TIVIMATE dead stop no external USB access

One of each 2017 and 2019 pro. I have read and read and read, followed all the things they said to do, reset, started from scratch and read more and followed more for the last three months.

I donā€™t record on the shield but Iā€™m learning. I found the following article very helpful.

Have you tried Plex on the pro?

I really appreciate you trying to help. Much appreciated. This didnā€™t work though. Same outcome as every other directions I followed. Iā€™ve tried with external and Iā€™ve tried with it made internal. It just records for a second to a minute then shuts off.

Sorry Taz. I have no idea if neither of those worked.

Iā€™ve tried pretty much everything out here, this one was different in the app it used to create the folder. Worth a try. Thanks again.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been looking for a solution also so you are not alone. Found this article on Reddit from 9 months agoā€¦

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/10sv895/external_storage_access_issues_androidtv_11_and/?rdt=35195

Iā€™ve successfully recorded on my Shield using Tivimate and pointing the recordings to my Downloader App/ download folder. This is the route it shows>

/storage/emulated/0/ Download/Downloader

@Miki that should be internal storage whereas I think they are trying to record to external and with the shield that should be possible People with this issue are running into scoped storage by android developers and lesser known devices and apps cant seem to deal with it. This is a long time issue and google says its all security related :wink: ā€¦ Nvidea haslearned how to work within scoped storage as has BuzzTV boxes, most others have these issues.

1 Like

Ahh yes tx @TXRon . I thought the comment was they couldnā€™t record to Shield using TiViMate. He did mention he tried internal as well. Iā€™m going to have to get a housing for the Sansung SSD and attach it to the Shield and see what needs to be done for external storage recording. On the Buzz it was just a matter of using the system picker, pointing to the ā€œAndroidā€ which was my SSD, and making a folder called download. More work LOL.

1 Like

on my 2019 shield i had to use system picker in tivimate to direct my recordings to a folder on my ssd drive

1 Like

I have my firestick connect to external usb drive and works great with Tivimate

1 Like

I have two shields. Neither can record on tivimate except occasionally on the one I have using the simcard as internal storage. Iā€™ve been working on this since before I first posted my problem. Live manually created five dozen oaths to five dozen folders on the card for storage. On the one with the card as internal storage it will record one out of 25 tries. On the one with the card as external storage, I never works.

NOW, I have made some discoveries in my bullheaded refusal to give up. If your modem is not stable and drops, Tivimate will quit recording. If your modem isnā€™t programmed to work up to your internet speed plan, it will drop when you are using a couple of devices. So, if you are recording on Tivimate with your old 150mg capable modem and you just got a gig from your internet provider, that modem isnā€™t going to be able to let you text on your iPhone while reading mail, playing a finger game, or playing music on your iPad at the same time you are recording. Something has to give, or thatā€™s my theory.

Iā€™ve just ordered a 1 gig modem, due here Monday. Iā€™m about to find out if unstable signal from ten year old modem causes the dropping Iā€™ve been experiencing which I believe is causing Tivimate to drop recordings or not recording at all. Donā€™t need a router as I have a fairly new Netgear Orbi that has been flawlessly doing its job everywhere else including out in the garage, into the front yard and out into the backyard.

Wish me luck.

Good luck to you. I have no issues recording to my shield and setting up daily recordings. I guess Iā€™ve been lucky. I hope you get it sorted.

The modem was the problem. The modem came, I hooked it up and my tivimate came to life. The app I was using to watch TV stopped spinning and freezing and dropping. It actually stopped all the stuff that had been happening. I spent months going after one thing at a time trying to find out the cause and fix it. I bought another Shield because it was worse in the room with the Fire stick than in the room with the Shield. I didnā€™t consider the modem because when I tested speed it was up there in the high 200s. I didnā€™t consider that it might be constantly dropping, but then when it picked up, it resumed high speeds. Only when I ran out of all other options did I think about that, and that was the answer. When my modem dropped for longer than a second, the recording stopped.

Tivimate is now recording like a champ on both devices. The little blips and burps that happened while watching TV, that I thought was just a normal part of the deal are gone.

Magic eh? Jeesh.

PS: In all this I noticed the Orbi satellite sitting next to the Shield has an Ethernet port. Surprise surprise. I hooked that up to the Shield, changed to Ethernet from network just to see, and Iā€™ll be darned, it got even better. Little bit faster and a little bit better picture.

Wow. Way to go taz. Just goes to show we all get stuck in a rut sometimes and overlook stuff. Tx for sharing and reminding us that sometimes we need to look at the whole picture. Awesome.

Thatā€™s the truth, I kept overlooking the obvious because it didnā€™t seem to be the problem. Had I looked at the obvious first, Iā€™d have not wasted months. A lesson to myself as well. Donā€™t discard the obvious even though it doesnā€™t seem to YOU to be the problem. :+1: