the usb-c at all, just pluged the otg into the power(mini usb I think) and eth in and thats it.

1 Like

Went ahead and ordered the Tivo Stream4k. I didnt go with the ethernet setup, want to try the stick first. I will give my quick review and opinions after I get a chance to fiddle lol.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.